Where to start coin roll hunting?

zechariahbendovid

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just learned about coin roll hunting a few days ago, and decided to try it out for the first time today. Got a roll of quarters and 2 rolls of dimes from my bank, a roll of quarters from a stereo store, and another from a Chinese restaurant. Got nothing. Got 3-4 1965's, but a '65 is a '65 and a pre-1965 is worth money. Where do y'all get productive rolls?

Upvote 0

denomi

Apr 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its all about scale and your's is way to small. I went through $1000 in half dollars today and $750 in dimes last weekend... and I'm small fry compared to many on this forum. Picking up a roll here and there isn't enough. Go to a bank and order boxes and boxes and boxes!

Best of luck!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you're not planning to get rich doing this, because you won't.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin_collection.gif
Keep at it - you will hit soon zechariahbendovid.

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have the cash, boxes are the way to go. I don't have that kind of money laying around so I'll get maybe 6-8 rolls of dimes and a couple rolls of nickels each time. Occasionally I'll pick up a partially-filled coinLOK bag from my credit union. Eventually I'll order a Halves box, but for now I'm doing okay with the level I've been hunting at. Found 1 silver dime in each of my last 3 pick-ups, with an assortment of foreigns mixed in.

Good luck!

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay away from quarters.. at least for now..

I'd suggest getting as many rolls of dimes as you can afford, easiest to find silver there.. And also go to as many banks as you can and ask for half dollars, buy as many as you can, don't order boxes until you learn the ropes.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Your original question was where.... where to start hunting, no one as so far has answered the original. pick a numba pick any numba, take your chances.

800px-Federal_Reserve_Districts_Map.svg.png

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Ignore the '65s (everything but the halves), they literally made billions of them because of the changeover to clad (bad money drives out good and so if they wanted coins to circulate they had to be clad because the silver was worth more as bullion than as currency).

As for where, go to your local bank that you've got an account at. Buy some rolls or a box. Find a different bank, dump those for cash, take the cash and buy some more boxes, repeat.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ignore the '65s (everything but the halves), they literally made billions of them because of the changeover to clad (bad money drives out good and so if they wanted coins to circulate they had to be clad because the silver was worth more as bullion than as currency).

As for where, go to your local bank that you've got an account at. Buy some rolls or a box. Find a different bank, dump those for cash, take the cash and buy some more boxes, repeat.

And read the beginner's guide.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread