$700 worth of Ikes

Shay's here

May 1, 2013
California
Primary Interest:
Other
$700 worth of Ike's

Hi all,

I picked up $400 of customer rolled Ike's at the bank and they have $300 more that I will pick up tomorrow. Went through the $400 which = 0 silver for me so highly doubtful I will find anything in the remaining I will pick up.
My dilemma is this, I see that there are a couple of collectable Ike's worth some cash on eBay but I am a silver hunter and not a coin collector. Do I go through the trouble of slowly picking through them on the off chance I have a Type 2 1972 or just bag em up and throw them back into the pond? Opinions?

Upvote 0

rpg25

Dec 9, 2012
Earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding is that some people on eBay are dumb enough to buy Ikes in lots at over face value (probably hoping to find silver). Separate into lots of $100 and list them. You will probably make $10 to $15 on each bath of $100 sold.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all,

I picked up $400 of customer rolled Ike's at the bank and they have $300 more that I will pick up tomorrow. Went through the $400 which = 0 silver for me so highly doubtful I will find anything in the remaining I will pick up.
My dilemma is this, I see that there are a couple of collectable Ike's worth some cash on eBay but I am a silver hunter and not a coin collector. Do I go through the trouble of slowly picking through them on the off chance I have a Type 2 1972 or just bag em up and throw them back into the pond? Opinions?

I would look for the Type 2s and the FEVs, and then sell them on eBay.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I usually sell them in lots of 25 or more and you can usually get twice the face value but then have to pay ebay fees. It is worth it in large lots. Good luck.

Golden Silver

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything thats worth keeping will be listed in the varieties section of the link below along with the diagnostics for determining them. Ikes can be worth quite a bit and are largely overlooked making them currently a hot spot for variety collectors, with an average AU type 2 selling for between $50 and $100 dollars on eBay.

The Ike Group | The Eisenhower Dollar information source

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A nice MS65 T2 is worth north of $1k. Skip em if you want, I'll take them.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better check 'em all! then sell 'em for above face. If I had a steady flow of ikes I would make some serious cash

OP
OP
Shay's here

Shay's here

May 1, 2013
California
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I will sort the piles, get the loupe out and see what I can see. Will let you know if anything interesting shows up :icon_thumright:

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A nice MS65 T2 is worth north of $1k. Skip em if you want, I'll take them.

Good point but with only 56 graded MS65 by pcgs its unlikely to find one, I searched for a long time before submitting to reality and buying mine.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I will sort the piles, get the loupe out and see what I can see. Will let you know if anything interesting shows up

If you come across anything you have questions about feel free to ask i'm sure I and many others will help you.

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything thats worth keeping will be listed in the varieties section of the link below along with the diagnostics for determining them. Ikes can be worth quite a bit and are largely overlooked making them currently a hot spot for variety collectors, with an average AU type 2 selling for between $50 and $100 dollars on eBay.

The Ike Group | The Eisenhower Dollar information source

I'm sorry, I enjoy a good type-variety as much as the next guy, but the extent to which this website takes things gives new meaning to the term "anal". :icon_scratch:

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry, I enjoy a good type-variety as much as the next guy, but the extent to which this website takes things gives new meaning to the term "anal".

Have you ever seen the list of VAMs for morgan dollars.....:BangHead: Actually it leaves some of the less common ones out for instance the Nightcrawler which is worth about a $1000 and the 1976 no S proof......

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point but with only 56 graded MS65 by pcgs its unlikely to find one, I searched for a long time before submitting to reality and buying mine.

I've pulled a few 64's that are off being graded right now. :) I think one has a shot at 65, we'll see. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread