This may be a bit morbid, but here is a tip.

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
Over the last few months I have found a few small collections of coins. Tons of Wheaties that I trade at a LCS for some silver. There is about 7 banks within a very small area a few miles from my house. I try to go in as often as I can because I know it is heavily hunted by other people (perhaps a few of you on here) because tellers always tell me people come in asking for coins. I go in and ask for CWR all the time and every once in a while I will get a few rolls with over 50% old coins, nickels, pennies, dimes, and every once in a while half dollars.

What do all of these banks have in common? They are near a retirement home. I feel kind of weird hunting those banks because obviously I don't like....wish someone dead just so their family cashes in their coins and I get them. I hope it is just older people who don't care about the coins anymore and just want the money or something like that...

Anyway, those banks are my honey holes. I am not going to give out the name/area for obvious reasons...but if you have a retirement home in your area, try searching banks near it.

Upvote 0

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Over the last few months I have found a few small collections of coins. Tons of Wheaties that I trade at a LCS for some silver. There is about 7 banks within a very small area a few miles from my house. I try to go in as often as I can because I know it is heavily hunted by other people (perhaps a few of you on here) because tellers always tell me people come in asking for coins. I go in and ask for CWR all the time and every once in a while I will get a few rolls with over 50% old coins, nickels, pennies, dimes, and every once in a while half dollars.

What do all of these banks have in common? They are near a retirement home. I feel kind of weird hunting those banks because obviously I don't like....wish someone dead just so their family cashes in their coins and I get them. I hope it is just older people who don't care about the coins anymore and just want the money or something like that...

Anyway, those banks are my honey holes. I am not going to give out the name/area for obvious reasons...but if you have a retirement home in your area, try searching banks near it.

Hey man, I may seem like heartless person, but at the end of the day it's about coins and money for me.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin_collection.gif
Hey, many could be the end result of just cleaning up a pile of coins red.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't imagine most people taking the coins to a bank near the home. If I were in that position, I'd take them home to cash in at a bank near my own house. I suspect it is just people cashing in their money. If your finds are better than average though, go for it!

TheNotoriousA.G.

Apr 29, 2013
Detector(s) used
Hands & Ears
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found the opposite to be true. There's a huge retirement population about 15 miles from me (average median age is above 75 for about 8 banks in the area). Every bank I went into said that they have retirees coming in multiple times a day asking for loose coin to search through since they have nothing but free time. The tellers all spoke about them with disdain and they ALL knew about silver.

I prefer to hunt in "low information voter" areas instead.

Shay's here

May 1, 2013
California
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think its morbid, people do die and their families or friends have to do something with their stuff.

I was depositing bags last week and a newbie teller was curious about my coin collecting hobby. He then tells me that a regular customer had passed away and her son brought in a bunch of her "old" rolled coins the week prior and some were still in the back if I wanted them, um YES THANKS! He handed over 12 rolls of quarters and I excitedly tucked them away until I got home, turns out she had rolls of state quarters. A couple of rolls were uncirculated but no silver. Oh well, fun to dream for a few minutes.

OP
OP
red89

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found the opposite to be true. There's a huge retirement population about 15 miles from me (average median age is above 75 for about 8 banks in the area). Every bank I went into said that they have retirees coming in multiple times a day asking for loose coin to search through since they have nothing but free time. The tellers all spoke about them with disdain and they ALL knew about silver.

I prefer to hunt in "low information voter" areas instead.

The tellers at the banks I'm talking about asked why people would want coins all of the time, and I find a lot of silver coins there...I guess it just varies by area, but the 2 major retirement homes/communities near my house both have banks that produce silvers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread