What about Credit Unions

Graceful

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a credit union here in my town that I've been envious of the great interest rates it has. Well I just found out that though it's name makes you think only employees of one certain business can join, I can join too!
So of course I'm curious if this will be a new CRH vein for me!
What's been yalls experience with CUs?

Upvote 0

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None will order any boxes for me, mainly dump banks or CWR stops. Half boxes atleast... when I started CRHing, I had a very small CU ordering dimes for me, any amount I wanted.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure where you're at but here in UT a few roll order and a few wont- just go in and tell em you want to open an account and also set up a weekly coin order- then you'll know

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
My CU is my dump bank, and they are great. Have basically told me I can dump more and they are always super nice about it

BuyMyTreasure

Apr 23, 2013
MI
Primary Interest:
Other
Been with mine 30 years. They suck. They don't like coins. 5 percent to dump. Won't order coins. Will only take 5 rolls per day. They have a counter but won't sell me bags. I am slowly ending my account by withdrawing funds to buy coins elsewhere.

Called a different one down the road. They said lobby counter was free for members, went next day to open account, half way through the forms, they said 15k min for free, I got pissed and left.

Last edited:

jlk420

Apr 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My CU is my dump bank, and they are great. Have basically told me I can dump more and they are always super nice about it

Pretty much the same here. I asked mine about buying bags, etc. They said no, so guess where my dumps go...

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
My credit union is okay. Very friendly folks, but they don't hold a lot of coin rolls on hand. "Colleen" did, however, sell me partial coinLOKs of nickels and dimes - which I promptly searched through and then "deposited" the unwants at one of my dump banks. No charges to pick up or drop off coins there. Did find 1 Rosie and a bunch of pre-60 Jeffersons. Their half-dollar CWR's however, were obviously someone else's dump.

OP
OP
Graceful

Graceful

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm sounds like I will have to try and see! Thanks for sharing yalls experiences!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
They are great! One has a sweet coin counter - fast! - and the other takes $500 coinlok bag dumps and I get cash immediately.

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They vary just like banks but you will find credit unions do not have nearly as many fees and typically require smaller minimum balances. Credit unions are typically not for profit cooperatives while banks are for profit and gouge you with fees to feed investors.

OP
OP
Graceful

Graceful

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I just remembered to update this thread. I went to one of their branches with nicely re-rolled coins of mine and the teller said "I am sorry, we can't take rolled coins anymore because we have had a lot of them shorted, and we don't have a coin counter here. But you can take them to our main location, and use their coin counter." Soooo it doesn't look like I will be picking up any coins at this branch, and I definitely won't be able to dump there. I can possibly get coins at the main branch...and at least I CAN dump there.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the CU's i have seen have a main branch they pool their money too, but check those smaller branches also. Seems to be a great place if i want to pick up customer rolled coins since the main one i check here in Oklahoma doesn't order coins but deals only in receiving coins from customers. Some of them appreciate that i will pick up their excess coins so they don't have to ship off to their main location and saves them time, money and hassle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread