Starting a home coin pick-up service. Best or worst idea of all time?

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to talk through this idea so someone can explain to me why it is a terrible idea.

Coinstar somehow makes money off of people willing to sell their change for 90 or 92 cents on the dollar or whatever their fee is. I'm assuming these people don't have bank accounts, or don't know that they can bring their change jars to the bank, or they are otherwise financially illiterate enough to pay a significant fee to get paper money for their change.

So obviously people like that are out there.

So the business model: buy a high-capacity (but still portable) change sorter, advertise on craigslist or on small-town grocery store bulletin boards, schedule appointments, go to people's homes, count their change, and buy it (for a small service charge).

Pros:
  • Cuts the middle-man (banks) out of CRH
  • Instant profit via fee percentage (although probably very modest, hopefully enough to cover expenses)
  • Experience a unique slice of folksy American culture as you travel the countryside visiting people in their homes. Who knows what else you might run across? It'll be just like American Pickers!

Cons:
  • Driving around in the middle of nowhere with large amounts of cash, meeting strangers. What could possibly go wrong?
  • No one trusts this weird new service or wants to use it; you bought a $1000 coin machine that now serves no purpose.
  • Where do you go for repair service on big honking coin sorting machines when they break down?
  • Experience a horrifying slice of American culture as you travel the countryside visiting people in their homes. Who knows what else you might run across? It'll be just like Hoarders!

All kidding aside though - is there enough upside to this idea, once some of the kinks are worked out, to make it worth giving it a try? Or is it just an absolutely horrible idea, and that's why no one is doing it already?

You'd have to figure out the math and find a fee schedule that was enough to cover costs but low enough for people to feel okay paying it. And the "carrying lots of cash" part is rather concerning. Although presumably you'd be meeting people at their homes, and know their names before-hand. Seems less likely they'd rob you that way... but someone could easily ambush you after the fact, once they knew what you were driving.

I have lots more pros-and-cons bouncing around in my head, but the whole point of this post was to see what other people's thoughts were. So... proceed. This ought to be entertaining.

Upvote 0

Don't Blink

Apr 17, 2013
Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could test the waters at a flea market or swap meet. It might take a few weeks to get the word out but you could see if the coins/customers are out there.
Also offer the service to other merchants in the flea market/swap meet, at a discount and get those coins too.
As for keeping large amounts of money on hand you could give cash for the first 100 or 200 dollars then a check from a nearby bank for the rest. (The lottery merchants do that here in Texas.)

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
So is the ice cream truck portion out? Let me know and I'll get the Dilly Bars ready.

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
I've done it.

I have it on a couple business cards- that I buy coin jars, collections, etc. Actually, 3 different ways on 3 different cards...
Have had several dozen calls in the last three or four YEARS. Most of the time it has been very small containers- like $20-30 bucks, once a 5 gallon water jug completely full of cents and a very little clad -that had $2,300.

As far as profiting... Not much money in it- but you will collect up a little silver and plenty of wheaties. Then again- I may be overly honest and always pay spot for the silver. I'm sure unethically- someone could steal a bit more out of it.
BTW, the only calls you'll get are 45 miles away, The house will stink like cat pee, they will think the Walker half they have is worth easily 40-50 bucks and being armed is Absolutely necessary....

Good luck though.
PEACE

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be your first customer! I have about $6,000 worth of coins right now, just for you, and I'm only a couple miles away. :)

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be your first customer! I have about $6,000 worth of coins right now, just for you, and I'm only a couple miles away. :)
I was going to put "getting rolled by other CRHers" on my list of cons, but I figured nobody who spends 3 hours to find $2 worth of silver is going to pay a 5% fee on their dump coins :)

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Giving them a check sure wouldnt work, isnt the whole idea is to save them a trip to the bank? I wouldnt give money, even pennies, to get a check.

1more seems to have the experience in this business. It just doesnt work! Also, having a shoot out, over a jar of pennies is not very cool.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe we as crh'ers should starta club, pull some funds together

say it costs $250/week for a dunbar truck to deliver and a brinks truck to pickup

each member contributes ~$10 week. CRH'n clubs, best or worst idea ever ??

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe we as crh'ers should starta club, pull some funds together

say it costs $250/week for a dunbar truck to deliver and a brinks truck to pickup

each member contributes ~$10 week. CRH'n clubs, best or worst idea ever ??

I sayz it once and I sayz it gain, you're one of the best innovators in the rap game and cee are 8chin

BCinATL

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So jamesandsons, did you ever give this a try and did it work?

BCinATL

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I was going to put "getting rolled by other CRHers" on my list of cons, but I figured nobody who spends 3 hours to find $2 worth of silver is going to pay a 5% fee on their dump coins :)

I actually saw someone post on Craigslist that they were doing this for free and they just asked to keep any wheats or silver that they find. I have about $200 in Zincolns that need to be cashed... I think I could make it worthwhile and throw a few 1950's wheats in there and call them up... :laughing7:

uncubano13

Jun 25, 2013
Wyoming, MI
Detector(s) used
Bought 2 of them from garage sales
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done this before but without the machine, I hand rolled all the coin and my fee was to keep all old coins prior to 1970 that I came across. Worked out well it was like roll searching but backwards! lol

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thoughts are leaning more towards trust issues, I think more people would trust a bank to count their change then some random guy showing up in a van or armored car to count their coins. Who is to say he doesn't have his machine calibrated to skim every 5th coin and end up paying you 200 dollars for 300 dollars in coins. Costs alone as already pointed out would eat you alive. Then the safety issues of being rolled, possibly shot for little to nothing in money maybe. You hear about people from craigslist being a total set up to rob them, think if they knew you were coming with lots of cash already.

Why not buy a few coin counting machines, put them in key locations. Maybe lower income areas. 2 machines would easily be enough for you to handle as a part time job, between fixing them all the time and hauling off coins to sort at home for the goodies, plus your own personal internal reject trays. Just set it up like coinstars with cash out at a 5% or gift cards (which you know they get a chunk off kickbacks from also). Love the innovative ideas, but some ideas work how they are and all you need to do is get a station or 2 set up of your own for your own personal treasure trove.

On another idea........ How come i never see pontoon boats made into snow cone stands floating around lakes?!?! Snow cone stands are always in town way away from the beaches, why not fit a pontoon boat with seats that drop down into the water (swim up bar type thing), motor around to popular swim areas selling out on snow cones that kids and parents can swim up too. Then at night kick that pontoon into bar mode and hit up the adult spots. After popular weekends use the downtime to metal detect the areas where you set up and find all the jewelry and coins in the water where you dropped anchor. /shrug

Last edited:

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snowcones are a good idea, but the thought of motoring around, with people swimming around, that doesnt mix. Then night time, motoring around in the dark with swimmers dosent sound good either. You would never get a license for that, and if you did, the insurance would do you in.

The coin counting machines might bring in something, that is if you knew how to service them, and were on call around the clock. I will stick with beach hunting!

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So jamesandsons, did you ever give this a try and did it work?

BCinATL

Of course not. I just thought it was a fun idea to play around with. I wish it were feasible, but it really just isn't. If it were, someone else would probably already be doing it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread