Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FOUND SOMEONE'S COLLECTION!!

......of 1964 nickels. :BangHead:

I was out doing some CRH scouting (I get a little bit of this and that from a bank then see the coin service they use, how nice the tellers are, etc.) Asked for $20 in nickels and just threw them in my little box I take in with me without looking at the rolls. Got out to the car and saw that all the wrappers were marked "1964". I checked 2 of the rolls just to be sure the wrappers weren't re-used and such. Turns out they were solid rolls of 1964's. Went back into the bank and asked the teller if they had rolls with other dates on them and they had about $200 worth of rolls marked "1964". Looks like I've found my dump bank, and someone else's as well.

I have a picture to attach but T'Net seems to be acting up here at work. :icon_scratch:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are 1964 Nickles worth? I wasn't aware of any premium.

$.05

There is no premium on them. Actually '64 nickels are the highest minted nickel. The worst part about them is they tend to have "the look". Nickel searchers will know what "the look" is and why '64 nickels are so frustrating.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
$.05

There is no premium on them. Actually '64 nickels are the highest minted nickel. The worst part about them is they tend to have "the look". Nickel searchers will know what "the look" is and why '64 nickels are so frustrating.

I know exactly what you mean about "the look". It's completely frustrating.

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
The look hahaha. I am going to start calling it that now. lol

OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it wasn't a total losing effort. I did manage to find a 1954-D and a 1959-D nickel. Not bad for not expecting to find any pre-1960's.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$.05

Yes, 64s have that old nickel look to them, but to me, "the look" is the steel grey silver war nickel color! You know - the ones that have the perfect toning that you can tell from the edge that it's a war nickel!

Dodeskaden

Dec 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a fantasy: Every single person in the U.S. agrees to take every 1964 nickel they come across and promises to never spend it. Ever. The details would need some finessing but if, one day, 1964 nickels no longer plagued the earth...that would be a great thing.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a full-step '64 and you will be singing another song about them being worth only $0.05 each...

EDIT: If those are all uncirculated, I will pay a premium for them. Message me.

BigMoses777

Apr 4, 2013
Well it wasn't a total losing effort. I did manage to find a 1954-D and a 1959-D nickel. Not bad for not expecting to find any pre-1960's.

Do you save all pre-1960? Just curious if you do and why. My last 2 boxes have been old nickels. I have a box right now ready to dump and I get rid of any 50's that I already have one of (unless they have value like the 50 D or something).

Dodeskaden

Dec 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even proof '64 nickels strike me as meh. Just plain tired of seeing that date. It feels like they made 90 billion of them just to annoy the strange dudes who actually look at their pocket change for the next century or so.

OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you save all pre-1960? Just curious if you do and why. My last 2 boxes have been old nickels. I have a box right now ready to dump and I get rid of any 50's that I already have one of (unless they have value like the 50 D or something).

It seems like around 1960 was when they started upping the mintage numbers for nickels. I've kept track of all my nickel finds since 2007 and anything pre-1960 only accounts for 1.66% of the nickels I've searched.

jmb2email

Apr 14, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO 12" coil, DD 10" coil, 5.3 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny thing happened to me today too... found lots of 64's. Big deal was I got upste when opening one of the $20 worth rolls, had a stinking battery in it as a nickel! "dang! someone shorted me 5 cents" crossed my mind. Then I realized the nickel beside it was a decent looking '39! Made my day after searching $160 in quarters, $180 in halves, $40 in dimes, and almost all $20 in nickels with zero hits.

Maybe i can get $3 to $5 for this one due to it's shape.

JMB

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Funny thing happened to me today too... found lots of 64's. Big deal was I got upste when opening one of the $20 worth rolls, had a stinking battery in it as a nickel! "dang! someone shorted me 5 cents" crossed my mind. Then I realized the nickel beside it was a decent looking '39! Made my day after searching $160 in quarters, $180 in halves, $40 in dimes, and almost all $20 in nickels with zero hits.

Maybe i can get $3 to $5 for this one due to it's shape.

JMB

I've also gotten a battery out of a roll. People are nuts.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, 64s have that old nickel look to them, but to me, "the look" is the steel grey silver war nickel color! You know - the ones that have the perfect toning that you can tell from the edge that it's a war nickel!

It is even more annoying for the Ds, since the mintmark is on the back so you know there is a good chance it is a pre-1960.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread