They sent the little old lady home...

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Stopped at the bank to deposit a check and asked if they had any halves. Just a few bicentennials, but then the teller asked if I wanted any old bills. I said, sure, why not?

She pulls out a stack of 25 $1 silver certificates and 4 red seal $2.

She explained that the woman who cashed them in had other old coins including a 1922 Peace dollar but they had told her they were worth more than face value and wouldn't accept them. While I would have loved to have had those coins, I'm glad they did the right thing. Still pleased to add these to my collection including the nice star note.

Attachments

• silver certificates 7-2-2013 3-02-06 PM.jpg
    silver certificates 7-2-2013 3-02-06 PM.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 145
Upvote 0

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
I've scored a few silver certs in the past but never a red seal $2. Congrats man!

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Score!!!!!!!!! Id throw those up on da bay especially that star note

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice score! Some banks that i frequent also have the same policy of refusing collectible coins.

Shay's here

May 1, 2013
California
Primary Interest:
Other
I would go check any pawn shops close to the bank just in case little lady went to one to unload her silver. Maybe you will get lucky and it will be a non coin savvy pawn shop! I got really lucky a few weeks back and got 5 Morgan's for $24 each and 30 silver quarters for $3.50 each at a pawn shop.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice little score, congrats! I've only found 2 silver certificate $1 bills over the last 6 years as well as one red seal $2 Bill.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread