Nice surprise in a dime box - 1907o Barber

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going through some boxes of dimes yesterday and this little beauty popped out. Looks to be in great shape with nice toning (more evident on the obverse's left side). Here is a scan of the front and back.

1907oBarber_zps9ef026e5.jpg

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Sweet find, Nick. It is easily in VF condition. If the headband's edges were a little more distinct, it would be XF. A solid $45 dollar value. With the attractive toning and lower edge of the headband holding it back from XF, it might push closer to the XF value of $70. Also, take a closer look at the O mintmark. There looks like there is a little wobble to it. I like it. When you go for a haircut, you don't just settle for the buzz-cut. Instead, you settle in the chair and get all styled.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is a very very nice barber- congrats

OP
OP
CardsNCoins

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..... Also, take a closer look at the O mintmark. There looks like there is a little wobble to it. I like it. When you go for a haircut, you don't just settle for the buzz-cut. Instead, you settle in the chair and get all styled.

Thanks Ken.

Funny you brought that up about the mintmark because after looking at a few 1907 o dimes on eBay I noticed one that sold with the seller claiming a repunched mintmark (he called it RPM001 as per the Flynn reference), and that may be what I have. As for his RPM001 as per the Flynn reference designation, I dont know what that means, but clearly (as you pointed out) there looks to a be a little doubling on the mintmark of my coin.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick, she's a beauty, congrats on an awesome find... How have your other boxes been lately?

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice looking barber. Does a repunched mintmark increase the value? Congrats!

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice cull! How many boxes of dimes are you doing a week now?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find CNC. WAY better condition than the average CRHed Barber.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
For a second there, I thoughts I read, 19070 knew it was too good to be true. hope Merica's still round then, and they go back to making Ag dimes, with barber heads on it, one can only imagine

fjer

Aug 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! A barber is something I hope I can cross off my list once I get back to America.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, Cards! Are your half boxes still producing well, or have you started to see diminishing returns like most of us?

OP
OP
CardsNCoins

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice looking barber. Does a repunched mintmark increase the value? Congrats!

I dont really know because I'm not sure how widely it's accepted as an error. The one on eBay sold for $37 in lesser condition than mine, so there may be a slight premium.

Awesome find, Cards! Are your half boxes still producing well, or have you started to see diminishing returns like most of us?

My half dollar finds have also slowed down a bit.

That's a lot of dimes. How many silver out of thirty boxes? And great score on the barber.

I am averaging 1.86 per box so far for the year. That's up a bit from my steady 1.5 per from both 2011 and 2012.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread