CoinStar Surfing Log...

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BOOM!!! And there you have it. The ground is solid as a rock today here in Downeast Maine. Regardless, I went out anyway to see if I could find something. I went up to a spot where I found an iron wagon wheel before the frost set in and found the hub (no metal detector involved). From there I went over to a spot I found a milk bottle a while back and found two "old school" Esso oil cans in really great shape (both sitting on top of the leafs). Then on the way home, I had to stop at at the local Walmart. First thing I checked was the Coinstar. Again, BOOM!!! No silver or gold. No tokens or watches. But coins yes! 5 clads, 1 copper penny. Nothing older than that 62 penny. One dime though has some interesting mismarks on it which I need to look at closer. For me this is huge. Just the idea that people would walk away from the coins which get "spit" out by this machine is odd. The oil cans are pretty cool. I gotta learn how to post photos though. Great day for me anyway!

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week I found a lot of pesos and euros (along with some Czech coins)... I mean by the fistful. Took me 5 grabs to get out all the pesos. The euros were on a separate "visit". And also took a few handfuls to clean out.

Came away with about $3 in clad and a few Canadian.

I'm also going to keep a separate jar for the clad US coin that I find and tally up for the year. Buy something needed for the albums with it.

Oh, any ideas what to do with the pesos and euros?

image.jpg

OP
OP
vpnavy

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.:: 20th Recovery ::.
tn_coinstar_0020.jpg

Elizabeth II D G Regina - Canada - 10 Cents

Last edited:
OP
OP
vpnavy

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.:: 22nd Recovery ::.
tn_coinstar_0022.jpg

Lincoln Memorial Penny
2001, 1939 & 1974
1 Euro Cent
Roosevelt Dime
2004 P
Bermuda Elizabeth II - 25 Cents

Last edited:

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! Found my first S silver from a Coinstar the other day!

OP
OP
vpnavy

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.:: 23rd Recovery ::.
tn_coinstar_0023.jpg

Lincoln Memorial Penny

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good stuff vpnavy. :icon_thumleft: I have been finding more and more every week. The only thing that has changed is my mindset. I used to go "hoping" to find a coin or two, now I "expect" to find treasure in the reject tray.

OP
OP
vpnavy

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff vpnavy. :icon_thumleft: I have been finding more and more every week. The only thing that has changed is my mindset. I used to go "hoping" to find a coin or two, now I "expect" to find treasure in the reject tray.
metal_detector.gif
Dang - I thought it was just me! I still get excited if I find a penny. :laughing7: On a side note - I can't tell you how many look at me and smile while I am reaching into the hopper. I then feel the need to explain what I am doing! :laughing7: One time I had a lady ask if I needed some change! Yuppa - had to explain to her what I was doing - still not sure she believed me. :laughing7:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are these finds from one coinstar or many different coinstars in your area?

I found a 1952 nickel and a 43 steel penny in my local walmart yesterday. I check coinstars anytime i see one or am even close to one. I sometimes stop on my way home just to check one. I haven't made a log of my finds but I feel I have been pretty lucky. Probaby have found a few silver quarters, about a 10 silver dimes, a few war nickels and at least 3 steel cents. Plus a ton of clad that i usually save until i have enough to put back into coinstar, and buy an ebay gift card to buy some more silver coins.

OP
OP
vpnavy

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.:: 24th Recovery ::.
tn_coinstar_0024.jpg

Jefferson Nickel
10 Confœderatio Helvetica
Lincoln Memorial Penny
1981 & 1986

Last edited:

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
I've perfected Coinstar hunting. Most of the coins are buried far under the machines-- in the little gap between the machine bottom and the floor. They roll under there, so I used some scrap-wood to make myself an L-shaped rake, which can be slid under the machines to pull out the maximal number of coins. I wait until the end of every month for the coins to regenerate, and employ this method at my local supermarket to recover $4-$5. I've found silvers, plenty of foreign, and even a small 14K gold pendant one time. It's genius! Would recommend it at your local Coinstar so long as you don't live in MA.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vpnavy

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've perfected Coinstar hunting. Most of the coins are buried far under the machines-- in the little gap between the machine bottom and the floor...
metal_detector.gif
Honestly, I just don't have enough nerve to pull that off. I swear - millions of people look at me when I reach in to pull out a few coins as it is! :laughing7:

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
metal_detector.gif
Honestly, I just don't have enough nerve to pull that off. I swear - millions of people look at me when I reach in to pull out a few coins as it is! :laughing7:

I tend to be inconspicuous about it if I can. On certain machines, the payout is definitely worth the effort!

OP
OP
vpnavy

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to be inconspicuous about it if I can. On certain machines, the payout is definitely worth the effort!
metal_detector.gif
The only CoinStar I found that was in the corner and pretty much out of sight was the one in Florida. That was the one that I found all that Clad (pile of coins) and even picked up coins that fell on the floor. But again - it was out of sight. :laughing7: The other CoinStar's are in plain sight of the check out isles, etc.

OP
OP
vpnavy

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.:: 25th Recovery ::.
tn_coinstar_0025.jpg