Now get more than ice cream for your Silver! Get chicken and hamburgers too..

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warning to my coin roll hunting friends, A new sales pitch restaurant is in bartering mode (probably stole the idea from the ice cream man), bring your silver into Late’s Diner in Manitowoc, Wis and you will get your 'silvers worth' in food and lots of food you will get! Hold on to that silver but if you happen to get hungry and happen to be in WIS (fat chance), take a load off and enjoy a hamburger for a dime...

ScreenSnapz0031-620x467.jpg

"MANITOWOC, Wis. — It’s the home of many of the big red cranes you see on construction sites. And if you check the ice machine during your next hotel visit, you’ll likely see the name scrawled — along with a snowflake — on the front. It’s even the fictitious hometown of Julia Stiles’ character in the movie “The Prince and Me.” The town is Manitowoc, Wisconsin.

But the town of about 33,000 is also the home of Late’s, a small-town diner just a few hundred yards from Lake Michigan and still lined with a long, winding counter and spinning stools. And there, placed high on the south wall near the ceiling, the restaurant is trying something new to both attract customers and secure its future: It’s offering a huge discount if customers pay with silver change minted before 1965.

How big? How about a hamburger for 12 cents, or 10 of them for $1. Like fries? 10 cents. Chicken? 100 pieces for $4.55. And you better believe in a state where fish fries on Fridays are as common as Packers games on Sundays you can nab a Perch sandwich for 20 cents.

Ask anyone in town where the best burger is, and Late’s will likely top the list. The golden, butter toasted bun is a staple in the community, along with their deep-fried cheese curds. But despite the joint’s popularity, it’s not immune from the economy.

The town over the last decade has seen economic decline. The Mirro company plant — once a manufacturing leader of aluminum cookware in the town — has shuttered, and now sits like a dilapidated, sleeping brick giant surrounded by weeds and a chain-linked fence near the city’s downtown. One resident joked over the weekend that the area is hemorrhaging jobs. It was followed with a laugh — a nervous one.

ScreenSnapz0062-620x463.jpg

So maybe it should come as no surprise that one of the town’s staples is reacting to the economic downturn with a clever play that works as both a marketing campaign and a brilliant business move.

“With the value of the dollar going down, we think the price of silver – the value of silver – is going up,” Todd Tikalsky, the restaurant’s manager who’s been there for 27 years, told TheBlaze during an interview at the restaurant. Tikalsky, with his tennis shoes and a classic, white cooking apron, understands business: He has an accounting degree and moonlights as a tax preparer during the spring.

As an accountant, he and the restaurant’s owner, Karl Birkenstock, understand that silver change minted before 1965 is worth more than just its face value. That’s because the coins at that time were actually made with silver. The website Coinflation.com shows the current value of some such coins:

ScreenSnapz0041-620x609.jpg

And both the manager and the owner seem to understand the economic landscape — and the government’s “quantitative easing” polices, or money-printing.

“With the government printing money and all it’s – the more and more things printed out, the less that they’re worth,” Tikalsky said in a matter-of-fact, calming voice. “A Hank Aaron rookie baseball card: If there was only one or two of them, they’d be worth millions; if there are thousands of them, well, they’re not worth as much. And that’s basically what the government is doing, you know, printing out money and the values are going down.”

The sign went up about three months ago. So far, Tikalsky says they’ve made a “couple dozen” sales with the special.

“You know, it’s the older clientele that come in here,” he explained. “They think that’s pretty neat, you know, older coins.” He added later, “We get a lot of older clientele here in the morning who drink coffee for a couple hours at a time and that gave them something to talk about for a week or two.”

ScreenSnapz0052-620x463.jpg

Still, there’s one client who keeps taking advantage of it. And that’s okay with Tikalsky.

“There is one customer who comes in repeatedly and will continue to get it,” the manager smiles. “He thinks it’s funny, too. He’ll go ‘I have a whole bunch of silver coins at home. I’m gonna keep coming in.’ So, that’s fine.”

And while Tikalsky admits it started in part as a joke and a gimmick, he says there are no plans to take it down.

“If people keep coming in and are talking about it, it’ll stay up there,” he says.

And as long as the economy continues on its trend, he’ll have more than one reason to."

Source: The Fascinating Reason a Wis. Restaurant Gives Huge Discounts to Customers Who Pay With Coins Minted Before 1965 | TheBlaze.com

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
12 Cent Hamburgers at Late’s Diner in Manitowoc, Wis.,

You could get ripped though, You would need to give them at least 15 Cents in Silver & get your hamburger & 3 pennies back .

So that burger could cost you at least $2.50 :o

ScreenSnapz0031.jpg

Maybe not far to go to get your Silver :dontknow:

Untitledww.jpg

Last edited:

skip_a_loo

Apr 11, 2013
Newton, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Up Graded to...GTP at Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
in silver dimes you get pennies back in change..:)...........That an OLD place to eat, I hope it continues for along time...I remember going there in the late 60's - 70's - Lincoln High School we would walk there to EAT - LOADED with BUTTER! YUMMY!! YUMMY!!...Remmeber HENRY's in Manitowoc..that to was walking distance from school cheap burgers!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hmmm, would I save enough on the burgers to pay for my gas from Indy?

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Bet there is a CRHer somewhere who will go through $5000 worth of dimes just to buy a cheeseburger...

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's illegal, we tried this with gas our lawyer told us can't do it. something to do with tax's

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
10 hamburgers for FV $1.00. Right now that $1.00 is $14.16. Wow, you can go to BK and get 10 cheeseburgers for 11.40. That's 10 bucks plus tax. Save your silver for when the you-know-what hits the fan.

sincerely, GarouLady

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coffee's a bit high though. should be a silver war nickel at most.
is it at least a bottomless cup ?

& that soda ? May get you arrested in New York

ScreenSnapz0031.jpg

Last edited:

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's illegal, we tried this with gas our lawyer told us can't do it. something to do with tax's

I can't fathom how this could possibly be illegal. If a privately owned business is willing to swap food for silver (or anything else for that matter), I just don't see how it could possibly be against the law.

With that said, calculating the sales tax that the diner owes on the food that was swapped for silver could be very tricky.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't fathom how this could possibly be illegal. If a privately owned business is willing to swap food for silver (or anything else for that matter), I just don't see how it could possibly be against the law.

With that said, calculating the sales tax that the diner owes on the food that was swapped for silver could be very tricky.

It is illegal to NOT pay the fair sales tax. You can take a silver dime for a cup of joe, but you gotta pay the state, and Feds their share in USD. So, a silver dime is exchanged - to be on the level, you would need to fork over the tax as if it was bought for $2.00 dollars. Pretty easy concept.

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I don't see how it is illegal either. What if he gave the burgers away? It's up to the owner to pay the state taxes... What if someone traded him a camera or something for a burger. As long as its US silver coins all he needs to report is he sold it at face value of the coin...cause that's what it is worth to the government.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see how it is illegal either. What if he gave the burgers away? It's up to the owner to pay the state taxes... What if someone traded him a camera or something for a burger. As long as its US silver coins all he needs to report is he sold it at face value of the coin...cause that's what it is worth to the government.

selling something for 2.00 and only charging tax like it was a 10 cent item will get you in trouble. No metal gymnastics can get you around that.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree, if you sPend $1 in 14 burgers, you should have to only pay state taxes of $0.06 on the first or whatever your state charges for tax.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure how that works But I believe the customer can only be charged
for the face Value of the coin tendered,
however if the Restaurant Owner sells the silver he must claim & pay taxes on the amount he got for it.

Again I'm just going by how I see it. since the silver coin is just face value,
till it is sold for more then face value.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
by 2 burgers for a silver quarter and get 1 cent in change .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions