Slowest dump ever; but got a small prize for the hassle

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I went out on a CRH mission for the first time since I had surgery on 7/1. I had 2 full gallon pails of nickels, dimes and cents to dump, then to pick up a few boxes. At the dump bank, a newish/youngish teller handled my change. I have never seen someone *****foot around with the coin counter so much. She'd dump in about 1/10th of the bucket at a time, and didn't load the hopper at all - she was pushing coins in slower than it was counting them. I'm not supposed to be doing very much sitting or standing, and had I known that it would take more than 20 minutes to dump my change I would have waited. Along with her super-slow technique, all 3 of the bags (1/5/10) filled up during my dump. Plus a jam. She cleared the jam and pumped about half a can of compressed air into the moving parts or whatever.

Finally she came back with my 2nd empty pail and finished the transaction. I did get a small bonus though - she handed me back "my" coins that had been caught in the reject tray. A 2006 New Zealand 50c, and a newish Canadian dime. Would have preferred a nice silver half of something for having to wait that long while my body screamed at me, but something is better than nothing I guess.

Upvote 0

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what? She's new, probably hadn't seen that much coin at one time before. Cut her some slack.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree... whenever there is a new teller at my dump bank, I let them know the quickest, easiest and most efficient way to handle my dumps, this assures that both parties are happy(happy enough) with the transaction, most tellers are usually thankful for the tips especially since i've got it down to a system and have been doing this for 6 years now.
Cut her some slack, I've found the new tellers to be the best ones because they are brought into a bank with a pre-existing dump routine so they really can't and won't say much about it due to the fact that "you" were banking and dumping there long before they came.
So what? She's new, probably hadn't seen that much coin at one time before. Cut her some slack.

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe this came off as too cranky. I'm certainly not going to hold it against her if I see her again... and if I'm feeling better, I usually am a pretty patient person especially when it comes to the privilege of having a bank take my loose dump change. The only reason it got to me and I posted about it was because it was kind of a "Murphy's Law" thing: the one time when I really need the process to at least go at a somewhat normal pace, it goes as slow as can be. I was really hurting by the time I finally got home. I know this isn't her fault, and I should've waited until I was feeling better and could tolerate a glitch like this without it being such a big deal.

Golden Eagle

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always ask if the coin counters are in the lobby and refuse to use the ones behind the teller counter. It's super annoying for everyone involved.

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only seen one bank around here (well, one branch of my single dump bank) that has a coin counter available to the public. All the rest only have them behind the counter.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday I went out on a CRH mission for the first time since I had surgery on 7/1. I had 2 full gallon pails of nickels, dimes and cents to dump, then to pick up a few boxes. At the dump bank, a newish/youngish teller handled my change. I have never seen someone *****foot around with the coin counter so much. She'd dump in about 1/10th of the bucket at a time, and didn't load the hopper at all - she was pushing coins in slower than it was counting them. I'm not supposed to be doing very much sitting or standing, and had I known that it would take more than 20 minutes to dump my change I would have waited. Along with her super-slow technique, all 3 of the bags (1/5/10) filled up during my dump. Plus a jam. She cleared the jam and pumped about half a can of compressed air into the moving parts or whatever.

Finally she came back with my 2nd empty pail and finished the transaction. I did get a small bonus though - she handed me back "my" coins that had been caught in the reject tray. A 2006 New Zealand 50c, and a newish Canadian dime. Would have preferred a nice silver half of something for having to wait that long while my body screamed at me, but something is better than nothing I guess.

I had my mom dump coins for me once, I was overloaded, we share the same bank. She went in about a hour before my lunch break, I go in there and she is still there, with less than 500 in halves, pushing in about $2 at a time every 20-30 seconds, waiting for them to count. I tell her she needs to stop and cash out, I will deal with the rest as I only have a 30 minute lunch and it takes 5 just to get to the bank. I am usually done with $700 ish in halves and other change in about 20 minutes round trip. I had a good laugh about that.

Golden Eagle

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best part about doing the lobby coin counters is that you get the receipt!

IMG_20130713_102242_507-1.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions