beginners luck?

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
when I was younger I got halfs to go though occasionally. Lately I have been getting the collecting bug again and got a couple hundred bucks to go through. First $100 I bought had nothing. Then I got one at my bank. One roll turned up 2 90% and 2 40% I was hooked and went out and got $300 dollars more at my bank. (cleared them out) What do I see but a franklin half looking right out the end at me. So all said and done I got 22 coins out of $400. 2 1952 franklin halfs, 5 90% silver, 1 1999 proof and 14 40% silvers. I was pleased.

Then the next $500 had absolutly nothing!!!!!!!!............ Im learning quickly........I think I got someones sorted coins. I was reading your posts on here ..... and I didnt know what a "box" of halfs was. Well I know now! I bought 2. I also opened another account at a bank just to get them. Some banks are very accomodating and others not so much.
One bank I went to had not a single half.

I do have a question though. What do you think I should do with the 2000 dollars of sorted halfs I have? I have them in 2 buckets and man are they heavy! Any hints on that one?
Also.... do you think I should just stick with the boxes? I had great luck at my own bank just taking what they had. Any input would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
E

el_gral

ConGrats Man, same as you I used to collect coins when i was about 13 or 14 than I stopped, and now im getting into it again, hardcore and now with the coinrolls also. I cleaned out my bank of $770 worth of halves and found a total of 20 silvers, no franks though. What I did was I found out that the bank across the street from mine didnt carry any halves, so I designated it my "Dumping" bank, and i dumped all my sorted halves there. Hopefully i dont run across them again.

OP
OP
bigtime400

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
yeah Im really getting into it. I have big plans on getting some boxes ordered. My wife said I was like a little kid... and I have to admit... I wasn't that anxious and excited to do anything in a long time.

One question.... can anyone tell me if you find anything good in the bank bags? I would imagine most of them would be already taken out.

OP
OP
bigtime400

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
I started an account at one bank. I have my own bank that has like 10 branches in the area and I have the bank that my mortgage is through. If I have to go there to pay for my mortgage does that count and an account?? I wonder how many people make their house payments in half dollars. :-)

one question I had was generally do you get good yield out of the coins that people bring in and they count and put in the bags? I would think not but sounds like some have luck with that.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one question I had was generally do you get good yield out of the coins that people bring in and they count and put in the bags? I would think not but sounds like some have luck with that.

First off, I will say I have had far better luck with bags from coin counting machines, but that is just me. Basically your results will vary depending on who turned in half dollars to that bank and when. The last bag I bought the tellers said it had been on the coin machine for at least the past year slowly filling, maybe longer. when you find bags like that you know you are not likely to get someone else's searched halves since those bags fill up fast due to the large amount of rejects.

Second, the bags off of coin counting machines is where the coin rolling companies get the coins that fill the rolls after a couple of additional stops, so in theory your odds are equal with one minor note. If you happen to get really lucky and find a bag cointaining someone's cashed in half dollar collection you will do very well and usually get the whole collection instead of having the coin rolling company spreading it out amongst X number of boxes just by mixing it with bags from other sources.

Basically there are a lot of variables, the best way to find out is to try it at a few banks and determine which method works better for you in your part of the country.

If I have to go there to pay for my mortgage does that count and an account??
Ask the tellers in advance to make sure they won't try to charge you. I personally haven't tried it yet, but I was thinking about it. When I asked on the phone, they seemed to think it would be okay but told me to confirm at the branch first before putting the coins are put in the machine.

OP
OP
bigtime400

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
Thats very true. YOu can kinda eliminate the middle man but I know here they told me it was ok and that they have other people buying boxes as well..... so maybe ill stick with that. However I wonder if the smaller branch banks might be better..... who knows.... its really a crap shoot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread