How do I get silver halves from that bag?

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
I was dumping at TD and a bunch of halves in the bag are silver. I had no halves on me to try to switch em out. They never sell bags at td.

My plan is to get there when they open, fill a dime bag, and have a pocket of halves and ask the teller to trade on out of the bag "for the old, collectable one I see."

Any advice or strategies? Should I talk to the manager? I might try that if the teller doesn't have allow it. Hopefully, that pocket of silver will be mine!
- Silver Stash

Upvote 0

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't, unless you have a friend. Back near home, I was friends with the head teller of a branch. She'd hit me up whenever silver was dumped in quantity, I'd bring two bags, one with $100, one with enough to top the bag... the bag would be filled, I'd cash out, then go to my SDB, and switch the $100 bag I brought for hers. Nifty little trick... and about the only way to get silver from them. I'd cut her in half the profit. That's the kind of stuff it takes to get silver from those bags.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try to build a relationship with the employees there first. You may get lucky and get that bag but most banks you need to get to know the employees first if you already haven't.

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having someone risk their job for you is not "about the only way". Politely asking has worked for me at least a handful of times (out of about 10 attempts) at TD so give it a shot.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your plan might work?? I know a bank guy that takes silver from the bags and takes the funny money and sells it on ebay.

TheNotoriousA.G.

Apr 29, 2013
Detector(s) used
Hands & Ears
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm pretty sure if I asked at a few of my dump banks they'd let me swap a coin or two in the bag, if it was close to the top. This will never happen though because I dump on top of my own dumps almost every week.

Ask, worst they can say is no.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was only able to get silver once. From a bag. In fact last time i dumped a bunch of my marked coins the bag was halfway filled with silver. I never thought I'd say this but I hope i get back some of my dumps haha

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I was dumping halves at the time, I just asked the lady if I could pull a few out of the bag and throw in a few of the ones I was dumping to make up for it. She just shrugged and told me to go for it.

That was the one and only time I saw any silver in a bag at a TD.

OP
OP
Mr. Silver Stash

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, being polite worked. The teller scooped a couple handfuls out of the bag and let me look through them. I got 6 40% out of the deal. The only halves I had were impaired proof coins, but I was happy with that trade. I might have to try and go get the rest, I'd say there's at least 6 more in there.

ForumRunner_20130528_083412.png

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Silver Stash!

I thought the TD machines were pretty efficient at rejecting silver (my only silver reject tray finds have been at TD). Maybe that doesn't apply to 40% halves.

OP
OP
Mr. Silver Stash

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
I get a lot of silver from penny arcade reject tray too, including 90% 40% halves. That is why I was surprised to see these. Each machine is tuned or worn in different. Some give big errors on counts, other reject silver.

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the only time i asked to swap out a half the lady had to go digging for it, after a while she moved enough coins around i could tell it wasnt even silver, i told her to it was ok if it was to hard to reach it she could stop, she kept going and ended up breaking a nail, i could tell she was pretty mad about the nail so i havent been back to that bank since.

jasonscoins

Apr 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious, I've seen posts about penny arcades, including this thread. Forgive my ignorance, but what the heck are those?

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You handled it nicely. Got a little face value AG, and maybe made a friend in the teller.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread