1970-S Half Dollar

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Found a 1970-S half this week. Was out in the midwest and stopped by a small bank in a small town. I asked for halves, she said they had $500, how many would I like? I said $100. Normally I'd buy them all but I'm traveling for work and don't have a bank account for 1,000 miles in any direction so I didn't really have a plan for how to get rid of them. She heads into the vault and grabs a canvas bag with $500 in halves in there. She dumps some out on the counter and starts to count out $100. I notice 1 or 2 40%'ers in there, but nothing crazy. We're small talking and she says "are you sure you don't want $200 worth?" I say sure. So we're talking and counting and stacking and asks what I want them for. I say I bring them home and look through them with the family and we looks for certain dates for the collection. She asks, do you want to look through the rest of the bag for any old ones? Uh, yeah, that'd be great. She dumps the other $300 onto the counter and we pick the old ones out (she proceeds to tell me that you can tell the difference by the color of the rim and by the sound they make). I pick a total of 12 more 40's out of the pile. All totaled I got a single '64, 20 65-69's and the 1970-S in really nice shape. Also had 2 NIFC's in the bag. Picked up 5 other 40's and another '64 on the rest of the trip. Overall a very good score for me and was super excited about the 1970-S. It's my first 1970 and my first silver proof.

Also found a pile of prehistoric artifacts searching fields before the CRH adventure. I good day for me.

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's so cool that she just let you pick through right there-

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If only it was this easy every time!

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Gotta love the friendly folks out in the midwest. You'll never find a teller like that here in NJ.

Congrats!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin_collection.gif
Outstanding Twitch.

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
Found the "70-S well before I found my "70-D. Congrats on joining the club!

Rascal

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Thanks everyone, it was pretty cool. I kind of felt bad but I told her about 5 times she didn't have to count them out and she said oh no, don't worry about it. She also told how long it took to fill the bag up so that I "could come back when the next bag is full".

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow what a sweet post, sounds like a dream i once had...

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you got to pick them out!!!! That is so awesome!! Congrats on the easiest silver ever... haha

HH

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Wow you got to pick them out!!!! That is so awesome!! Congrats on the easiest silver ever... haha

HH

The '70-S was the 2nd to last one I picked out of the bag. I played it cool. Chucked it into my bag and did the happy dance, but only on the inside. I'm telling you guys I felt bad but I think she was having as much fun (almost) as I was.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool. Reminds me of a time I went to a CU & asked for halves. Teller says "I have about $200 worth- looking for the silver ones?" I dumbly say "ya". "Hang on a sec & I'll get the silver ones for you" - comes back 5 mins later. "There were just 3 in the bag, $1.50, please."
Kinda took the thrill of the hunt out of it, but no dumping required.

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
Guy must have asked for pre 1965 half dollars that's why the tella volunteered to give him the old ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions