New penny roll hunters, after some amazing beginners luck

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New penny roll hunters, after some amazing beginners' luck

Back in March, I picked up 32 rolls of pennies from a couple different branches of my local bank, to use as weights for my son's balsa wood bridge for his school science fair. (I've since learned that loose rolls at this particular bank are rolled & resold at each branch from what customers turn in). When the science fair was finally over, we cracked open the rolls to see what was in them. We found something I had never seen in loose change in my entire life - an Indian Head penny (1897). A few rolls later, we found another. And then another. About a half-dozen or so wheat cents too, including a 1909 VDB. It didn't take long to figure out that someone must have dumped a collection - either a jar of old pennies, or more likely they emptied out some books (the Indian Heads were in sequence, 1897, 1898 and 1899, and we didn't get any duplicates of the old stuff).

Needless to say, we got hooked by this incredible beginners luck. I started researching, and started buying a box each weekend to go through. We haven't found anything nearly as exciting as that first haul, and probably never will again. But out of 5 boxes or so we've picked up maybe 50-60 wheat cents, a load of Canadians including 2 1943's and 2 1945's, a couple Bahamas cents and a few other random interesting things. My other son started in on dimes, and we've pulled 3 silver (1963, 1952, 1953) out of $325 worth of dime rolls. Now my 3rd son wants to start on nickels :)

Just thought I'd share our story - coin roll hunting has been a great new father/son weekend hobby for us. And one my wife is completely supportive of (as long as we clean up the dining room table by Monday morning).

Upvote 0

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Welcome aboard James. Great score on the cent rolls. I've done 100's of boxes of cents, and have found only two IH. Hope you and your sons keep going on this for years to come; you're making some great memories.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin_collection.gif
Outstanding jamesandsons!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread