Good Karma? Several bests and a bunch of firsts.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
This weekend I had a '42-D quarter sniped out from under me. Pretty sure she would have sold it to me if I'd have asked, certainly would have had I pressed the point, but she seemed excited about it so I didn't want to ruin her day over a silver quarter, just not worth it. Didn't make a stink, thanked the teller and moved on. The next bank I went to didn't have anything but one of the tellers tells me that he works at a downtown branch (an area I know is thick w/ CRH'ers) that's closed on the weekend but that he has over 100 of the big dollar coins. I tell him I'll come by on Monday and get them from him. He then says he also has a couple hundred in halves as well. I'm certain their dumps (been eating dumps like skittles recently) and I've never found an IKE worth keeping but I figure I'm a slow learner so I'll take another spin on the merry go round.

Fast forward to today lunch, I run out to the branch and pick up said coin. When he breaks out the halves I'm encouraged that they're not cut and taped, but they're all a single wrapper type and they don't necessarily look 'old'. Inside the plastic bag of IKE's is a piece of paper that lists two withdrawals from the bag. Overall I figure I got 65% of the original total. From the bag I pulled a '72 var 1 that's gold plated, 2 - '73's, a 73-D, a '74-S that is awesome (now my favorite CRH find), 3 - '76-D var I's, a '77-S proof and a whole bunch of really, really nice IKE's. My first 73, my first 73-D, my first silver IKE and my first proof IKE. Obviously my best IKE day ever - not too bad. I'd love to know what the other 35% of the bag contained. I'd probably give 3-4x face for them.

The halves ended up as my best halves day ever as well. Found 2 Bens, 1 64 Ken, 43 40's, an 87-P (my first '87), 2 98-S's, 99-S, 00-S, 02-S, 08-P and 09-P. One of the '69-D's is gold plated. Four of the 40's were enders, the 02-S was an ender. The 08-P was right next to the '51. Not really sure what's up with that but I'll take it.

I don't normally post my finds but it was funny how I hadn't found a silver half in several weeks and was getting down that the silver was getting tough to find. Getting the quarter sniped this weekend stung (I've still never found a silver quarter) but I'm thinking in the end karma kicked in and hooked me up today. I'll take a '74-S IKE over a '42-D quarter any day of the week.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go, I am a believer in Karma, You do good and good will come back in one form or another. Thanks for sharing,

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you say 43-40%'s? That is a really nice collection. Good score on the Ikes as well. I picked up $306 last week and was disappointed to find just a bunch of clad. The only positive was that they miscounted and gave me 312 coins. The Ikes are a little tougher to get rid of, but finding a silver would be awesome. Great job!

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Zero - Thanks. Obviously I was stoked. And yeah, found 43 silver clad halves (1-65, 4-66, 24-67, 9-68-D, 5-69-D). Spread out pretty well. Best roll had 6 silvers (5-67's and a 68D). Another had 4 silvers (3-67's and a 69-D) and two proofs ('02 & '98). The 69-D in that roll was gold plated. The gold plated silver absolutely blew my 5 year olds mind. He's still talking about it. Only 5 of the rolls didn't have at least one keeper. The one that really blew my mind was having a '51 literally right next to an '08-P. I don't get it.....

A $6 gift isn't a bad thing. Theoretically it's better than finding a 40%'er?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread