Angry Walmart...

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
So I only had pennies to pay for my $6.98 bill, due to my CRH obviously. So I went up to the cash register, let them scan my mints, and then put 14 rolls of pennies on the counter. They said they didn't have the vault space for it, so I said "ok." They gave me my mints back and I went to a self checkout :D I really wanted them. It too somewhere between 10-15 minutes. There was hardly anyone there when I checked out, but then a line started to form and I felt badly. The manager said, to not come back and pay in pennies again just cause you think it would be funny. You see, that's not true. Haha the banks were closed at the time and the ONLY money I had was pennies. I have never had a problem at another store ever doing this. So I guess Technically, I can pay in pennies again because I wasn't doing it just cause I thought it was funny. :P

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
CC... I have no problem with what you did, because you obviously realized "oops" and even "felt badly"... after 10 to 15 minutes... just the "technically i can do it again" part ... and if you meant that as a joke, I apologize... HH!

This is the first time I have run pennies through the self checkout. If my rolled pennies get denied I just pull the cash out usually, but I didn't have any this time.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I understand that we can cash in those pennies, etc at WalMarts through their Coinstar, select gift card and not lose due to any fee. That's what I'd done before trying to pay at the cashier. I see your point though. I am just too shy to toss out rolls of pennies to a cashier. martin

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I understand that we can cash in those pennies, etc at WalMarts through their Coinstar, select gift card and not lose due to any fee. That's what I'd done before trying to pay at the cashier. I see your point though. I am just too shy to toss out rolls of pennies to a cashier. martin

This a good point. I forgot about the gift cards coinstar offers. I however do not know if they offer Walmart gift cards, which I doubt.

jmb2email

Apr 14, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO 12" coil, DD 10" coil, 5.3 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"You can't fix stupid" from the great Ron 'tater salad' comes to mind reading this. What goes around comes around bud. What mints cost almost $7 that you have to have ASAP? I'm thinking you thought this was funny and it backfired on you in the store as well as by several members here. Please don't increase the number of CRH haters any more than necessary.

JMB

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still think that you should pay with pennies again just to see if the manager does anything. I don't shop at wal-mart since they are "ghetto" in my area, but i think it would be funny to see what the manager does.

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This problem could easily be solved by making one of the self checkouts at each WalMart into a combination self-checkout / CoinStar machine.

Wait. Forget I said that. I've gotta go apply for a patent.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL thats funny. Tell them next time you want to speak to there boss.
If the say they are the top dog ask for the 1800 number to complain.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
"You can't fix stupid" from the great Ron 'tater salad' comes to mind reading this. What goes around comes around bud. What mints cost almost $7 that you have to have ASAP? I'm thinking you thought this was funny and it backfired on you in the store as well as by several members here. Please don't increase the number of CRH haters any more than necessary.

JMB

Maybe I buy mints in bulk to save money?

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah it's kinda like stores stateing that they will not take any bills larger than a $20.00....well guess what they HAVE it take it or extend you credit....just call the police and show them where it says..."Legal tender for all debts public and private" same with a penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your misinformation in your post, plus your signature, made me LOL pretty hard.

Like was stated, it's a private business, they have the right to refuse service to anyone.

David in Germany

Apr 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please go to YouTube and search for "guy pays tow fee with pennies" this is what I though of when I first read the OPs post. :) Walmart has the right to refuse service to anyone they choose but.. I would give them a reason to not serve me if I got an attitude from the manager. I would be respectful but still put them in their place.
Here in Germany the Army Air force exchange services stopped bringing pennies overseas in the 70s and just round up or down on purchases. I came back from Conus with a pocket full of copper devils and was paying exact to the cent when the cashier told me "we don't take pennies here" I corrected her on the spot and she took my .03 cents instead of charging me .05.
Legal tender, bottom line.

Rushfan

Aug 18, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's what "legal tender" gets ya. Good grief. From the U.S. Department of The Treasury. Click the link at the bottom...!

Legal Tender Status

I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?

The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

Legal Tender Status

xoxo

Last edited:

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for correcting the derp! That's great info.

Edward1976

Jul 9, 2013
USA for now.
Detector(s) used
DFX300, XLT, Laser
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pennies are the red-headed stepchild of the world of currency, I know, I used to run a pizza joint in college, but they ARE legal tender! You should call Wal-Mart head office about this...

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I normally don't shop Waaal Mart, especially groceries. A lot of 3rd world produce, is it all inspected?
I did find a 1970 D half at a bank there once.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I still think that you should pay with pennies again just to see if the manager
does anything. I don't shop at wal-mart since they are "ghetto" in my area, but i think it would be funny to
see what the manager does.

Just because you can (or have the legal right) to do something, does not mean that you should do it!

There is but one single, very simple rule on how to conduct oneself in life:

Don't be an ass.

Like it, or not, the "Law of Eternal Retribution" always rings true over time.
There is no escaping it, no matter who you are, and sooner or later the
scales of life will balance out.

And speaking for myself, life's too damn short to waste time on juvenile pursuits. Wasting
time simply so you can see how far you can push the patience of another, or simply for the
reason that you want to to see what you can get away with is immature (at best), and shows
a complete lack of courtesy towards your fellow humans.

Last edited:

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sure all of us have been in the check out line, and an old lady is checking out, waits till her things are totaled up, THEN starts to dig in her purse for the check book, finally finding it, ask what the date is, who should I make the check out to, cant find her pen. Is it fun? Maybe she was just testing out the cashier? Paying anywhere, with a pocket full of change is a pain in the a$$ for everyone around, cashier an other customers, so why do it? Even if the coins are rolled, how does the cashier know what is in the roll?

Golden Eagle

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've paid with coins in the self checkout machines, but only in the middle of the night and finished up my order whenever someone was waiting. This was before coin roll hunting....

I was also using quarters in my mix, so it wasn't hard to shoot through a $15 order, either.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This getting good :happy1:

Honestly, I think anything that needed to be said, has been said.
Anything beyond might simply be
beatdeadhorse.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread