How many of you have actually CRHed (small) dollar coins????

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
How many of you have actually CRH'ed (small) dollar coins????

Might as well get this subsection rolling, with an honest question. "How many of you have actually ordered/looked through/dumped dollar coins?"

I will be the first to answer this question and say I have on a few occasions. The first was accidental, and small dollars came in instead of ikes. went through them found a few SBA's. The main reason I look through dollar coins is to find 1979-wide rims, 1999, or 1981 SBAs, which are worth at the very least to collectors $2. I've since ordered twice after that, and I've found a total of 4 1979 wide-rims, which I'm pretty proud of. you find some interesting things, like Canadian dollar coins.

Upvote 0

TheNotoriousA.G.

Apr 29, 2013
Detector(s) used
Hands & Ears
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been ordered about 10 boxes of dollar coins when I actually asked for halves. To play nice I picked them up, but immediately dumped them in a coin machine for cash. Getting shorted $1 for any miscounts sucks.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One time when I was just starting out I bought $300 in gold dollars in CWRs and got shorted $2. Never bought any again. There are some valuable errors such as the text on the side being missing on a year that is supposed to have it, but I don't think it's worth the time to look.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get them every once in a while when my source can only find 1000 in ikes and have to complete a 2k order. I have 3 wide rims on my bar and a 1999 not sure what to do with them they are just sitting there, Thinking of tossing them back into a bag or coke machine sometime since i have yet to ebay or sell a coin and don't really plan on doing it because it seems like a hassle.

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EBay is really easy. Providing you have a PayPal set up. I recommend giving it a go

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gotten them a few times trying to fill holes in my dansco albums. They are fun and entertaining to spend.

OP
OP
50cent

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I've gotten them a few times trying to fill holes in my dansco albums. They are fun and entertaining to spend.

for sure mr.clad, pretty convenient to, not having to open your wallet, and make sure you are pulling out the right bills. I spent $20 on gasoline with $1 coins one time, people had their mouths open , like I just paid with gold.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy them sometimes to be nice, tellers love it. If I ask a teller for anything strange and comes out with halves ikes and 'gold' dollars than I just take them all. I am not too keen on finding the errors so I just look for any random mixed in coins. never found anything yet. who knows, there may be some older coins of a similar diameter that you can't find in other denominations. Does anyone know some examples offhand?

hotrod

Bronze Member
May 12, 2012
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get a roll or two every week. I don't really find anything, except for today bought 1 roll and got: 10 presidential proof dollars and 1 extra dollar so 26 coins instead of 25 !!

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
One time when I was just starting out I bought $300 in gold dollars in CWRs and got shorted $2. Never bought any again. There are some valuable errors such as the text on the side being missing on a year that is supposed to have it, but I don't think it's worth the time to look.

Hi Thripp and All, "but I don't think it's worth the time to look." This is why we call it a 'hobby'. It makes the good Finds all the more special.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were 5,500 Cheerios dollars made, while the 1992 CAM had a much smaller mintage I think (correct me if I'm wrong).

I would bet that there were a lot more 92 CAMS minted than Cheerios dollars. Finding either in circulation is a huge challenge, but for different reasons. The CAMs are so tough because they are not only very rare, almost all have gone into circulation and they are mixed in randomly with billions upon billions of cents. There are more Cheerios dollars available because they we put in cereal boxes and many saved by those who found them at the breakfast table. There are so few of them in circulation, that finding one would be next to impossible.

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I would bet that there were a lot more 92 CAMS minted than Cheerios dollars. Finding either in circulation is a huge challenge, but for different reasons. The CAMs are so tough because they are not only very rare, almost all have gone into circulation and they are mixed in randomly with billions upon billions of cents. There are more Cheerios dollars available because they we put in cereal boxes and many saved by those who found them at the breakfast table. There are so few of them in circulation, that finding one would be next to impossible.

Yeah, but you also have to consider all of the cheerios dollars people kept, but I still think you are right. There have been around 40
92 P and D CAMs found and graded.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions