Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
I got offered this roll of cents from a bank today after asking for halves. She showed me some wheats from it and said she had $8 of rolls like this but sold them for change.

She also bought a bag of silver quarters the same person cashed in, she had them at home already. I made an offer to buy those. She might save them for her kids.

Any, the cents was all copper, gave up 9 wheats, and my oldest coin found - an 1863 Ft Dix Civil War token!

ForumRunner_20130502_202405.png

ForumRunner_20130502_202021.png

ForumRunner_20130502_201936.png

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130502_201958.png
    ForumRunner_20130502_201958.png
    105.3 KB · Views: 191
Upvote 0

mtholen

Aug 17, 2012
Greenvile, SC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 501
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a roll of pennies? That's amazing, just think of all the places that's been before you found it

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand where you guys are finding tellers that SELL you coins from the bank for profit. The tellers that have saved me coins sell it for face value, they aren't trying to turn it for profit. STILL pretty sure this is illegal to sell coins at a bank for profit, and this is from talking with tellers and cash vault managers, also just too lazy to look up the law and take them at their word that it is Federally against the law for a bank to sell currency for profit (on bank premises or as a representative of a bank).

OP
OP
Mr. Silver Stash

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
I said sold for change, I should have said gave out as change. I bought this roll for $0.50. And tried to buy her silver at home. I've never had a teller sell for more than FV in the bank.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah very cool. Either way still a very cool find in a roll of pennies =) Very old coin for sure. GL on buying the silver from her, odds are she isn't very in tune with the value of it, probably easily get a good deal on snatching it up.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I don't understand where you guys are finding tellers that SELL you coins from the bank for profit. The tellers that have saved me coins sell it for face value, they aren't trying to turn it for profit. STILL pretty sure this is illegal to sell coins at a bank for profit, and this is from talking with tellers and cash vault managers, also just too lazy to look up the law and take them at their word that it is Federally against the law for a bank to sell currency for profit (on bank premises or as a representative of a bank).

What specifically do you believe to be illegal? It doesn't look like the teller offered to sell the bank's money for a profit. I can assure you it is certainly NOT against the law for a teller to sell you their own coins that they bought previously from the bank (or elsewhere) at face value. This action, on the other hand, is almost always against bank policy - at least if it occurs on bank property and on the clock.

For the teller to exchange cash for silver coins in their own drawer may or may not be against bank policy; it definitely is not illegal.

OP
OP
Mr. Silver Stash

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah very cool. Either way still a very cool find in a roll of pennies =) Very old coin for sure. GL on buying the silver from her, odds are she isn't very in tune with the value of it, probably easily get a good deal on snatching it up.

I offered her 15x face. It's probably got standing liberties in it by the dates of the cents.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, a civil war token that's one of the better cent finds I've seen on here. That is no small find!!!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome find! Whenever I get real old "fuzzy" paper cwrs they seem to contain nothing but rotted zincolns haha
Thanks for sharing.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you guys think I should have it graded? This may be a great opportunity to have my first coin graded.

YES - Well, the one link showed an NCG XF 40 for $150.00 - SOLD - 5/26/2013

I would spot check ebay, and just confirm that people are buying them for ~100 dollars.

That would definitely make it a grade able coin. I have an NGC membership, and have yet to get anything graded. Grade that SOB!

Just checked teh Bay -
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...sct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=3&_dmd=1&_ipg=25

Selling for ~50 bucks in average grade.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay shows them selling for 35-75 dollars - didn't see a completed listing above 100

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other

I have one I am talking to trying to work out a time to look at her culled collection to purchase it off of her. Those coins that may be too expensive for me I will lead her to the right person so she gets the max from them she can. I want to keep her and the other tellers on my good side ( they are already ) as its a weekly dump bank.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread