What was your first fix?

Uncle Ben

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So...I'd like to hear some stories about what got each of you started? How long you've been CRH? And of course an approx. lifetime score for you silver hounds. I'd like to hear about the Studs as well as the newbies. I'll take first shot.
I'm at a local bank where I go every weekday for the last 10 years for work. One day I see an old man come to the counter with plastic baggie full of silver coin. He turns it in and as soon as he leaves the tellers all start splitting it up and buying the silver. I know all of the tellers so I ask the question? Whats the deal? The teller I will call D who has been at the bank for 31 years tells me that for as long as she can remember that man and his wife came in on Fridays and bought rolls of coin approx. $50.00 and on Mondays returned it. So his wife dies and every week for the last few months the fella returns a stash of silver back to the bank and turns it in for face. This goes on for a few months and the guy does not show and the head teller finds his name in the local paper obituary. A couple of weeks go by and the fellas daughter (in her 60's) shows up with death certificate and talks to the tellers as she is doing some banking. She says, "Daddy loved this bank.....you would'nt believe all of the silver coins he got from this bank that we found." Dee tells me, "she wouldnt believe all the silver he returned." So to quicken this up...I speak to Dee who is headed to the LCS to sell some of her "loose silver," She says she's just selling what she did'nt have rolled. Silver was close to $40. at the time. The next day she said she scored $6400.00, I say nice score and she tells me she still has over $10,000.00 face rolled up for her grand kids. I look at her in disbelieve and she tells me the head teller has "much more than I do." So....many months later I come in as usual and the only face I recognize is Dee and the Head Teller who used to be a personal banker. He spills the beans on the tellers and the vault teller who were all in it and.....poof...they can no longer cull the silver and they distributed most tellers who were in the "silver moffia" to other branches in the city. I says.....that sucks but how about hoarding from me now. She says, OK. Now I don't even have to ask...she tells me I owe her a certain amount and I give it to her and she pushes over the silver. So one day she says....Do you have $500.00? you'd like to invest. I laugh and she explains she ordered me a box if I'd like to try my luck. That box gave me one Walker and a 40%. That first box was at the end of Feb. 2013.......and her I am. How did you get hear?

Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I was over at a buddies apartment one day and he had these big bags of dimes nickels and half in the corner. I ask him about them obviously because it seems weird to me. He says he goes through them for silver ones and I'm like yeah ok whatever. Well about a month later I'm over again and ask about them again and he shows me what he's found in the past 8 months (a couple hunsdred silver halfs) so I decided to give it a try. I walk up to the teller at my bank and ask if they have any halves and the dude says no we don't keep them but I can order them...but you'd have to take all $1000 worth of them because that's how they come :) I said that would be fine.

Started ordering a bag a week and my first 3 weeks results were:
4 silvers
12 silvers
29 silvers including a walker :)

Needless to say I was hooked after that

ENTHUSIAST

May 31, 2013
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
Looking for my 1st detector!!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came to Tnet looking for info on buying a metal detector (still saving up) while looking through the forum I found the CRH section. So I go through my bucket of change I had been saving and find a few wheat pennies. I told my Dad about CRHing for halves he goes to a few banks and gets a few rolls he hits a 90 and 3 40s.

I spend a few hundred on half rolls and get completely SKUNKED.

My Dad finds 2 rolls from a random bank after coming empty at the first few banks he tried, the 2 rolls contained all 40s, 3 Franklins and 1 Walker.

I have picked up a few boxes of pennys and hit wheats everytime!

Picked up a partial box of dimes and found 1 Silver Roosie my 1st Silver!!!! :)

Told my Girfriend about CRH and she says "look through my change for me" I do and find her a Silver Roosie.

I have a box of pennies that I am going through for copper and Wheats after I post this... HaHa!

A

Ag_Forager

After lurking on Tnet for a month or two, I finally decided to give CRH a try. I took home $110 in MWR halves from my credit union. I found a 40%. That's all it took for me!

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
the first time i ever Coin roll hunted was when i went to my now dump bank and asked for 100$ in dimes
skunked

i went back later and asked for more but they said that it was for buisness customers only. -_- i searched my piggy bank and found 1 silver dimes :) i was so thrilled but i liked the pennies more because they yielded more keepers (wheats)

so my first year CRH was mostly pennies, although i did go through like 4000$ in boxes with around 30 silver dimes

EDIT: i meant 4000$ in dimes not 400$

Last edited:

Deeseven

Jul 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father as far back as I can remember use to have insane amounts of change. He use to keep $2 bills, different quarters, etc etc. nothing like this just random stuff he'd find through out his day. After he passed I had some wheat pennies, different quarters etc. Earlier this year I found a mis-hit quarter while at the bank and asked if they had anything else like that and well yeah they did ahah. Haven't officially started rolling yet, been doing plenty of research and what not first

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a coin collection when i was a kid. Not alot maybe 3 or 4 Ikes,15 halfs and one or two dollars in wheats and 4 or 5 dimes and quarters.I just wanted to get my coin collection back for my kids.But no matter how much silver I find,
It Isnt Enough!!!!!

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started because I had bought a nickel book at the bookstore, and it seemed like a good idea to go up to the cashier and ask her for a roll so I could fill up some holes. I then figured if I searched more I might find some rare ones. I then bought a box of nickels and found a war nickel and realized I was onto something. It wasn't until later I realized other people were doing this, it just simply made sense to me. I really got hooked when I found the wisconsin state error quarter I had been looking for

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread