Always ask if the bank has customer returned rolls in the vault!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Saturday (1-13-07) I went to a bank I do not normally go to to look for loose halves. I bought $200 worth because that was all the cash I had on me. The vault teller said she had another $150 so I asked her to save them till the next Saturday. Those $200 did OK just a few 40% and some BU/AU, I was happy.

Well this Friday I picked up 2 boxes of halves at my normal bank and Saturday I picked up the balance of the halves. These were older looking paper wrappers and I could tell that a few different customers had dropped them off because of the different wrapper styles. I got about half way through with only a few keepers, then I got to a different style wrapper (red stripes) and opened it up. THE WHOLE ROLL LOOKED LIKE SILVER. I looked at my pile of un-opened halves and two other rolls also had red stripes. I immediately tore open those wrappers and TWO MORE ROLLS OF SILVER. :o ;D :D Out of 60 coins 50 were either 90% or 40%!!!

I got 2 walking liberty and 6 franklins in that batch and a bunch of JFKs. Four of the franklins, 3-4 of the 90% JFKs and 6-8 of the 40% JFKs looked uncirculated.

Total count from two boxes and $150 in rolls:
2 - walking liberty
6 - franklins
11 - 90% JFK
52 - 40% JFK
1 - 40% 1776-1976 silver proof JFK

= 72 silver ;D

(+ 35 BU/AU clad)

Upvote 0

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I've had dreams that were that good.

Congrats and thanks for sharing !

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
Wow, what an absolutely awesome haul of silver on that treasure hunting trip Thurmonator!!! :o Another huge chunk of proof that coinshooting whole rolls at a time in your kitchen can payoff, if you keep at it. Most folks think all the silver's been found but your story proves once more that it's still out there for the few like yourself who aren't afraid or non-believing enough, or whatever , to ask a bank teller for a roll or two of quarters even or like I do, about $10 worth of pennys if they have them. Ask & ye will recieve, lots of times, anyway. ;D

My closest to that, and it's not really very close, was three rolls of pennys with nothing newer than 65! Oldest 1933, in VF+ at least. Thanx for posting. :) Keep the faith dude, there's more out there! 8) Lb

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
larrybass said:
Wow, what an absolutely awesome haul of silver on that treasure hunting trip Thurmonator!!! :o Another huge chunk of proof that coinshooting whole rolls at a time in your kitchen can payoff, if you keep at it. Most folks think all the silver's been found but your story proves once more that it's still out there for the few like yourself who aren't afraid or non-believing enough, or whatever , to ask a bank teller for a roll or two of quarters even or like I do, about $10 worth of pennys if they have them. Ask & ye will recieve, lots of times, anyway. ;D

My closest to that, and it's not really very close, was three rolls of pennys with nothing newer than 65! Oldest 1933, in VF+ at least. Thanx for posting. :) Keep the faith dude, there's more out there! 8) Lb

Actually it was cyberdan who made the great post. But your point is well taken. Congrats again cyberdan.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions