I want to know, why people pay for everyday transactions with a personal check

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
This is not related to CRH"n.

Although I feel this is a relevant place to ask this question, since we as CRH'ers deal with banking institutions on an almost daily basis. I have a dozen bank accounts, savings/checkings, and I never wrote a single check within the past few years (lest I was going to buy something big, in that case I'd probably use cash anyway). I want to know, why the hell people pay for things with checks. I got stuck behind some lady today at walmart, and she paid for her stuff with a check and wasted my time. And time is money.

Why would a person pay with checks? Some possibilities I can think of: 1. Bank Requires it 2. People who pay with checks don't know about debit cards 3. they have too much time to waste. Could someone please offer ol ' fiddy here a legitimate reasion why a person would need to use a check to pay for something as simple as a grocery transaction. I still am baffled by the sheer volume of people who use checks to buy things, and I still am baffled by the reason behin it.

Upvote 0

mr.landpirate

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The same reason those people still have a phone attached to the wall by a wire. We're old! Now get off my lawn!!

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't wrote a check in ten years.

OnARoll

Nov 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only time I need to write a check is when i'm broke...You float the check to buy groceries etc, the grocery store doesn't cash it for 4-5 days, you can even get up to 25 bucks cash back in hand too..You then have a small window of time to get money into your account to cover the soon inevitable check cashing..Its a gamble but you gotta do what you gotta do! Make sure your calculated about it if you ever do it, you do not want those bad check fees!! Now if you want to go real gansta you take the 25 dollars cash and buy lotto tickets or coin roll hunt with it till you strike silva!

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never wrote checks till the company I work for went to direct deposit, I still prefer cash, but checks are easier for me to keep track of how much I'm spending. I know...old school, but that's just how it is.

I know it's easy to get impatient when you are in the check out line behind some one writing one, but is that 60 seconds really gonna hurt you?:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread