4+ SOLID silver rolls! Half dollar find of a lifetime! (for me)

USA

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a brand new member, but long time lurker. For the last 1+ years I've really enjoyed reading about everyone's finds. I search about 4-6 boxes a week and find the same stuff everyone here normally finds. I average about 1 coin per box, have long skunk streaks but also find a 10+ silver box every now and then. But I never felt like I had anything to share. Until now...

So I just moved to a new town so I thought I'd stop by all the nearby banks and ask around for some halves. I wasn't having any luck. No one seemed to have any. Then I stopped by a credit union. There were 3 women working. I walked up and asked if they had any half dollars. She said she didn't, but one of the other women piped up "I do. I've got $45.50 in halves." Following the TNet credo I said "I'll take them all." At that point, all three women gathered around to count out that $5.50 loose halves and as soon as I saw them I knew they were silver. They started clanking them and asked me "Now what years are silver?" I was terrified they would learn the truth and keep them for themselves! So I did the only reasonable thing...I lied. I said "Everything 1964 and before is silver." Which is true...just not the whole truth :) They finally handed them to me with 4 customer wrapper rolls, I stuffed them in my pockets and hopped in my car. I was pumped to see that all 11 loose coins were 40% making it by far my best teller find ever (2 40%ers was my previous record). Then I opened the first roll and sure enough, an ender!! Poured them into my hand and sure enough, a SOLID SILVER ROLL!!! I called my bro (a fellow CRHer) and proceeded to freak out and open the last 3 rolls with the same result. My heart was racing, hands were shaking...it was AWESOME!! In total I scored 91 40% half dollars! More than I'd usually find in 6+ months of hunting! I doubt I'll ever do better, but that's just fine by me :)

IMG_20130524_151719.jpg

Upvote 0

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
its always the new people finding solid rolls :( ive been crhing for 2years and never found a solid roll

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dimes101-He's not new. Most aren't new. Most of the time, people just don't create an account until they have something really good to show.

USA, Congrats Man (or woman). Can I ask where you live? Lived? You don't have to give your address or anything but we'll all be curious what part of the USA you had success in. I'm curious what part you didn't have success at too.
OO

OP
OP
U

USA

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Owassokie - I will say that I was in Seattle doing about 6 boxes a week and was averaging about 0.3 silvers per box. Pickings were slim. Not ready to divulge my current locale, but Im still out west.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
How exciting for you, I know everyone on this forum would be shouting if they found what you did. See, there are still coins to be found out there!! I keep looking but no jumbo finds like you got.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
ok, I'm sickenly jealous of you!! LOL, congrats on the find and welcome to the Family.

sincerely, GarouLady

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet score! Now go sell em before they aren't worth anything! Lol

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Amazing. I'll be hunting the pacific northwest most of July. If I walk away with a handful of solid rolls I'll be happy.

Great find, welcome to the site.

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
HOLY COW!!!! SWEET! Like GarouLady, I'm sickeningly jealous of you, too. Welcome aboard!!!!

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go USA!!! Awesome score.

When you told the tellers about the silver halves, did they snipe any or were all their halves 40%?

izer54

May 9, 2013
Illinois
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score! I'm still waiting for my first solid roll as all my banks and CU in my area do not take CWR and everything is run through the sorters:(

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice score!!!

I too have said that about 40%ers.... "Nahh silver are 64 and older, this one is just shiny"

HH

OP
OP
U

USA

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. The tellers didn't snipe any, luckily. Probably since there weren't any 64's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread