My box recycling set-up

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
As I noted in another thread, I got sick of throwing away boxes. While we do have a recycling service that picks up at our curb once every two weeks, I surely didn't want to advertise that I look at thousands of dollars of halves. On the other hand, how best to bundle the boxes to take elsewhere? After a little brainstorming, I came up with the following solution:

Went to the hardware store, and bought some 1.5" x 10" boards, 8 angle brackets, some wood screws, and some twine. Cut the boards to about 3 foot lengths, land screwed them together to form a box:

DSC05090.JPG DSC05091.JPG

After experimentation, I found that using 3 strings works the best. I lay one down lengthwise down the middle, and two sidewise as shown. Then I add some rather large non-coin boxes as an end piece, stepping on them to flatten them down:

DSC05094.JPG

Then add coin boxes as I get them in, stepping on them and flattening them down each time.

DSC05093.JPG

When the stack of boxes gets close to the top of the frame, I put some more non-coin boxes on the top, and tie them up.
I found out the hard way that you need to use string rather than twine... :-[

DSC05095.JPG DSC05096.JPG

You got to tie them really tight. Then, remove the bundle of boxes from the frame. Sometimes, the boxes are wedged in so tight you have to turn the frame on it's side and almost kick the boxes out.

DSC05097.JPG DSC05098.JPG

The end result looks like this:

DSC05099.JPG

It's not 100% foolproof, as you'll probably be able to make out a bit of coin box info, but it's at least easy to transport now.

DSC05088.JPG

A quick trip to the local recycling drop off, and you're done! For me at least, it feels great to go from this:

DSC05092.JPG to this: DSC05089.JPG

Enjoy!

FT

Upvote 0

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
might put a pizza box on the bottom and have it fold over the side so it wont show the side. Good Idea!!

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just go to neighborhoods or a business that have the big dumpster recycling containers(make sure its not illegal at that certain spot). Then I just throw them in there, and throw a few boxes overtop to cover it. simple

HH!

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I like to put bricks in them, especially the Brinks boxes and set them at the side of a road or highway in the middle of the night. Books fit nicely in the Loomis/Garda boxes. Someone else's problem at that point.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just recycle them it works for me. One time they asked me about it I just said I look at coins!!

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome idea.. I love this and will surely try building one soon enough.. This will keep my woman happy since it will allow me to be better organized.. Thanks for the tip

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to put bricks in them, especially the Brinks boxes and set them at the side of a road or highway in the middle of the night. Books fit nicely in the Loomis/Garda boxes. Someone else's problem at that point.
The site of a box on the side of the road, would require me to stop and have look.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread