Picked up 8 boxes, Teller made interesting comment.

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
So far it is really slow going. I found 3 - 40% kennedys in one box and 3 - 40% kennedys in the next. When I picked them up the teller said that the person from the armored car company said that there is "something" in each box. I asked her if that meant that they "seed" the boxes. She said that she thought so. Results so far seem to indicate that. I'll update as I go.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
Third box looks better: 23 - 40% kennedys.

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE SunRay X-1
8 Boxes ! Down boy, down ;D You are doing some serious
coinrolling. Wont be long before a NICE score. Im gonna step up
my weekly order to 4 boxes I think. Man this is an increasing addiction !!

Good luck on the rest. Happy searchin'

OP
OP
R

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
Went through two more of the 8 boxes and skunk. ???

I think the armored car company is on to what is going on now.

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
I dont think the armored truck drivers could do anything about it could they? I mean the boxes are sealed and they have no way of knowing.

Ohh.. one more thing... HOLY CRAP! 8 boxes? How do you get rid of that? and did they give you a forklift and put it on your truck?

T

TreasureTales

The mint rolls the coins that are in boxes. The armored car company has no say in what gets rolled. However, the armored car company gets paid for each delivery and the amount and/or weight of the delivery, so all these boxes being shipped around may be to their liking.

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE SunRay X-1
Does anyone know for sure who does the wrapping ? Ive been to the websites
of a few different Coin service companies, and they have pictures of their
work areas, with big machine tills , full of coin etc.

I was always under the assumption that the coin service companies ( wells fargo, brinks etc)
buy the coin from the Fed in gigantic bags of loose coin. Then they process them into
rolls and boxes etc. This would allow employee access to the coins, if they were allowed or
chose to do so. Im guessing that strict rules are in place at companies like this involving
money though. Who knows !!??

I do know that some boxes I have gotten were just ridiculous, like the silver "was" cherry picked
and went into one box. And how so many other boxes are complete skunks. It makes no
sense to me at all. Wish I knew the whole story ! Id love to be on the "good" side of whoever
fills those boxes up. haha.

I guess anything is possible though. I think the Coin services do the counting/rolling in their
own house though - but Ive been wrong many times before too :)

Happy searchin'

captain ahab

Jan 4, 2005
colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett
thank you ringding.

First you make me laugh... 8 boxes!!! HA HA HA I'm still rolling!!! :D
Then you help my girlfriend realize it could be worse than my current 4 box a month habit ;D

goodluck with the rest of the search and keep after it!

-eric

Frank C

Sep 9, 2005
N.W. Az.
Detector(s) used
Minelab P.I., Nokta vlf.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know CDC systems in NJ, NY and Ct do coin rolling. They are one of my customers we installed GPS in there Armored Trucks. I have been in the rolling rooms before and security is so tight you couldn't touch the coins. I do wish they would let me go through coins there.

DandyDon

Sep 22, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
All,

I currently have 4 boxes of Nickels that I just went through and will probably go though them again. Plan is to not only keep the keepers but to also fill in the Whitman books that I have for those other years too.

As for the halves, I'll more than likely switch back to boxes of those next week and plan to do at least a minimun of four boxes. Found that depending on which bank I go to, they seem to have different minimun dollars set for their orders, some will allow me to just buy $500.00 worth, others have the minimum set at $1000 per order.

As for moving up to the eight box limit, I don't have that much free cash laying around for that, will hold off on that for a while, who knows maybe when I retire.

Don

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
I'm assuming that the counting/rolling companies work on a last in/first out basis. this means that those boxes that were put away 20-30-40 years ago could still be on the bottom of the pile. Now here's the deal. If we all went and ordered 100 boxes would that be enough to get into those choise older boxes.

The best box I had (104 silvers) only had a couple 2001s in it. I had another box that the newest coin was 1996 but it was light on silver, I dream of a box that the newest coin is 1970. Or to get really carried away how about a box where the newest coin is 1920 or so.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I had a box a few months back where I could swear the rolls were seeded. There was one coin right in the middle of each roll.
Walkers, Bens, Proofs, 40%....I think it was my best box...when I found 4 Walkers, 2 Bens, 3 or 4 proofs, and a flock of 90% and 40% Kennedys.

The tellers at my bank have asked what I am looking for, and I have been straightforward, just saying "old coins", while emphasizing that I am not EVEN coming out ahead on this (nudge wink). I just tell them I find stuff occasionally, but that sometimes I get 3 or 4 boxes in a row where I find nothing. It is natural that they are curious, as I have been buying boxes from them for at least 6 months now.....

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe
goldinmypan said:
I'm assuming that the counting/rolling companies work on a last in/first out basis. this means that those boxes that were put away 20-30-40 years ago could still be on the bottom of the pile. Now here's the deal. If we all went and ordered 100 boxes would that be enough to get into those choise older boxes.

The best box I had (104 silvers) only had a couple 2001s in it. I had another box that the newest coin was 1996 but it was light on silver, I dream of a box that the newest coin is 1970. Or to get really carried away how about a box where the newest coin is 1920 or so.
I would be happy with one box that had only 1921D @ VG-8 = $350 per half x 1,000 =$350,000

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions