Do you take time to fill in coin books?

Graceful

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soooo...with all these coins I am going thru now (though it much less than most of you!) I am wondering how good of a use of my time it would be to fill modern coin albums. I wouldn't worry with the old dates and varieties...at least not yet. But just like a 1938-2002 Jefferson Nickel folder...and things like that. What's your opinion of the resale/collector value for these types of filled (hopefully filled HAHA) books?

Upvote 0

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought about buying books and filling them but not sure if its a good fit for me, rather use that money to buy silver or something..For now ziplock bags with years written in permanent ink are my best friend.

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I thought about buying books and filling them but not sure if its a good fit for me, rather use that money to buy silver or something..For now ziplock bags with years written in permanent ink are my best friend.

I collect indian heads and I don't know whether I should get the Dansco, or just keep them in the 2X2s inside my portfolio with the rest of my collection. The album is so expensive...

Last edited:

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Soooo...with all these coins I am going thru now (though it much less than most of you!) I am wondering how good of a use of my time it would be to fill modern coin albums. I wouldn't worry with the old dates and varieties...at least not yet. But just like a 1938-2002 Jefferson Nickel folder...and things like that. What's your opinion of the resale/collector value for these types of filled (hopefully filled HAHA) books?

Oh, and personally as a collector, I really only like high grade coins. I can't stand VF and XF coins in my personal collection. I figure go big or go home so filling a book with circulated coins would be kind of a waste of time and effort. I would just keep them in a pile. That's what I do with all my wheats.

mr.landpirate

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I like to collect, I have books with my coin roll finds and a couple of hi grade books of IHC, lWC that I started with my dad and will pass to my boys. LP

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Dansco albums for pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters. Best album I have ever owned and totally worth the price imo.

mr.landpirate

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, but is it better than 2X2s?

For me yes, I use 2x2's for all my lesser keepers. Like when I up grade a coin in my book. Dansco books our worth the money IMHO. They display and store great and I really like the extra slip cover. LP.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I am using a Littleton album for my wheat cent collection. I think it's worth it if you're actually interested in collecting, and not melt value only.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fill books. When I'm not finding silver it's nice to find something to fill a hole in a book. When a teller asks why I get so many coins I can tell them that I'm a collector without lying.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To each his/her own. I fill modern cents books (and older cents books), but no other modern coins except halves. I do fill book/binders with pre-64 silver, even if not rare (quarters, dimes).

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I do is buy filled coin books at yardsales and then pop out the coins. when I get several empty books I list them on feeBay. they always sell. The books are usually vintage too because it is usually an adult selling dad's coin collection.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An organized coin collection is a sign of a sick mind.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
IMHO - if you want to display your finds - what better way then a coin book Graceful.

OP
OP
Graceful

Graceful

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies!
I do have a few coins books going, but I think I am going to start focusing on them more, and maybe getting more books to fill! I do really enjoy the thought of having complete and organized sets...even if it's not anything especially rare or valuable!

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't book my silver dimes and quarters, but I do do that for my best pre-'62 nickels and wheat cents. You can buy the green Littleton books for $3.49 each at Barnes & Noble. The book is acid-free/archival-safe, made in the USA, and conforms to the FSC guidelines for responsible paper resources. And did I mention that they were priced very inexpensively? And cheaply priced, too. :)

OP
OP
Graceful

Graceful

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I think that's what I'll do! I don't have nearlyyyy enough silver to try to make full sets of them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread