ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, considering melt is ~$150 as I type, and physical silver is currently selling well above melt price, if you were looking to buy silver right now you did better than most folks could do. Whether or not it turns out to be a good deal for you will depend on how much you get for them when you sell.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought 26 40% and 7 1964's from a teller who knew what she had. Paid 107. What do you think? I'm afraid that's what they will be worth in another month. Still seems to be a premium on top of melt for US silver. HH

Did you buy these while you were at the bank? That would be a serious NO NO for the teller- I wouldn't want to get someone in trouble but if she was on the clock selling silver for more than face that is definitely a fireable offense in my books-
if you did it outside the bank then that's an ok deal

OP
OP
toorude89

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you buy these while you were at the bank? That would be a serious NO NO for the teller- I wouldn't want to get someone in trouble but if she was on the clock selling silver for more than face that is definitely a fireable offense in my books-

Someone cashed them in and she bought them a few weeks ago. They were already hers not the banks so I think its fine. Plus I don't want to rock any boats. HH!

Last edited:

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
That's fine if she already bought them. It's between the employee and the boss if she decides to do personal business on the clock. Only time it would be an issue for the bank is if she was selling the coins for more than face from her tray.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was at the bank in the bank. Someone cashed them in and she bought them a few weeks ago. They were already hers not the banks so I think its fine. Plus I donjt want to rock any boats. HH!

Nope. That is still not ok. She has to go outside the building for private transactions. Otherwise, she would not be able to prove it is her money to begin with. She better hope no one reviews the cameras, or you may be having to train a new teller.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope. That is still not ok. She has to go outside the building for private transactions. Otherwise, she would not be able to prove it is her money to begin with. She better hope no one reviews the cameras, or you may be having to train a new teller.

Exactly- i would bet according to company policy any personal biz must be done off the clock- and like Wilmington said if someone reviewed tape and saw her selling you coins for more than face she would have a lot of explaining to do- next time to show your interest in her job and your relationship with the bank advise her you'll buy them when she gets off or is on break-

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems that you did ok but the teller could really have made a bad deal.

Unless this is so dinky local bank were they are really comfortable with their employees they have had working the counters for years, I am certain this would be grounds for termination.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin_collection.gif
Stop looking back - if you were happy with the buy - that is all that counts toorude89!

OP
OP
toorude89

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pic

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130501_175756.png
    ForumRunner_20130501_175756.png
    153.5 KB · Views: 123

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL did you put them in that bag or did the teller?

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even a rinky dink bank i would still show interest and do it after she is off the clock, if she insists that she doesn't have time then well you tried. Pretty sure it is a Federal Offense for a bank to sell coins at profit.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey that looks like the CR bag that I use sometimes, so I'm not the only one...:laughing7:
I've bought silver at much higher than face value from tellers on the clock behind the counter with the manager there.
It was the teller's collection, no prob.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

While some banks follow their policies closely, I suspect that when you are talking about long term, reliable employees who get the job done without issue, it probably isn't a big deal.

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even a rinky dink bank i would still show interest and do it after she is off the clock, if she insists that she doesn't have time then well you tried. Pretty sure it is a Federal Offense for a bank to sell coins at profit.

The bank didn't sell the coins...it was the teller.

As an employee at a financial institution I have done personal transactions with members on several occasions...always in my office though and not on the teller line. If there is a law somewhere please share the specifics with us and maybe we can make everyone aware of how they can avoid breaking a law?:icon_thumright:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty sure it is a Federal Offense for a bank to sell coins at profit.

Yes it is, if they belong to the bank. However, once the teller buys the halves for face from her drawer, they are hers and she is free to sell them for profit somewhere else.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have paid spot for silver a few times in the bank I think you got a good deal. What will they go for in a year or two?? that's what you have to look at.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread