Why waste our time opening rolls for profit when you can do THIS?

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Thought I've seen it all and then along comes this item on eBay:

"Factory Sealed Box of U.S. Pennies, Unsearched for Copper, Wheats, Indian Heads"
US $34.95 + $15.95 Expedited Shipping
(3 available / 6 sold)
Factory SEALED Box of U s Pennies Unsearched for Copper Wheats Indian Heads | eBay

All it is is a box picked up straight from the bank and posted online for almost $10 more. Amazing that they actually sold 6 of these boxes to unsuspecting people.

Upvote 0

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T

All it is is a box picked up straight from the bank and posted online for almost $10 more.

No, no: they are also throwing in 100 2012 pennies to sweeten the deal!

So you are getting not twenty-five but twenty-SIX dollars worth of coins for the price of $51!

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The saddest thing is, most of us who buy boxes would probably rather open them than sell them for an immediate 40%+ profit. Because we have the disease.

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've said it once and i'll say it again (sorry em and 50 i stole your saying) You can sell a penny for a dollar on ebay.

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anytime you see a silver merc on one end and an indian head on the other, RUN FOR THE HILLS PEOPLE!!

I wonder what this guy got for paying over 60 dollars for 3 penny rolls with indian/merc enders.. check it out here

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Anytime you see a silver merc on one end and an indian head on the other, RUN FOR THE HILLS PEOPLE!!

I wonder what this guy got for paying over 60 dollars for 3 penny rolls with indian/merc enders.. check it out here

Neutral Feedback:

iconNeu_16x16.gif
Each pack had 1 mercury, 2 barber & all pennies. Really? Never were opened?

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All I got to say is wow. Wish I would have thought about that.

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could see someone in canada buying it because its legal to melt our copper pennies there..... shipping might cost less than burning gas across the border and back

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
I could see someone in canada buying it because its legal to melt our copper pennies there..... shipping might cost less than burning gas across the border and back

you aint allowed to send more than 4 dollas in cents across the border I believe

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been down this route before. Had boxes up there for months for the same price and didn't sell any. I'm convinced it's a money laundering scheme, I mean think about it.

In all honesty it's not as lucrative as it looks. Remember ebay charges fees on your entire sale, not just your profit. The shipping is right on for flat rate, so that's a loss too since fees are also charged on it. Now we can consider $14.95 gross profit. Ebay + paypal fees on the product = about $4.43, and another $2.02 on shipping. His total profit per box is $3.47. His 6 sold was over a three month period. You do the math.

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It would be freakin' hilarious if the Merc ender turned out to be a 1916 D! I only get the opposite of those rolls. I only have 1 bank in my town and some BLEEP that banks there thinks its real funny to put 5 or 10 individual cents in his dime rolls. I told the bank manager about it (I wasn't trying to get my money back or being rude) but it never stopped. Heck, maybe I could turn that into a profitable little side business. By using five cents in every roll you'd make a 22.50 profit on every box! JK by the way. I think this guy is a lowlife!

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only $34.95 + $15.95 shipping??? That's a steal compared to what I saw last night. There was someone with penny boxes for sale for $44.95 (or so) + $14.95 shipping. Looked at his feedback and a week or so ago he sold one for $60 and some change.... :BangHead:

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The saddest thing is, most of us who buy boxes would probably rather open them than sell them for an immediate 40%+ profit. Because we have the disease.

I'm glad someone else recognizes this disease. Now if we could only get doctors to recognize it....

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are a lot of people selling sealed 500$ boxes of halves for 599.99$ and they are selling a bunch of them!

Cougar729

Apr 8, 2013
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was given a sealed box of 2009 cents last weekend, I checked eBay and saw where they were selling sealed boxes for profit so I threw it up and within 1 day had a 50 dollar opening bid, no more so far with 1 day left but there are 16 people watching.

For a $500 box of halves you would have to sell for almost $600 to cover the 10% eBay fee and PayPal fees plus shipping.

I suppose for folks that can't get access to boxes of halves its a way to get them, but its a huge fee.

Golden Eagle

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know you all will hate me, but I had a few 50 cent rolls up on ebay. Each sold pulling $1.50 profit over costs.

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Haha. And look at those "unsearched wrappers". He must soak them in tea and then put them in the dryer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread