Traded some 40% halfs would you have done this?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As with any deal, if you're happy, then it was a good deal...regardless of what was swapped.

In essence, you paid ~115% of melt for some silver dollars. That doesn't seem outrageous at all to me. I'd probably swap a few at that price myself.

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are in it for as much silver as you can get than its not such a good deal but if you like older coins that always carry a premium over melt value (most of the time) than you made the right choice..ITs really not a huge difference..look at the numbers below:

1 dollar morgan/peace = $16.76 in melt value and is 0.7734 troy ounces

6 40% halves = $19.23 melt value and is 0.8874 troy ounces

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO, very good deal. I would magnet test prior to buying those, but I would do the same deal too.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering the fact that if there was a silver shortage many refineries will prioritize 90%'ers because it costs more to refine 40%'ers.....

OP
OP
C

cleeent

Greenie
May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I was happy because Morgan's and peace dollars are my favorite but you usually pay a premium well over spot for them. I love paying .50 for the 40%ers but always prefer 90%. Old dollars are a premium in my book. Thanks for the input.

OP
OP
C

cleeent

Greenie
May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By no means was this a "steal" but I bet very few people would turn down this trade. It's from a legit jewelry store so I wasn't worried about fake stuff.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great deal IMO a Morgan or peace go for around $30 around here so in essence you got $5 for your 40%ers- wish I could find that deal I'd do it in a heartbeat

OP
OP
C

cleeent

Greenie
May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I'm able to buy these at around $19 each cash price. He's a good friend of mine and has a huge inventory. Always the "who you know" I know melt value is a bit off but Morgan's sell for a minimum of $28-30 on eBay. Works for me.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good buy you made. I would do it. I'd trade my ugliest 40's.

OP
OP
C

cleeent

Greenie
May 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few of mine had holes. All in all a good trade

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions