Huge opportunity for halves or huge skunkfest on the horizon: advice welcome

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dump bank is one of the very few banks with a coin counting machine in a 50 mile radius. The last time I dumped some halves, I asked for $500 in dimes. I have done this about three times now with no problems. This time, the vault manager says...don't you think you have gone through them all by now? I was confused by the comment and just replied with my usual ...looking for error coins...san francisco mints...old coins...and what not...avoiding the silver word. Then she shocked me by saying that "this bank rolls their own coins from two locations (two counting machines)". I didn't know about the other machine so that was good news. So, technically, I could be dumping dimes and then going through them again the next week. This was disappointing but no problem...I just need to stop picking up their dimes.

Okay...so here is the opportunity or skunkfest: They don't appear to use a courier service for coins. They have a ton of halves in the back (including a couple 1000 that I have dumped over the past couple of weeks) and they are willing to sell me a bag of whatever size I want. Today I got a $250 bag not knowing whether this was a bad idea or good one. There was no silver but 4 NIFC 2007's (that I definitely did not dump).

Here are the two options I am considering:
1) Stop dumping half dollars at this bank and instead start picking up bags as often as I can turn around and dump them somewhere else. By doing this, I might hit a collection of someone and eventually purge them of my dumps and increase the odds of hitting a collection or two.
2) Just go back to using this as my dump bank and hope they don't cut me off after their back room fill's up with 1971 kennedy's.

I plan on continuing to dump dimes and nickels here, because I just don't think people are depositing silver dimes and war nickels in large enough quantities to pick up anymore dimes from this bank since it is a fairly closed system of coins. They might even appreciate having dimes and nickels from external sources.

An obvious problem is that I would be giving up two counting machines for halves and not another one for 50 to 75 miles. What would you do?:icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Zero

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to conclude this thread:

They decided to change my account to a business account with a monthly fee for processing coins. They claimed their coin counting machines were not designed for the volume I was putting through ($2000 a week in halves and $500 in dimes) and I would have to have them processed in the back with their more serious machine. So, I closed my account and walked away. It just wasn't meant to be.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But the older ones are in paper

Top Member Reactions