Do we affect the economy?

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious about what others think. Could someone accurately accuse me of hurting the local economy? Would the economy be stimulated if we turned all the coins loose that we have hoarded over the years? Do we hurt the local economy when we stack cash away in closets and basements? Maybe the amounts are too small to be of any significance. We probably provide jobs for some people, like paper manufacturers who make paper coin rolls, plastic makers of coin lock bags and bank tellers. Are there any economics majors out there who can ease my mind on this?

Upvote 0

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
Just curious about what others think. Could someone accurately accuse me of hurting the local economy? Would the economy be stimulated if we turned all the coins loose that we have hoarded over the years? Do we hurt the local economy when we stack cash away in closets and basements? Maybe the amounts are too small to be of any significance. We probably provide jobs for some people, like paper manufacturers who make paper coin rolls, plastic makers of coin lock bags and bank tellers. Are there any economics majors out there who can ease my mind on this?

No we're helping. The more we break coin machines the more people we put to work. The more coins we take out the more they have to make and ship. We allow tellas to keep their jobs by constantly hounding them. The only people we're hurting and the fat CEOs who see their profits drop by .00001%

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the CRH's could on their own, But makes me think, What would happen if eveyone
in the US turned in all their saved coins in a one week period.
especially if everyone insisted on Cash

they already have storage spaces filled to the max with all the unwanted
Sac's, presidential dollars etc. :laughing7:

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
We cost the banks money. There are lots of hours worked servicing crh. They will make these losses back somewhere - the customers. The coin carriers make out. We also spend money on gas, coin supplies etc. Our activity is probably economically neutral or even stimulating jobs.

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We probably have approximately the same rather insignificant impact as someone else working a minimum to low wage job. I do believe however, we are a bit more noble in the way we go about our form of capitalism. I see us like numerous Robin Hoods stealing from the overly-wealthy federal government and banks and then adding those earnings to our poor little stashes. :-)

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the CRH's could on their own, But makes me think, What would happen if eveyone
in the US turned in all their saved coins in a one week period.
especially if everyone insisted on Cash

they already have storage spaces filled to the max with all the unwanted
Sac's, presidential dollars etc. :laughing7:

This is what happened in late 2008-early 2009 that is why 2009 coins had such low mintages

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Exactly we are subsidizing industries like Brinks Security, Loomis Cooperate services, Dunbar Exchanges, Garda, ect. We are keeping Strings and Sons in business. Otherwise neglected country roads are kept in good condition. There are more police men out in the bank. We can fully 100 per cent, accredit some of the financial recovery thanks to coin roll hunting efforts. as my dawg em just said, we are keeping the coin counting machine repair men in business. these are good paying jobs. Sure we might impact the banks slightly negatively, but they impact their employee's negatively as well. compare the salary of that of a teller and a coin machine service-man. We are helping an industry. We are positively impacting the economy each and every single time we spend a half dollar; that is to say that half dollar would have otherwise sat in a shoe box or a bank vault. When existing currencies (and past currencies), are circulated back into the market place, it absolutely has a positively stimulating effect. Not to mention we are helping automobile mechanics, road workers, and the value of the USD in general, as SIDE EFFECTS, of our DIRECT EFFECTS on the economy of the great USA

Kennedy half dollar mintage figures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Litteraly hundreds of millions of dollars, that would have went to nothing is being used 'gain. Add the figures, do the maths, look at increased half dollar usage and show me how we can be insignificant.

mr.landpirate

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The gov. Spends over 5 trillion a year. It take you 2739 years at a million a day to spend 1 trillion. I don't think we hurt or help much but we do keep each other employed and if where smart about it we have fun and make a our hobby less costly. LP

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Exactly we are subsidizing industries like Brinks Security, Loomis Cooperate services, Dunbar Exchanges, Garda, ect. We are keeping Strings and Sons in business.

The problem is that Loomis and Garda are not American. Loomis is Swedish, Garda is Québécois.

Last edited:

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Lol I remember one of my bank managers said the guy from brinks that delivers my two boxes of cents was starting to complain because he had to bring in boxes of coins so he might have to cut me off, and I told him "well it's the guys job and he should be glad he has it."

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread