Its happening, people are going to ruin a perfectly good bank

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's happening, people are going to ruin a perfectly good bank

A bank local to me, the ONLY one I've found that will sell me bags. I've been going to them for about a year now.

They mentioned they'd order me halves a few months ago so I said why not, and bought halves along with bags of pennies nickels and dimes.

Well, I went this week and had good luck with the boxes so I came back and asked for any more boxes or rolls from that shipment, and they said they were out. And that they had FOURTEEN more on order, including mine.

In particular, these awesome tellers who have been so nice to me, mentioned that someone walked in that week and ordered SIX BOXES. Just walk in and order 3k worth of halves.

That branch is not going to keep doing that kind of thing. I'm getting pretty frustrated here, that my bag source might be cut off because of idiots.

:BangHead:

Upvote 0

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
That does suck. If you can afford to buy that many - great. But it's better to be more covert about it.

You at least have built up and maintained a very good rapport with your tellers, which is key. As long as you don't abuse your relationship they should still support you even if they start cutting off everyone else.

Just hope that those other hunters don't further pee in the pot by dumping all of their rejects at that same branch. That'll put an end to things really fast.

OP
OP
GlenDronach

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly. I'm hoping they're at least seasoned enough to dump elsewhere...not to mention I've got my name on that bag of halves that isn't filled up yet!!!

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered 10 boxes of pennies at one time from my bank, and felt awful afterward because I really didn't think about it beforehand. I definitely won't do that again. Right now I'm ordering 1 box a week from the same bank, and every week when I pick up my new box, I trade them a box of my hand-rolled zinc pennies for another new brinks box, that way they don't have to give up a box from their stock.

They were really cool about the 10 boxes, but like I said, I know better now and will never do that again!

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why cant/dont the bank just say we have a .max of 2 or 4 boxes per week per customer? At some point its on the banks for allowing themselves to be taken advantage

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you really believe that when a hunter walks into a bank to ask if they can order halves that he/she should find out first if they are already ordering for other customers?

Adamkir

Aug 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Some ignoramus goes MSUFCU (Michigan State University Fed. Cre. Union) and buys halfs 2-3 boxes. He sits in front of the bank for an hour or more and opens them all them proceeds to walk back in goes over to the Coin Counter that uses the 2 large roll around container system. He then dumps them right back in. ARE YOU KIDDING ME YOU JACKWAGON! Know that I think you are a blister on the heel of humanity. . You greedy slimeball you make me see red like the equal dirt baggish guy below.

Attachments

• 2013-06-07 16.04.07.png
    2013-06-07 16.04.07.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 850

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CRHer you mention sounds like a tool. How that is related to Michael Moore, I have no idea? I do not agree with everything Mr. Moore says but at least he is conscious and speaks his mind.

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
ARE YOU KIDDING ME YOU JACKWAGON!

Haha. LOL. Haven't heard jackwagon in a while. Though I met one yesterday when I asked for loose halves. Old man in his 70s blurts, "Why do you want halves - because you're looking for silver!!!" I looked at the teller like "here we go with old man crazy" and soothingly said to him that I fill albums with my nephew with all the years (I do actually do that). I caught up with grandpa jackwagon and asked if he had any silver he wanted to sell me. Shoulda seen the pissed off look on his face.

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Haha. LOL. Haven't heard jackwagon in a while. Though I met one yesterday when I asked for loose halves. Old man in his 70s blurts, "Why do you want halves - because you're looking for silver!!!" I looked at the teller like "here we go with old man crazy" and soothingly said to him that I fill albums with my nephew with all the years (I do actually do that). I caught up with grandpa jackwagon and asked if he had any silver he wanted to sell me. Shoulda seen the pissed off look on his face.

That old man is the kind of jackwagon that just needs to shut the F--- up and mind his own business!

OP
OP
GlenDronach

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you really believe that when a hunter walks into a bank to ask if they can order halves that he/she should find out first if they are already ordering for other customers?

Nothing wrong with ordering coins from a bank. But I got bags from that bank for 8 MONTHS and brought treats and knew tellers by name before I went and asked for boxes. SOmeone walks in off the street, orders 6 boxes. It used to be I was one of only one or two halves orders at that bank. When a bank suddenly sees double digit orders for a defunct coin, and their vault is filled with that nonsense, you bet management's going to say enough is enough. This hobby takes some patience and tact. And someone's going to shut us all out of it because they're greedy and impolite. They actually complimented me about how understanding I am when they forget to order something for me- the other people YELL at them and complain...when they don't get their free orders of coins. I've politely hinted that they stop ordering them for the jerks.

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
......SOmeone walks in off the street, orders 6 boxes.......

No one walks into a bank cold and "orders" anything. They ask. Then it is up to the bank to say yes or no. Your anger really stems from the fact that your "steady girl" that you wined and dined will put out for anyone off the street.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the posters that are saying that it is totally the banks choice to order as much and for whoever they want. I am always polite to tellers, never get pushy, and always tell them that I want them to order whatever whenever is convenient for them. With that being said, I don't care who else is ordering at these banks. I also don't care if it upsets those other hunters. I'm relatively new to this hobby and I agree that relationships with tellers are important, but the people that think they are special or entitled because they have been doing this for a longer period of time need to get over themselves. Buying tellers treats and getting to know them is all well and good, but ordering coin is a service/favor that they provide to customers regardless of said treats/relationships.

OP
OP
GlenDronach

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one walks into a bank cold and "orders" anything. They ask. Then it is up to the bank to say yes or no. Your anger really stems from the fact that your "steady girl" that you wined and dined will put out for anyone off the street.

I have absolutely no problem with other people getting coins. I have no problem with people getting more coins than me. I'm not about to think that I'm the only person out there doing this, because I've met some and seen the marks. I also don't expect that I'm the only person doing this at the banks I'm doing this at. People constantly ordering heavy amounts without testing the waters, or spiking the bank's orders are just going to end up putting more and more stress on that bank and they're going to cut everyone off. If they spread it out and kept it lower key and polite, then it would work well and longer for all of us.

It happened at another bank I was ordering coins from. I ordered the occasional 1-2 boxes of halves along with my dimes, and they said they had to pull the plug after one guy came in and started ordering 8 boxes at a time. A greedy inconsiderate person came in, wore out their welcome, and screwed it up for everyone else as well as themselves.

As a matter of fact, with that bag bank, they mentioned that there was a guy that came in weekly for a bag of pennies. Whenever I picked up bags, I said to make sure to leave a bag of pennies for that guy because I wanted to be polite and share the bank and keep everyone happy.

Really, I'm feeling like Walt here.

"Am I the only one around here who gives a f*** about the rules?"
4f6d4820774c2.image.jpg

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I've been seeing the effects of Region's Bank being overloaded until they started charging a fee at all the local branches of 5 dollars to pick up or dump. They were my best pick up bank and used to order me 2 boxes a week of everything without me even having to ask, they just tried to have enough on hand to keep me happy. I was the only one getting boxes from their branch for the last two years. Just before the fee letter came out someone called them from the next town up and said they would be right down when she told them that she had a box there, she really had 3. I got one that day and then went back the next to get the other one before the guy did come down but then he never did come so she sold it to me a few days after. Since the fees started I have only been getting halves from them, nickels and dimes just wouldn't pay with what I average. I think that with the fees now, others have started using the branch for dumps in small amounts of under 300 to avoid the dumping boxes charge. I didn't order any from them this week but when my other Bank forgot to order my regular boxes, 1 of each, for me, I called and asked the VT if she had any half boxes and she said that the other teller told her to order 1 box in case I called looking. I have been on a skunk streak of 4 or 5 weeks now but that is about normal.

I hear tellers talking about people looking for silver all the time any more. I was dumping 400 dimes and 300 in halves when a girl at the counter yells over, "any of them silver?" I was like "huh? I don't know" The teller taking care of me said, "You don't do that anyway, right? Your making up sets." I said, "yeah and errors" and let big mouth talk to the side of my head. She was going on about how if I had silver she would buy it all from me. When we got out I told my wife, I wish I had told her about how there were a whole bunch of them Mercury dimes in the 400 but I don't collect them. Besides all of the new people getting into CRH, so many people are just so stupid that there really is no hope of them doing the right thing. That's what the Fluoride in the water is supposed to do.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went into a TD branch where I dump coins from time to time. The tellers there are nice but I do get the vibe that they are not into a lot of bag changes on the coin counter, so I keep the halves dumping to a low volume there. Anyway, they tell me that this guy came in to dump $650 in halves. TD penny arcades in my area only have $100 bags for halves. Not only does this guy make them do 6 or more bag changes, he keeps dumping coins quickly even when they are trying to change the bag and asks them to hurry up because he was running out of time on his parking meter! Another example of clueless people who will ruin this hobby for all of us.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats there job I do $1000 to $3000 but I help them I open the bags I push the button and some times we carry the bags to the holding area for them. Some of my banks now have there counters set on $500. And if they don't want to let me bring in bags well screw them. I let the fat lazy slugs get on there knees changing the bags for 20 min.... Most are nice and help us all the time.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always offer to bring the bags of coins to the holding area, most tellers say no thanks, but some take up the offer and really appreciate me not making them do the heavy lifting, especially the women.
It can't hurt to ask if you can help them carry the bags, afterall, it only looks better on your part too.

Thats there job I do $1000 to $3000 but I help them I open the bags I push the button and some times we carry the bags to the holding area for them. Some of my banks now have there counters set on $500. And if they don't want to let me bring in bags well screw them. I let the fat lazy slugs get on there knees changing the bags for 20 min.... Most are nice and help us all the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread