How to get coin bags

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
The only coin bags I have ever gotten is a 500$ bag of halves off a machine at my favorite pickup bank. However, any other bank I talke to has told me that they do cannot give me bagged coin from the feds or from machines. How do yall go about getting bagged dimes, cents, nickels, and quarters. Thanks for the help.

O yeah and I found my third v-nickel last week (1907). Still waiting for an 1800's V-nick

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only coin bags I have ever gotten is a 500$ bag of halves off a machine at my favorite pickup bank. However, any other bank I talke to has told me that they do cannot give me bagged coin from the feds or from machines. How do yall go about getting bagged dimes, cents, nickels, and quarters. Thanks for the help.

O yeah and I found my third v-nickel last week (1907). Still waiting for an 1800's V-nick

I havent been able to get bags either- keep getting told its because the machines arent 100% correct and there is always foreign that drops in so they dont want to short their customers; even thouhh boxes are short and contain foreign ALL the time-

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no trick that I know of to get a bank to sell you a bag off the machine. Either they will or they won't. All you can do is politely ask.

With that said, if you can talk directly to the person in charge of making that decision (vault teller/branch manager/whomever) you can increase your chances a bit. Generally speaking, I have found there are 2 main reasons they won't sell the bag: 1. They are afraid that after going to the time and trouble of selling you the bag that you will just search the coins and dump it right back into their machine. 2. They are afraid the bag will be short/full of tokens or foreign coins/etc. causing a big accounting problem when you return wanting the money you were shorted. If you can alleviate those 2 fears from the decision maker, you have a better chance of scoring the bag(s). Of course, after making these 2 promises, you must be true to your word. You cannot dump the coins back on them (nor should you even use a different branch of the same bank), and if you buy a bag that is horribly short, you eat the loss without complaining...regardless of the amount.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you talking about ordering bags, or buying bags from their inhouse coin machines?

Ordering, I cant get them ordered, but others can, all depends on the coin courier apparently.

Buying them, It all depends, some banks will, others wont... I always try to ask, but have only come across 2 that will sell them.

And most wont sell them from the machines, because of it maybe being innacurate, and people complaning etc. So they just dont want to deal with the possible hassle. Which I guess I cant blame them...

HH

Last edited:

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it depends on who you ask ( as far as ordering from the carrier) I just asked about ordering my halves in bags 2 weeks ago at one of my branches, the teller that orders my 4 boxes a week got me 2 boxes and 1 $1000.00 bag of halves last week, she said she just called the carrier and asked about it and they were able to ship them to her in $1000 bags, so I guess them calling and asking or already knowing is the key. Btw, last weeks bag only had a Magicians coin 2 proofs and a Balboa half in it, she ordered me another bag this week too, it comes in tomorrow. HH, Maverick.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey cool idea maverick... I might try that

Ya, if you lucky enough to get a good bag instead of it being dumped into the hopper at the carriers facility and being spread into several boxes, you could score big! I'm going to keep this order this way for a few more weeks and see what happens. This last bag was dated May 23rd 2013, so I know they have been sitting there for a month almost in there facility. HH, Maverick.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
A bag from a machine is different from a bag you order. Your post does not signify a difference between the two. A thread was made ask'n the difference between ordering bags/boxes and the general consensus was that it varied and my opinion was that you have the same exact odds unless you get an older bag.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
A bag from a machine is different from a bag you order. Your post does not signify a difference between the two. A thread was made ask'n the difference between ordering bags/boxes and the general consensus was that it varied and my opinion was that you have the same exact odds unless you get an older bag.

I'm not sure if you are responding to my post or not 50, if you are, he said the bank told him they couldn't get him bags off of the machine or from the fed, I simply told him how I get bags, his question was how do we get our bags, I simply told him how I got mine. HH, Maverick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions