Brand New CRHunter Here! I have the fever and little resources...

jvaughan

Tenderfoot
May 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys! My name is Jessica.

My late grandfather was a treasure hunter, and boy was he successful. We have a safe full of all of his different types of treasures. Native American, Civil War, all sorts of coins, etc.

There's one rule that we hunt by, and that's NO UNNECESSARY SPENDING! I wouldn't be hunting like Papa if I bought rolls from the bank.

As of now, I have been hunting for a little over a week (since University ended). I worked out a deal with the teller where I'm allowed to "withdraw" 2 trays of whatever rolls I want per day. I have to roll them and bring them back.

I've only succeeded in finding 13 wheat pennies (:icon_scratch: whoo hoo) and some foreign coins. NO SILVER! :(

I have tried a few gas stations for extra rolls in my town, but they all seem limited on coins.

Any suggestions for hunting without actually spending money? I mean, obviously I'm fine with spending money and then returning it.:laughing7:

Thanks guys!!

-Jess

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jess, check out this link if you haven't already, it might help you out. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...-beginners-guide-coin-roll-hunting-terms.html

You won't find silver in rolls of pennies(although there are a few rare incidents where this has happened), so I'd imagine you did quite well getting wheat cents out of rolls because I currently average 11 per box of $25 worth of pennies.

Also, if you drive a vehicle that is a gas guzzler, you'll spend quite a bit of money going to the banks just to get coins if you don't live in a city as well. I'd go to other banks in town and ask for "x" amount worth of a denomination and hope for finding some silver.
Good luck!

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not a no cost hobby, so it may not be for you. I have never heard of a bank allowing customers to "borrow" coin, if I am reading this correctly anyways. I also think this teller's boss might have something to say about this when he/she finds out!

Only way to not spend money is to walk to banks, count all rolls sight on seen, and to return rolls and not use coin counters. This will require ALOT more work and will not make you any fans with the tellers.

OP
OP
J

jvaughan

Tenderfoot
May 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I should have clarified that. I'm fine with spending the money as long as it's face value. I withdraw from my bank account in 2 trays of various rolls, take them home, look through them, roll them, and bring them back to the bank. The tellers are friendly and know me now, so they are fine with it.

My bank is a mile from my house, so that's a plus.

OP
OP
J

jvaughan

Tenderfoot
May 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for the link! I will check that out. Which coins are best to ask for? I feel like quarters have been picked through so much.

Please go easy on me. I'm such a noob.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly to find silver you have to put for a little effort- only doing 1 bank will not result in much if any silver- You might find the occasional but to stock pile youve gotta search through boxes and to do that you've gotta hit a couple different banks which involves gas and time- my gas bill has pretty much doubled since I started CRHing-

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jess the only additional advice I can give you is if you are working with a small budget and trying to minimize your expenses then you need to lower your expectations. Most hunters go to MANY banks increasing the odds exponentially that they will find something. Do you think your grandfather dug in the same field week after week looking for his treasures? Many fields are barren, some have owners that have already searched them, and there are a few that are literal gold mines. Coin roll hunting is fun because of the hunt of the unknown, but if you hunt the same bank week after week odds are you will find very little.

OP
OP
J

jvaughan

Tenderfoot
May 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, guys. You are all very helpful, and that link was GREAT!

I'm going to risk asking the head teller of my bank what happens to the bags of coins from the coin machine at my local Publix. They told me today they send them all to my bank, so maybe they would let me buy them? I doubt it...since I'm sure banking is much more complicated than I can imagine.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i like nickels, 1942-1945 are silver, and you can find buffalo nickels too.
Thank you so much for the link! I will check that out. Which coins are best to ask for? I feel like quarters have been picked through so much.

Please go easy on me. I'm such a noob.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, guys. You are all very helpful, and that link was GREAT!

I'm going to risk asking the head teller of my bank what happens to the bags of coins from the coin machine at my local Publix. They told me today they send them all to my bank, so maybe they would let me buy them? I doubt it...since I'm sure banking is much more complicated than I can imagine.

If it's a coinstar, they go to the main Brinks facility. The machine also rejects silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread