2013-06-09 20.37.27-1.jpg

Upvote 0

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
some have a few errors like honest abe missing a finger I think, hold on to them since 09 mintages were low, and if'n the cent is ever discointued, well, lincoln fans will pay a premium dawg.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I beg to differ, if you go through over $100 in cents at a time on a coin sorter, you'll find 5 of these usually, which is pretty low. My policy is don't waste time looking for them, but if you find one keep it.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not sure what this penny is worth. I hope you enjoy and have a lot of fun with your new found hobby however judging from all your posts i'm getting the vibe that you are a hope to get rich quick coin roll hunter. I could be wrong but post after post asking if coins have value makes it seem that is all you are trying to do. I will save you time and tell you it is a hobby, and you will not got rich quick or at all for that matter. Stories you hear of people finding pennies worth tens of thousands of dollars are few and far between. Those hunters also look threw thousands and thousands of dollars of pennies. Good luck with your hunting and just try to have fun and maybe you will make a little spending cash. HH

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I beg to differ, if you go through over $100 in cents at a time on a coin sorter, you'll find 5 of these usually, which is pretty low. My policy is don't waste time looking for them, but if you find one keep it.

Total mintage for circulating 2009 US penny: 2.3 BILLION
If you divide it in to the 4 designs +/- Denver mint mark: 129 million to 376 million

It is unlikely that these coins will be worth anything more than 1 cent in the next few decades, if you consider the numismatic value of US coins 20-30 years old with mintage >100 million and in circulated condition. (error coins are different as they generally have very low mintages)
What would happen if and when the US stops making one cent coins? I think we will get a good look by following values for Canadian one cent coins over the next few years.

As always it is supply and demand!
How much of the billions of 1 cents coins minted will the RCM succeed in redeeming and destroying?
What will collector demand be like?

OP
OP
angifogg

angifogg

Apr 24, 2007
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not really trying to get rich quick, I just like to get other opinions from Treasurenet members, they have been very helpful in the past :)

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
not sure what this penny is worth. I hope you enjoy and have a lot of fun with your new found hobby however judging from all your posts i'm getting the vibe that you are a hope to get rich quick coin roll hunter. I could be wrong but post after post asking if coins have value makes it seem that is all you are trying to do. I will save you time and tell you it is a hobby, and you will not got rich quick or at all for that matter. Stories you hear of people finding pennies worth tens of thousands of dollars are few and far between. Those hunters also look threw thousands and thousands of dollars of pennies. Good luck with your hunting and just try to have fun and maybe you will make a little spending cash. HH

I don't see too much problem in these posts. If I didn't know if something had any value, I would ask too. I would not want to tie up money in coins just worth face and are not interesting in any way.

Also, for me, I keep anything that I can explain why I would want to keep it. If there is no explanation, it gets dumped. If I find a reason to keep it, then it will be come a keeper. I think this is a great mentality for collecting, and the OP can take my advice. If he/she wants to keep 2009s, and has a reason, go for it.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone neglected to mention the extra finger variety which i think is most certainly worth keeping as its relatively new and undocumented. I would get a loupe and check the reverse for the extra finger, its technically a double die and as far as new double dies created with the single squeeze hubbing system goes this one shows a good spread. Maybe not worth much today but I think this variety has a good outlook and is certainly worth a look.

There are many different types but this one is the most dramatic........

2009$201c$20FY$20WDDR-043$20$281$29$20150$20dpi$20$28extra$20fingers$29.jpg

grlangfitt

Mar 29, 2013
Powhatan, Va
Detector(s) used
BH 505
AT Pro
Pro PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is worth 1 cent in the stores. Cost more to make them than what they are worth.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
o no nota don't even think of saving any there worth less. If you have money to tie up buy silver.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Everyone neglected to mention the extra finger variety which i think is most certainly worth keeping as its relatively new and undocumented. I would get a loupe and check the reverse for the extra finger, its technically a double die and as far as new double dies created with the single squeeze hubbing system goes this one shows a good spread. Maybe not worth much today but I think this variety has a good outlook and is certainly worth a look.

There are many different types but this one is the most dramatic........

2009$201c$20FY$20WDDR-043$20$281$29$20150$20dpi$20$28extra$20fingers$29.jpg

I didn't neglect no nothing, I read all of the Ike-man's post, he should read all of mine:

have a few errors like honest abe missing a finger

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't neglect no nothing, I read all of the Ike-man's post, he should read all of mine:

LOL sorry man just misunderstood you, technically its an extra finger not missing but i get you now.......:sign12:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread