Need some advice about CRH Equipment

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't seen this discussed before, so I thought I would post a new thread. I CRH in a variety of ways. I order boxes of halves, I try to find halves in teller trays, I pick up boxes of dimes, and I do road trips to new areas.

My question pertains to road trips: Is there a gps that will list banks? I used to have a tom tom and I hated it for actual directions, so I got rid of it. When I need directions, I generally go to google maps and print them out.

So far with my road trips, I decide on a general area that I want to hunt and then go to the bank websites for banks that I have accounts at and figure out where they are in that area. Then I'll go to google maps and get an idea of where other banks in that area are. Sometimes I'll write down addresses, etc. For the most part I have been hitting areas that I am already somewhat familiar with. Now I am getting to the point where I am doing road trips that I am much less familiar with. I still find my way to the main banks that I want to hit, but I feel like I am being less efficient than I could be and I want to change that.

I know some gps units will tell you where hotels, restaurants, stores, etc are, but are there gps units that tell you where banks are? If so, which one does it the best?

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm off work tomorrow and working on plotting my course, but I'm trying to figure out if my first stop should be buying a gps.

Upvote 0

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
A lot of newer GPS units are preloaded with locations including banks. A tip I can offer while using Google Maps is to scroll to an area you want to go to and simply search "Bank". You will then see all the banks in the area. You'll notice that a lot of them are on main roads close together.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah what he said ^^^ Search "Bank".

I use yahoo maps but im sure its just the same. although atleast on yahoo it shows other financial places, but that are not banks.

I think ive seen people talk about smart phone apps that will do the same thing. I dont have a smart phone though... dont need my whole daily life recorded and databased. but thats another subject.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of newer GPS units are preloaded with locations including banks. A tip I can offer while using Google Maps is to scroll to an area you want to go to and simply search "Bank". You will then see all the banks in the area. You'll notice that a lot of them are on main roads close together.

Thanks. The google maps thing is what I usually do now after I verify that I have at least some banks that I have accounts at in that area. I think I'm headed to Amish country tomorrow. This should be an interesting experiment. I really like finding silver in boxes, but the elusive dream box keeps me going on these road trips that are predominantly unsuccessful.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah what he said ^^^ Search "Bank".

I use yahoo maps but im sure its just the same. although atleast on yahoo it shows other financial places, but that are not banks.

I think ive seen people talk about smart phone apps that will do the same thing. I dont have a smart phone though... dont need my whole daily life recorded and databased. but thats another subject.

I don't have a smart phone either. That's why I'm looking for an alternative. I'm on the internet 14 hours a day as it is, I really don't need it on my phone, too. Not to mention, I'm also too cheap to pay for it.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good GPS is a must if you want to do roadtrip. Mine is a Megellan which works very well for Banks and driving directions. When you are in a new town without GPS you could spend too much time to look for the bank. Megellan will list all the banks in an area with phone numbers.

However, road trip is a waste of time now compared to a few years ago. Back in 2008 or 2009 each trip I would find 100+ silvers. I did two last year only found 5 silvers on one trip and skunked on the other. The scenery was always good though.

Last edited:

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have a smart phone either. That's why I'm looking for an alternative. I'm on the internet 14 hours a day as it is, I really don't need it on my phone, too. Not to mention, I'm also too cheap to pay for it.

Smart phones aren't for everyone but mine is an important crh tool when I'm on the road and I couldn't imagine not having it. Decent camera, Internet access any time any where, apps for locating nearby banks or other businesses, treasure net, the list goes on. I don't think I'll change any minds with this post but I will say that my wife held out for a long time, not wanting one but now that she's got it she loves it. They are expensive, I will concede. We pay $160/month for two iPhones. HH

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Like Yinzi50, I also use a Magellan and it has an option to just point out nearby banks.

I also research, via Google, lists of area banks for places I'm travelling to, especially when I know I'll be back there several times. I try to vary what banks I dump at and rarely ever buy and dump at the same place so the internet & Magellan come in handy. The trick is to find banks along your actual route and not have to make side detours - saves on gas expense & time.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good GPS is a must if you want to do roadtrip. Mine is a Megellan which works very well for Banks and driving directions. When you are in a new town without GPS you could spend too much time to look for the bank. Megellan will list all the banks in an area with phone numbers.

However, road trip is a waste of time now compared to a few years ago. Back in 2008 or 2009 each trip I would find 100+ silvers. I did two last year only found 5 silvers on one trip and skunked on the other. The scenery was always good though.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check out a magellan. Most of the time my road trips are a bust, but I've also had some success with them. Last week I did better with teller tray scores than my 6 boxes. Over the last two weeks, I stopped at maybe 20 banks and ended up with 5-'64 halves and 13-40% from four of them in teller trays.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smart phones aren't for everyone but mine is an important crh tool when I'm on the road and I couldn't imagine not having it. Decent camera, Internet access any time any where, apps for locating nearby banks or other businesses, treasure net, the list goes on. I don't think I'll change any minds with this post but I will say that my wife held out for a long time, not wanting one but now that she's got it she loves it. They are expensive, I will concede. We pay $160/month for two iPhones. HH

I'm sure I'll end up with one sooner or later. I don't think they really make non-smart phones anymore, so once mine breaks, I'll have no choice. When I'm on call for work I have to carry an I-phone and I'm not a huge fan of it. Aside from the expense, the phone itself is really large and bulky. My biggest aversion to smart phones are the touch screens. There are a lot of scenarios (meetings, family funcitons, etc) where I like to be able to send text messages without actually looking at the phone or key pad and that is impossible with a touch screen.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have s GPS also, it does tell me where banks are which is great but it sometimes brings you to a vacant lot or an office that isn't a bank. I generally just stick to the areas i know do I don't get lost and don't have to rely on s GPS.
I have done two road trips since November, they can be quite confusing if you don't know the area.
Good luck!
Note: my GPS is like 5 years old and I'm not paying for an upgrade either. If you have a smart phone it should have a free GPS on it, at least mine does. Try the app: aroundme.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fish on, They do make non smart phones... prepay ones... Thats what I use.
It still tracks your movements, but mine atleast, doesnt even have a camera which is nice.

I mean you guys read the news at all? See anything about the NSA spying on every single american through their cell phones? I mean yea they only got the court orders for verizon, but how naive you would you have to be to think it was just verizon that got court ordered to hand over every single call record.

I dont mean to de-rail the thread, but this is serious information you guys need to see...

So this broke 2 days ago... Then look forward to yesterday/todays news... NSA spying on the traffic on 9 major internet websites, including AOL, Google, Yahoo, Youtube, Skype, Microsoft, and others.
U.S. intelligence mining data from nine U.S. Internet companies in broad secret program - The Washington Post

Both links are from Major news companies, so dont start calling me crazy for linking this information, it is right there plain as day...

I just dont get how no body cares?

OH yeah. Today is also the 64th anniversary of "1984"'s release. Irony at its greatest eh?
Anyways, HH...

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to take a bunch of road trips. What worked best for me was to use Google Maps and pre-plan the trip to each bank exactly how I expected to run it. I'd write down the name of the bank and the address, sorted by city, in the order that it would make the most sense to run time-wise. After visiting a bank, I'd just punch in the next address into the ol' GPS and off down the road I went. By pre-planning the trip before I left the house, I didn't have to waste any time on the road deciding on/looking for the next bank and therefore could, at least theoretically, get to more banks during the day before closing time.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fish on, They do make non smart phones... prepay ones... Thats what I use.
It still tracks your movements, but mine atleast, doesnt even have a camera which is nice.

I mean you guys read the news at all? See anything about the NSA spying on every single american through their cell phones? I mean yea they only got the court orders for verizon, but how naive you would you have to be to think it was just verizon that got court ordered to hand over every single call record.

I dont mean to de-rail the thread, but this is serious information you guys need to see...

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uw7rDof1E8

So this broke 2 days ago... Then look forward to yesterday/todays news... NSA spying on the traffic on 9 major internet websites, including AOL, Google, Yahoo, Youtube, Skype, Microsoft, and others.
U.S. intelligence mining data from nine U.S. Internet companies in broad secret program - The Washington Post

Both links are from Major news companies, so dont start calling me crazy for linking this information, it is right there plain as day...

I just dont get how no body cares?

OH yeah. Today is also the 64th anniversary of "1984"'s release. Irony at its greatest eh?
Anyways, HH...

It's absolutely appalling that so many people are ok with this- all for our protection and to catch terrorist? Bullhonkey- we are in deep doodoo-

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for an app- someone recommended "near me" which is awesome for everything not just CRHing- movies, restaurants, banks, hotels, coffee, gas stations etc. its great I use it everyday

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread