A couple of firsts today: results of 2 bags

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Bank misses my order last week and they will double me up the next week so I got 2 bags this week instead of my usual one.
Bag #1 had 9 - 40%s one of which was my first... Bicentennial PROOF!
Bag #2 had a '64, a '62 Franklin, and 2 - 40%s one of which was a 69 S PROOF! (Hadn't found a silver proof up till today)

Got a ton of foreign and change in both bags too
Also 3 clad proofs

And the lucky monopoly game piece : )

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    724 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    606.3 KB · Views: 174
Upvote 0

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow i see some interesting stuff in there, even vintage tokens! I really want to try bags soon!

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing to look for in bags of halves is the Mexican 10 Peso coin of 1992-1995 because that has a sterling center (later ones just have a copper-nickel center) I see them in bags all the time (never been lucky enough to get a silver one though) but never in boxes for some reason.

10 Nuevos Pesos - Mexico - Numista

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice extras. I think that NC Ave Monopoly piece from McDs was a winner - too bad it's prob expired. :) The Canadian stuff you can eBay - that's what I do with mine.

HH

Mkelly315

May 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can someone explain bags to me? What are they, where do they come from, and where do I ask for one (the bank duh...)?

OP
OP
mAGma

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing to look for in bags of halves is the Mexican 10 Peso coin of 1992-1995 because that has a sterling center (later ones just have a copper-nickel center) I see them in bags all the time (never been lucky enough to get a silver one though) but never in boxes for some reason.

10 Nuevos Pesos - Mexico - Numista

sweet, I did not know that. I've probly found 10 or so (all in bags) but I think they have been from the 80s

OP
OP
mAGma

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Can someone explain bags to me? What are they, where do they come from, and where do I ask for one (the bank duh...)?

Probly works a little different depending on what part of the country you are in. But I've got a standing order with my bank for a bag a week. They are not processed through and rolled into boxes. They come from a different bank. As in, they have the name of the bank where they came from on the side. They more dirt and "junk" is in them...usually the better they are because they've been in the counter getting slowly filled up. Along with all the extras in those two bags one of them actually had some glass in it. I've heard of people getting ammunition in theirs before. However, you've got a good chance that they are from someones dump bank and are their dumps.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other

Depends on the bank and the denomination.

Some banks will get bags in when they order coin. This is fairly rare as most banks get boxed rolls but bags are the norm when dealing with large sized (silver-dollar sized) dollars (the small ones like the Sacajawea and SBA dollars will come in rolls and a box).

Most of the time bags will come off of the coin counter. Each bank and each counter has a different setting for when a bag fills. My pickup bank has it set as:

Pennies - $50
Nickels - $100
Dimes - $500
Quarters - $500
Halves - $1000
Dollars - $1000

But I've seen penny bags fill at $100 and nickels at $200, similarly I've seen bags of just $25 of pennies. Each bank can set their own bag limits and so there's no real "standard" bag the way that there are boxes.

It depends on how the bank is set up on if they can sell the bags to them. Since this is an unusual request (unlike boxes) some tellers might not know how to sell bags to you even though the bank is set up to allow it. Sometimes the bank simply isn't set up to handle buying bags (they might automatically "sell" the bag to the vault when it fills) and that's ok.

Keep in mind that bags are usually "off" sometimes its in your favour, sometimes its in the bank's. The important thing is to NOT COMPLAIN about the bag being off. If you can't suck up and take a $50 loss, then buying bags isn't for you. You'll often find foreign coins, guitar picks, and other random crap in your bags along with play money and the wrong denomination. But, your chances of finding a jackpot score are much greater because if someone brings in a collection, its likely to just be dumped in the coin sorter. However, some sorters will reject silver and foreign coins, meaning searching through those bags are likely to be a useless endeavour.

You have to ask though, most of the time banks cannot sell you a partial bag, so wait until a bag has filled and then ask if you can buy it and see what they say. Some banks will let you, others won't.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thats alot of foreign!! Lots of shiny silver too! congrats on your proofs, especially the 1976!!!

Now, those foreign coins and US change, are they "extra" or were they counted as halves?

Wish I could get bags, seems like you did real well on them!

OP
OP
mAGma

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow thats alot of foreign!! Lots of shiny silver too! congrats on your proofs, especially the 1976!!!

Now, those foreign coins and US change, are they "extra" or were they counted as halves?

Wish I could get bags, seems like you did real well on them!

Well I just took my coins back and got 1982.50 so yes the larger foreign and tokens look like they get counted as halves. That being said, I get excited when I see foreign because it almost always means silver is with it. And honestly, this is a treasure hunt for me. Finding Anything cool/interesting is fun. I'm good with bags being a little short because I know it will come back around. I had a buddy who got a bag that was $90 Over.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, I did find a bank a few months ago who will sell bags right from their machines once they are full. I went today and they had a quarter bag, so I got that, and left my name/number for any future bags of dimes/quarters/halves.

Sucks the foreign isnt extra, but if you do find interesting ones, I guess it evens out :)

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread