Was CRH better 5 years ago? This is what I found:

Mkelly315

May 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I randomly stopped by a credit union today and asked for a box of dimes. The teller said that they don't really get many people asking for boxes but she went to ask. She came back and said we have a bunch of boxes that were sitting in the vault for a while. I asked If I can have 2 and she said yes. Upon inspection I found that box boxes were from Garda (The boxes with the holes in it) and they were inspected in 2008! Time capsule in a box of coins! This was my chance to find out if CRH was better 5 years ago before I started doing it.

Box 1: 2 Merc Dimes, 1944 and 1939

Box 2: 2 Roosies, both 1964

Now I know that 2 boxes is hardly enough to base an average on, but in todays world of CRH I usually average 1 a box. My 2008 boxes were 2 per box. These boxes didn't have any 2009's, 10's, 11's, 12's, or 13's to invade the rolls!

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin_collection.gif
Nice finds Mkelly.

izer54

May 9, 2013
Illinois
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great score. Most CU in my area will not sell coin boxes at all. Even if you're a member. If I were you I would start mining that vault with halves, quarters and of course dimes and milk that silver dry!!!!!

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes 5 yrs ago not as many people were CRHing and as you stated those years that aren't in circulation in those boxes- I'd definitely go back and get all you can all denominations

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
maybe offer to bring some boxes from another bank to replenish their supply. they will need SOME coins, so that might help you get them.

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome. I got two of those holed boxes a couple of months ago. I think mine were from 2009 but it didn't help my average any lol. I would definitely go buy a bunch of boxes and trade them. They should be fine with it. Best of luck.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats. Dimes are as good now as they were five years ago. In fact, they're as good now as they were 30 years ago.

smitty58d

Feb 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get brinks boxes and after searching them I trade them for loomis rolls I have to break open. This way I move twice as much coin and can use my loomis banks as dump banks without making them mad since they get untampered rolls.

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get brinks boxes and after searching them I trade them for loomis rolls I have to break open. This way I move twice as much coin and can use my loomis banks as dump banks without making them mad since they get untampered rolls.

I tried that plan a few months ago but when I got up to the counter of my bank I got rejected. I couldn't believe it. I tried to show them how there is almost no way that i could have wrapped them like that but I still had to go break open two boxes worth over the coin machine. They told me that they had never seen roles like that. I'm sure they might not have but still... I'm glad it works for some of us though at least. HH

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Half dollars were way better 5 years ago. Back then I averages 2 silver a box. Now i average 1 silver every 6 boxes excluding my current 25 box skunk streak.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Half dollars were way better 5 years ago. Back then I averages 2 silver a box. Now i average 1 silver every 6 boxes excluding my current 25 box skunk streak.

Keep in mind this average includes all 5 years so my finds per box have exponentially decreased since 2008.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread