Dumping at Same Bank... But Different Branch?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
When I was in college, there were four serving lines at the cafeteria and only one kitchen. It didn't matter what line you got served from as the food all came from the same kitchen.

Same thing with your bank. Now ask yourself, why would you want to dump where you eat?

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's ok I do that all the time. The other bank will find out sometime for me its ok with them!!

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new here and there's still a lot I don't know, but I feel like this is ultimately a question of volume. If you are draining branch A of coin supply and dumping so much at branch B that they have more than they know what to do with, obviously those coins are likely to quickly find their way back to branch A and contaminate your source. But if you are doing small batches relative to what these branches likely cycle through in a given time period, I would think it would be just fine.

Unless you are doing halves I suppose, where there is much less demand. Like I said, there's a lot I don't understand yet about how all this works.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Typically all branches of a bank in a particular city will use the same armored car service. If you are ordering any volume at all then you will most likely get your dumps back at some time. If you are only trying to pick up CWR then you are probably OK. Some folks look for a dump bank that uses a different armored car service than their pick up bank

silas1128

Feb 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know at TD there is no like cross branch coin swapping.. When they get enough coins they send them back to loomis.

OP
OP
D

denomi

Apr 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I'll try to get in touch with someone from US Bank since I got mixed responses. I know the bank I would be picking them up from is ordering them specifically for me... just don't know if the armored car will stop buy the other bank and haul my already searched coins over.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was in college, there were four serving lines at the cafeteria and only one kitchen. It didn't matter what line you got served from as the food all came from the same kitchen.

Same thing with your bank. Now ask yourself, why would you want to dump where you eat?

This is not necessarily true. There are two BofA branches in my area that are about 2 miles apart. One branch uses Loomis while the other uses Garda. So I would just ask each branch what service they use and make sure you don't pick up from the service you dump at.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its ok I do it all the time as well and still get plenty of keepers. Theres millions of halves pouring through circulation. Just don't pickup / dump at the same branch as you stated.

Kaekue

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a lot of people here say that Brink's/Loomis/Garda pick the coins up from the banks --> reroll them --> deliver to the banks that order. However, I have talked to 3 banks in my area about the process and all 3 banks have said that the coins go straight to the FED and when they order the coins they come from the FED. They say that Garda just delivers the coins between the banks and FED. I did not believe this was true, but on all of the coin bags they have the FED for the location to be delivered. I spoke to a few branch managers about this and they all said this was true that they go to and come from the FED.

If this was the case then it would not matter if you dump and pick up from the same bank because the coins are going to and coming from the same location anyway. This may only be true for my area but I have confirmed it with more than 1 bank manager.

The only way to keep from getting your coins back would be to take them to a different region to dump..

Last edited:

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your doing halves it would be best to not use the same armoured Currier. If your searching a lot of volune I'd say the same thing. But small timers like me dumping and picking up from the same company is hardly noticeable

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a lot of people here say that Brink's/Loomis/Garda pick the coins up from the banks --> reroll them --> deliver to the banks that order. However, I have talked to 3 banks in my area about the process and all 3 banks have said that the coins go straight to the FED and when they order the coins they come from the FED. They say that Garda just delivers the coins between the banks and FED. I did not believe this was true, but on all of the coin bags they have the FED for the location to be delivered. I spoke to a few branch managers about this and they all said this was true that they go to and come from the FED.

If this was the case then it would not matter if you dump and pick up from the same bank because the coins are going to and coming from the same location anyway. This may only be true for my area but I have confirmed it with more than 1 bank manager.

The only way to keep from getting your coins back would be to take them to a different region to dump..

Wrong.

If your doing halves it would be best to not use the same armoured Currier. If your searching a lot of volune I'd say the same thing. But small timers like me dumping and picking up from the same company is hardly noticeable

Wrong.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they're certainly not doing FIFO inventory in California.

I've run at least $2,000,000 face in halves over the last 2 years, almost exclusively with 1 carrier, I had a short stint with another, maybe 250k worth but Chase cut me off pretty quick.

Theres tens of millions in halves circulating in a big fed district, I go months without seeing certain marks, they come, they go, few months later they come, they go, but the silver always comes.

People come and go and say, "I've talked to soandso at brinks and garda and THIS IS HOW THEY DO IT" , hell I've talked to people at all the carriers, and indirectly to people at the FED, and everytime I think I have it figured out, it puts a spin on my theory.

The only thing that has proven true without a doubt, to echo the words of the legend Rich Hartford, VOLUME IS KING!

In your area a pattern will emerge. 1 silver per box, 2 silver per box, 0.5, 3, 4 whatever it is a pattern will emerge....this is the law of large numbers....you cannot escape it.....try as you might....you cannot, unless you are sending shipping containers full of halves out to another FED district....you cannot....I suggest moving instead.

Once your pattern has emerged....maximize your volume and just be consistent. I've averaged ~2 silver per box with a 4:1 ratio of 40% to 90% over the last 2 years.

HH,
Bigheed

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
You are right sir. Law of big numbers doesn't care about humans. Dimes are terrible in my VA area ,and halves are about 1.7 a box.

Maybe put one of those USB GPS devices in a bag of halves and see where it goes before it's dumped.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Everyone,

So I am a college student, and there is a US Bank on campus as well as one downtown... downtown being like two miles away. Would it be okay to use one as my pick up and the other as my dump?

Thanks

I think it would be ok, up to a point. If its your most convenient or only option, and you consistently find silver then you are good. This situation is probably only appropriate for low volume as large volume could cause the bank to catch on to what you are doing and cut you off, either dumping or picking up or both. I have one bank that has tried to impose fees to order boxes, which I won't pay, so they get rerolled dumps although one branch will still sell me no fee boxes. I only get a box from them occasionally and they don't produce very well so I really wouldn't care if they cut me off picking up. My volume is low with them so I don't think it's dump where you eat syndrome but who knows. One thing that can mess this up though is floating tellers. Pick up from skunk teller at branch A today and guess who is waiting at branch B to take your dumps tomorrow? I've come close to having this happen. Another situation that has come up for me involves TD bank. TD is a pick up bank for me. Everyone knows TD won't order halves. So I get dimes, nickels and cents from them. I also have one TD branch that I use only as a dump branch and all I bring them are bagged halves. In that situation there is no dump where you eat problem. The dimes, nicks and cents from TD go to the first bank I mentioned in the post. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread