How do you re-wrap your rolls?

Punchy71

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
I am completely new to coin roll hunting and haven't actually started yet buy I am thinking. I was wanting to know what everyone's technique is for re-wrapping torn-open rolls. Do you discard the destroyed paper wrapper and buy some new wrappers and re-wrap them yourself by hand or do you somehow re-use the torn paper wrappers and if so how do you do that?

Thank you

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are going to get a lot of different opinions here- there are those who will say NOT to reuse the original wrappers, then there are those who do- before I found some banks that had coin counting machines I re-wrapped my rolls with the original mainly because most banks don't have half dollar paper rolls on hand and I didn't want to buy any and spend money- here is how I did it: I would pick the corners of one side and carefully unwrap just one side open- then dump the coins into palm on hand check and then slide them back in and fold the paper in- pretty simple-

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I use brown wrappers. I absolutely hate when people are to lazy to do this and reuse the yellow wrapper. This screams " I am only looking for silver " to the teller. I will refuse to take them. I do not have enough cash to waste time rue rolling them. Also please don't write " NO SILVER" in huge letters on the roll.

TheNotoriousA.G.

Apr 29, 2013
Detector(s) used
Hands & Ears
Primary Interest:
Other
I just ordered 4000 wrappers from banksupplies.com since i'll be losing coin machine access in the near future. I have not had to re roll yet, but that's the way my old man does it and he's never had any issues.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New wrappers are cheap and easy to use.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Re-roll if you must but I recommend finding a machine. It's easier for the tellers and you won't get those looks when you show up with $500+ in rolled halves. Plus when you use a machine it effectively removes the rolls from your area (until someone else orders them) which can help other hunters and save them from the aggravation of finding a bunch of dumps. To each their own.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are not a volume hunter, and just dump in small amounts ASK banks for some rolls. They GIVE them out for free. Never rewrap.

howardgooden

Aug 29, 2011
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE,Fisher F2,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use the original wrapper (yellow) from one bank and take them to my dump bank for drop off. Never had any issues.

howardgooden

Aug 29, 2011
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You just can't do this, it ruins it for everyone else.

I do better than average at this game using the above technique. Never had any issues on returns. I read about people getting skunked on entire boxes when I usually get better returns on just 100 dollars worth of rolls.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get free half wrappers from the bank and re-roll. Everything else I take to the bank and run through the coin counter.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I do better than average at this game using the above technique. Never had any issues on returns. I read about people getting skunked on entire boxes when I usually get better returns on just 100 dollars worth of rolls.

This does not affect your averages, it only makes the guy who picks up your dumps extremely mad (If they are machine wrapped).

OR are you saying you do this with CWR "Customer Wrapped Rolls"? By Yellow, I thought you meant loomis or the like, and would rewrap the machine wrap rolls. IF you are doing with with CWR, then of course, there is absolutely nothing wrong with re-using rolls. From you saying $100 worth of rolls, I figure you are dealing in CWR, and not machine wrapped rolls, therefore my comments no longer apply to you.

What I get off about, is the kind of people who go through an entire box, and resuse the rolls that came from Loomis, Garda, Brinks.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just use coin lock bags with the merchant teller if you can.

howardgooden

Aug 29, 2011
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This does not affect your averages, it only makes the guy who picks up your dumps extremely mad (If they are machine wrapped).

OR are you saying you do this with CWR "Customer Wrapped Rolls"? By Yellow, I thought you meant loomis or the like, and would rewrap the machine wrap rolls. IF you are doing with with CWR, then of course, there is absolutely nothing wrong with re-using rolls. From you saying $100 worth of rolls, I figure you are dealing in CWR, and not machine wrapped rolls, therefore my comments no longer apply to you.

What I get off about, is the kind of people who go through an entire box, and resuse the rolls that came from Loomis, Garda, Brinks.

I use the same rolls i hunt from. They are striped yellow and the bank gets them in from I believe Loomis. I take them to my dump bank and the teller always ask if i found any silver. If someone wanted to come and buy them back, that is their business.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never understood the whole re-wrap debate. Sure, its disappointing when a bank says they have halves and then you see they're all Loomis/Brinks rewraps and therefore will probably be devoid of silver (although I have found a few 40%ers in these re-rolls over the years). However, even if the coins had been placed in new CWRs, its the same coins. Either there is silver in there or there isn't. What type of rolls the coins were placed in really doesn't matter.

With that said, based on what I've seen on this forum, a few coin couriers seem to get lazy when they get back coins re-wrapped in their own wrappers and just re-box the re-wraps without even counting them. Anything that can be done to prevent this from happening should be done.

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was cut off by my main dump bank a while ago (all 16 branches had coin counters!). Instead of hurting the system I decided to do the "right" thing. Opened a business account(DBA myself), 20 bucks a month. I drop 2k per week at 5 branches in coinloks; all are less than 5 mi from my work. Heck I used to drive LOTS of miles dumping in the past but it cheaper this way.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the original wrapper (yellow) from one bank and take them to my dump bank for drop off. Never had any issues.

This is ALL I do. Slit right down the side and tape or no tape depending where I am dumping. Some dump banks dump them into bags other ship the boxes as is.

There is NO DIFFERENCE if you get a dump of rewrapped or re-used wrappers, A DUMP IS A DUMP!!! Plus it doesn't make sense to blame or get mad at other CRH's, its the coin curriers lazyness of not breaking open the rolls and rewrapping, like they are supposed to, that is the issue.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just can't do this, it ruins it for everyone else.

NO, It doesn't. If I take the dog poop from my yard and put it in a nice shiny box, guess what? Its still dog SH*T.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread