Interesting day at the dump bank

323GTX

Jan 15, 2013
Columbus, OH & Beijing, PRC
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This morning I went to one of my regular dump banks to offload some halves, and noticed one of the tellers counting a stack of $100 bills. I saw they were older style bills from when money actually looked like money. I asked if she could tell me how old some of them were. She looked closely and started out: “This one is 1950, so is this one, and this one is 1950 too, OH, this one is 1934, and this one says 1934B...”

And she kept going... 35 times! Yada, yada, yada... I bought them all.

After a couple hours looking at Ebay “sold listings” trying to get a feel for ballpark values, especially for the 1950 “star note” and the two 1934 B “green seals” (they look yellowish to me), I gave up. A truly fruitless endeavor, since the values vary so widely.

Since all these $100s are tying-up a good chunk of my CRH money, I was wondering if anyone has any advice on which notes would be worth keeping and which to throw back towards CRHing.

I’m posting pics of the 1934s notes, the 1950B “star”, and a lowish serial number 1950. I’m not posting pics of the other 1950s notes, since they probably are only worth face. No?

Thanks in advance for any and all constructive advice!

Here are the 1934 notes (the top 2 are very light green, almost yellowish-- doesn't show well in pic)

1934s.JPG

1950 Star Note

1950 Star Note.JPG

Is this considered a "low" serial number for a 1950 note?

Low serial 1950.JPG

Upvote 0

Cougar729

Apr 8, 2013
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know much about the value of the old 100's. But...Like you, I like the old look of these bills, looks like what money is supposed to look like. If they aren't worth anything you can always spend them on CRH. I'd probably end up keeping the oldest and the star note.

omga747

Oct 28, 2011
Southern CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Aw man, they're probably kind of hard to sell on ebay for any good profit, but I'd feel bad just spending those. I know the lighter green ones are worth more and can probably be sold on ebay. The star would definitely sell and the other 1934s too, given enough time.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I think they could fetch a premium on eBay, the Paper Currency forum should help you out more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread