Stuck gold today!

Mkelly315

May 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*Struck*

My first gold find while CRH! Inside of the reject tray of the coin counter at my dump bank happened to be a couple chucky cheese tokens and this beauty:

It's a replica of a Turkish coin that women wear around their neck as a necklace. Gold though! $44 worth of scrap gold to be exact. My best find yet!

It's a replica of a Turkish coin that women wear around their neck as a necklace. Gold though! $44 worth of scrap gold to be exact. My best find yet!

Upvote 0

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure it's solid gold? How did you determine the karat of this piece? Looks fake to Me man...

OP
OP
M

Mkelly315

May 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure it's solid gold? How did you determine the karat of this piece? Looks fake to Me man...

I brought it to my LCS and he also does scrap gold. He showed me what it was in a book. He tested it with some kit and offered me $44. I sold it and bought $44 worth of 90% silver Quarters.

drcaulfield

Feb 22, 2013
your reject tray
Primary Interest:
Other
May I ask why you sold it and bought quarters. It would seem to me you took a hit on both sides if that deal since he is buying less than melt and selling for more than melt?

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May I ask why you sold it and bought quarters. It would seem to me you took a hit on both sides if that deal since he is buying less than melt and selling for more than melt?

I was thinking the same thing

just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly, I would have held onto it as a conversation piece.

OP
OP
M

Mkelly315

May 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What am I going to do with a Turkish pendant? I have been trying to fill my quarter tube with 90%ers. It was free to me! I don't mind losing a few dollars for what I'm looking for.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, but I would never trade gold for silver. Also, no one who buys scrap gold pays 100% of the gold value. There must be value beyond the gold. However, as long as you are happy, that is what matters.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it looks fake because: First, it's holed. Second, not all that glitters is gold.

If all I had was that pic, I would say its not real. Would you make an eBay purchase based on that photo?

So many gold colored Mardi gras style beads, and pennants. Or, perhaps fake marriage coins. That is what was going though my head.

If I had my test kit, blah blah blah, item in hand, then duh. I would assessed it as gold.

I'm not questing his story after that. Cool, got $44 from it, awesome, it was real!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread