Searched my First Two Boxes of Dimes (Success and Failure!)

KyleK

Greenie
May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Purchased my first two boxes of dimes ($500 face value) - and ended up finding (2) 1940 Mercury's, (1) 1963 Roosevelt and (1) 1964 Roosevelt.

Couldn't complain at all with that kind of a find :)

The bad part, was when I went to dump the remainder of the dimes. I decided to split the dump - $270 worth at my credit union - and another $230 at TD.

When dumping the $270.00 at my credit union - I ended up with $247.62 (as it apparently had counted many, many dimes as pennies!)

Has anyone had a similar experience with this problem?

I suppose I'll have to go back to using TD Bank's machines exclusively :/

Upvote 0

rpg25

Dec 9, 2012
Earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time say something to the tellers. I say listen "I know I put x amount in there and it's giving a bad count. Is there anyway I can be credited the the dimes that were counted as pennies?"
When my TD machine goes on the fritz I'm just firm with them. Once at a TD I threatened to call the department of weights and measures to complain but they relented after an associate came forward and said all I buy is dimes and that I was most likely being honest when I said I had no pennies. Just be firm. The fact that you are a CRHer should not be at play. What if it was grandma who was getting screwed on her count? Or little Jimmy with his coin jar?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin_collection.gif
Sorry about the "cash in" problem but on the good side - you had some nice finds KyleK!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a minor shortage, you know it is bad when you do a $250 dime dump and get shorted $206.70 with dimes counted as pennies...

OP
OP
K

KyleK

Greenie
May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am happy to say that it wasn't TD Bank where I had the counting problem, but rather was my local credit union. They were more than happy to open the coin counting machine when the dime bag became full.

Unfortunately when it came to the bad count, they were unwilling to open the machine as they said it was against their policy. I explained to them that there are problems at times with dimes being counted as pennies in machines such as the medium duty one they use, but they remained firm on their policy .

So I decided to ask for the manager's information, though I'm not sure if it would get me anywhere to contact him...

I contacted their customer service department last night and they confirmed that they have no fee concerning rolls of coins being deposited, and have no limit to this, so that's an upside! :)

OP
OP
K

KyleK

Greenie
May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuffaloBoy, where did that happen at for you?

OP
OP
K

KyleK

Greenie
May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after all this occurred, I decided to ask them if they had any half dollars. They told me that they had $13 face value worth of halves and would gladly sell them to me. Unfortunately, they were all Clad, but it was worth a shot. :/

On to the next adventure!

rpg25

Dec 9, 2012
Earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am happy to say that it wasn't TD Bank where I had the counting problem, but rather was my local credit union. They were more than happy to open the coin counting machine when the dime bag became full.

Unfortunately when it came to the bad count, they were unwilling to open the machine as they said it was against their policy. I explained to them that there are problems at times with dimes being counted as pennies in machines such as the medium duty one they use, but they remained firm on their policy .

That's a bunch of BS and I really hope that you don't fall for it next time. They can open for a bag change but not because their is a discrepancy? What a lie. All they would have had to do was open the machine and see all the dimes mixed into the penny bag. Sometimes it's like they are intentionally trying to screw you. Seriously, they can open for a simple bag change but when there is a little more work involved and them losing money that isn't their's anyway, there is a problem? Next time complain to the manager and if that doesn't work, his supervisors at the front office of the credit union. You are a member. They owe it to you. It was your money and you are giving them business by choosing to bank with them. Don't stand for that sh*t next time. And btw, definitely something I'd mention to your weights and measures. A wrong count AND refusing to at least try and investigate the discrepancy? Explain like you explained here and the Credit union might sing a different tune.

OP
OP
K

KyleK

Greenie
May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you completely I think it's a great idea I'll try and look some information up and see what I can do about that.* As for the dimes being on top of the pennies that's precisely what I explained to the person handling the machine, but to no avail....

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always "test" your coin counter with a known small amount the first time you use it - especially if dumping dimes. Even machines that you have used before that worked near perfectly can get dirty/out of calibration. Dimes getting counted as pennies is pretty common. Re-rolling will be far more accurate, but more time consuming.

As far as what you can do about miscounts, you are at the banks' mercy on this. Even if the penny bag is full of dimes, you really cannot prove that any of them are yours. You may or may not be able to talk them into crediting your account. You essentially take a risk every time that you use a coin counter.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always "test" your coin counter with a known small amount the first time you use it - especially if dumping dimes. Even machines that you have used before that worked near perfectly can get dirty/out of calibration. Dimes getting counted as pennies is pretty common. Re-rolling will be far more accurate, but more time consuming.

As far as what you can do about miscounts, you are at the banks' mercy on this. Even if the penny bag is full of dimes, you really cannot prove that any of them are yours. You may or may not be able to talk them into crediting your account. You essentially take a risk every time that you use a coin counter.

You can always count on a fisherman for good advice. I hope to get out after work today!

And to the original poster here, trying taking it up with HQ see if they will do anything for you

drewbaccas

Mar 8, 2013
I too have had bad counts with dimes. I have been pulling ugly beat up dimes and bent dimes from my rolls. I spend them in vending machines rather then sending them through the coin counter. My counts have been more accurate with a dime being counted as a cent rarely.

Drewbaccas

OP
OP
K

KyleK

Greenie
May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great advice everyone. From now on I will simply roll everything back up, and then deposit it at that wonderful credit union :)

OP
OP
K

KyleK

Greenie
May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is what I found in the 2 boxes of dimes (with the exception of the Roosevelt in the bottom right corner).

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130515_174508.png
    ForumRunner_20130515_174508.png
    137.9 KB · Views: 91

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread