2nd place is first loser

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Went to several banks today and picked at up someone's dumps, several of them (this 'buy them all' is getting old). I spy a white rim at the bottom of the quarters tray and a white rim at the bottom of the dime try.
I ask the teller "the quarter at the bottom, is that a Canadian quarter or an older one?"
Teller - "it's canadian"
My 7-year old, "Oh cool, can I see it?, please?"
Teller - "oh, I guess it is an old one" 7-year old "Daddy! It's Silver, it's silver!!! It's a 1942D and it's silver!"
Me - "Can I buy that one from you?"
Teller - "I was planning on keeping it for myself"
Me to the 7year old - "Give the quarter back now" Me to teller - "is the dime old also?"
Teller - "yeah, you can have it, I don't want it"
Me - "Cool, thanks."
Would have loved to have got the quarter but I'm certainly not going to pitch a fit over it. Got sniped a wild quarter, was gifted a silver dime. Feeling OK I guess. Free silver is free silver and any free silver is good silver.

Also had a teller tell me that he has ~$100+ in the big dollars and $260 in halves back at his branch that wasn't open on Saturday. I'll probably try to pick them up on Monday. Not sure what I'm going to do with the IKE's I'm accumulating but I just can't say no to them. One of these days I'll find a keeper.

HH

Upvote 0

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent self control on your part. You're right it's not really worth it to raise hell over a quarter. Congrats on the silver dime!

TheNotoriousA.G.

Apr 29, 2013
Detector(s) used
Hands & Ears
Primary Interest:
Other
Found my first silver quarter out of $1200 in customer wraps this week.. I would have played the "but it would make my kid really happy if we could keep it" card.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver dime, I respect you for not causing rage over a silver quarter like many of the other folks would, it's just not worth ruining a bank/teller relationship over a single silver worth $4. Kudos to you for doing the right thing and walking away with no harm done.
:occasion14:

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Thanks, no sense getting stupid over a quarter. From that branch I picked up 10 rolls each of pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters and halves. The halves were dumps (all three batches of halves were dumps from today) and the quarters and dimes were skunks. In the nickels I found a 43-P and my 7 year old found a '26 Buffalo. Only opened 4 of the penny rolls and found one wheatie so far. I'm telling you guys these nickels are pretty amazing. The last $150 I've bought has had 2 war nickels and 3 Buffalo's and that's picking them up $10-20 at a time from different locations. Having fun.

Thanks for looking

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story...I don't know why the teller would leave them out like that. You handled it really well.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice story...I don't know why the teller would leave them out like that. You handled it really well.

Yes, I would really like to know why a teller that is keeping silver, would leave it in the tray. Are they trying to mess with us? And I agree, kudos to op for not making a scene and calling the manager.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
UPDATE again - finished the pennies this morning, counting the 4 rolls from yesterday we opened exactly $20 worth. 39 of the rolls had a total of 6 wheaties, which isn't too good, but it's not terrible either. The 5 year old found a '30 which was the oldest and found 2 others in a roll. However, one particular roll fell to my wife to open, who is notoriously unlucky when it comes to CRH'ing. She dumps 5 or 6 off the top and there's 3 or 4 wheatie's laying there. I'm certain we're in for a score so we stop looking at that roll, have the boys finish their rolls and then start dumping out the wife's roll one or two coins as a time. Wheatie, wheatie, wheatie, memorial, wheatie, etc. End up dumping out 34 wheaties, oldest one being a '17. I realized there's no real money here but it was a very cool find.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Yes, I would really like to know why a teller that is keeping silver, would leave it in the tray. Are they trying to mess with us? And I agree, kudos to op for not making a scene and calling the manager.

I joked with the wife when I got home that maybe the teller was just waiting until she could get the 35 cents saved up to buy the silver? It seems pretty basic to me if I was a teller, anything I want to keep I'd put in my drawer, keep out of sight, or buy immediately... I don't know though, never been a teller.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread