ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not quite old enough to tell you exactly when, but it was gone by the early 1970's.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It dryed up pretty fast? I would say 1 year its hard to remember that far back I was 8.

Golden Eagle

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm considerably younger, but there's an article in The Numismatist this month that suggested it was only about a year. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Joshr29

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Just one year. Thanks for the info guys. I know it would have been easy to research on my own but i was just trying to get a feel for it from someone who was there. There are probably a bunch of 60 year olds that daily kick themselves for not doing it. All of my family old enough to know has already passed away so I didn't really have anyone to ask. My wife's dad has a HUGE pile but he did all of his hoarding in 64 before you had to hunt for it. Now that I think of that, he probably has a bunch of coins worth more than there silver content. A couple of dime rolls that he has are uncirculated 64's. Thanks again everyone! HH

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked my grandfather this question back in the late 1970's. He started collecting in 1958. He said that by 1968, most of the silver was gone. It happened pretty fast.

Scott

OP
OP
Joshr29

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured it happened pretty fast but it seems like it was quicker than I thought. I bet those first few years were pretty tough on the mint. Serves them right I guess for sticking us with clad coinage.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember a few folks with jars of mercs and so on in the mid-70's. Probably a lot was sold during the craze in '79-'80.
I would assume only a small portion of citizens would have hoarded silver back then. I know my family did not. Keep in mind a very small percent of the population today even hold PM's, they say right around 1 - 3%.

OP
OP
Joshr29

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember a few folks with jars of mercs and so on in the mid-70's. Probably a lot was sold during the craze in '79-'80.
I would assume only a small portion of citizens would have hoarded silver back then. I know my family did not. Keep in mind a very small percent of the population today even hold PM's, they say right around 1 - 3%.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I wasn't born until 82. What went on in 79 and 80? I'm guessing that silver shot way up?

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 85, silver went to 50$...

Hunt brothers if memory serves correctly.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
In the early 1970's the Hunt brothers, oil tycoons, began accumulating large amounts of silver, and by 1979 had silver holdings of almost 100 million ounces. Silver hit $50 an oz in 1980, an collapsed to below $11 two months later, sending the Hunts into bankruptcy.

Rushfan

Aug 18, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Wait...didn't they try to corner the market on frozen orange juice? I thought I saw a documentary on that featuring Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd....

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked this same question a few months back; when wondering if homes built in the mid to late 60s would hold much or any silver . In their yards . I asked under Gen Diss. and got some very cool stories & reply's Check it out if you can ..Davers

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joshr29

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked this same question a few months back; when wondering if homes built in the mid to late 60s would hold much or any silver . In their yards . I asked under Gen Diss. and got some very cool stories & reply's Check it out if you can ..Davers

Thanks Davers for the info. I'm about to go check it out now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions