Why arnt 40% as popular as 90%

rckymtn

Jan 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im constantly on Ebay and have yet to see a silver auction go to completion for under spot.

Would you like to buy some generic silver rounds from me if I buy from eBay under spot? :-)

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you like to buy some generic silver rounds from me if I buy from eBay under spot? :-)

ROCKY MOUNTAIN

You are not going to find 1 oz rounds for sale for 99 cents. The listings you posted were not true completed ebay listings. They are auctions that have been pulled.

NOTHING IS FREE

all meant with love

Last edited:

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

define "generic silver rounds"

There is alot of crap out there, hence the reason why some stuff may go for under spot. I agree that 40% are easily recognizeable, but there are a ton of generic rounds that are too. If I had $500 and had the choice of buying (equal amounts of silver) silver buffalos or 40% I would choose the buffalos every single time. 40% can be a tough sell, last time I had to move a large amount they went melt -10% on CL. Even then it took awhile and most of my silver buyers had no interest.

Now if I was deciding between 40% and some generic round that I had never heard of I'd probably go the safer route.

I think alot of times 40% sells when people can't get their hands on 90% or .999 or the premiums are too high; I can't imagine why someone would prefer it.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Check out the prices that the first product you listed have gone for in the past 2 weeks when silver was in the low -mid 20's:
$46.00, $36.45, $35.64, $43.00, $44.00, $37.00, $35.77, $38.56, $35.77, $37.17, $51.01
all for a 1 ounce generic round
Those are all MUCH higher than spot
eBay Feedback Profile for lolodrew111

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 4720 40% And wanted to sell them and get a monster box. Well silver went down so I got the monster box now and I might sell them when I can get $5 each for them. I did buy a few here and there.I find about 1000 every 3 to 4 months. I will not sell the 90% unless I can get big money for them.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow- Generic rounds selling for 45 with 11 bids....WTHeck?

Last edited:

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll make another argument for 40% halves based off a long term investment. Here's the basis; 40% halves are currently considered inferior to 90% and .999. I believe 40% can consistently be found cheaper than 90% and premium .999 rounds and bars. I'm not going to quote any prices found on feebay because you can find a few sold listings to support just about any perspective. 40% halves consist of 60% copper. The current value of that copper per coin is just under 5 cents per coin. That's right at 1/5th the face value. Not only is the copper value not included in the 40%ers value, but it is considered a negative because of the increased cost to smelt. (I highly doubt it cost an extra 5 cents per coin, but I'm not a smelter) As copper prices increase, I envision a day when people no longer look at the 60% copper as a negative but recognize the added value of the copper. When that day comes, 40%ers will sell at a premium to their silver value rather than a discount.

Most every person you talk to or read about on the various silver forums value 90% over 40%. 40% sell at a small discount but it's usually not enough to intice most of us. So who is it that buys all these 40%ers? We know it's not the average joe stacker. Maybe people or businesses with deeper pockets have already came to the same conclusion.

mr.landpirate

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll make another argument for 40% halves based off a long term investment. Here's the basis; 40% halves are currently considered inferior to 90% and .999. I believe 40% can consistently be found cheaper than 90% and premium .999 rounds and bars. I'm not going to quote any prices found on feebay because you can find a few sold listings to support just about any perspective. 40% halves consist of 60% copper. The current value of that copper per coin is just under 5 cents per coin. That's right at 1/5th the face value. Not only is the copper value not included in the 40%ers value, but it is considered a negative because of the increased cost to smelt. (I highly doubt it cost an extra 5 cents per coin, but I'm not a smelter) As copper prices increase, I envision a day when people no longer look at the 60% copper as a negative but recognize the added value of the copper. When that day comes, 40%ers will sell at a premium to their silver value rather than a discount.

Most every person you talk to or read about on the various silver forums value 90% over 40%. 40% sell at a small discount but it's usually not enough to intice most of us. So who is it that buys all these 40%ers? We know it's not the average joe stacker. Maybe people or businesses with deeper pockets have already came to the same conclusion.

I think you just let the cat out of the bag, i buy 40's for the reason you just stated. There a bargain.:skullflag:

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you just let the cat out of the bag, i buy 40's for the reason you just stated. There a bargain.:skullflag:

I can appreciate tat POV for certain.

That's why I'm workin on my 5 gal bucket of pre 82 cents!

Also, another reason I wanted to sell my current 40% collection - I am always stacking more of them at Face value - about 1-10 a week on average.

Also, I just wanted to get my hands on some different bullion specimins and examples. Just get my mitts on more coins, and silver and gold pieces. Just to familiarize myself with them the best I can. Furthermore - a 45$ silver price would prompt to unload a bunch of my rounds as well.

I can go back and forth on what is best, and every coin has two sides.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread