Angry Walmart...

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
So I only had pennies to pay for my $6.98 bill, due to my CRH obviously. So I went up to the cash register, let them scan my mints, and then put 14 rolls of pennies on the counter. They said they didn't have the vault space for it, so I said "ok." They gave me my mints back and I went to a self checkout :D I really wanted them. It too somewhere between 10-15 minutes. There was hardly anyone there when I checked out, but then a line started to form and I felt badly. The manager said, to not come back and pay in pennies again just cause you think it would be funny. You see, that's not true. Haha the banks were closed at the time and the ONLY money I had was pennies. I have never had a problem at another store ever doing this. So I guess Technically, I can pay in pennies again because I wasn't doing it just cause I thought it was funny. :P

Upvote 0

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took me a second to understand that you were talking about the kind of mints you eat, and not "mint" in any of the numismatic definitions of the word. Funny story though.

Rushfan

Aug 18, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Technically. Wait, the manager called them pennies, and they are technically cents! His point is invalid...!

The manager said, to not come back and pay in pennies again The manager was clear not to pay in pennies again, right? He or she may have had your motive wrong, but that invalidates the request? You even said you felt badly for the people waiting in line behind you. Can't you figure it out? You get all riled up when people bring your age into things, then you do things that show your age. That's why people comment on it.

10 to 15 minutes? Do it at my Walmart, with me stuck in line behind you, and the manager won't be the only one speaking to you. Go ahead, be a rebel. Or, be mature, figure it out, and respect it. Your call. At least your breath was minty fresh...!

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah it's kinda like stores stateing that they will not take any bills larger than a $20.00....well guess what they HAVE it take it or extend you credit....just call the police and show them where it says..."Legal tender for all debts public and private" same with a penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would never use any market or store as a coin dump location, but can understand that in
serious situations one might have to pay a small grocery bill completely in coin. Otherwise,
using an ATM or Debit card would be much easier and more appropriate at a store checkout.

Yes, pennies, cents and other US coins are legal tender, but one should also consider that
just because we have the right to do something, that does not, in any way, make it
the right thing for us to do.

Personally, I wouldn't walk through the doors of a WalMart, and if you feel they were excessively
rude when explaining their policies about coins, perhaps taking your business to another store
would be the best way to express your displeasure.

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all about courtesy . Don't draw attention to yourself or bother others while enjoying your hobbie . Just like people searching beaches on a weekend afternoon with hundreds of people , then complain that kids & adults bothered them with questions or somebody gave you attitude . Fly under the radar when enjoying hobbies people don't understand .....:thumbsup:

Much less frustrating .

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I would never use any market or store as a coin dump location, but can understand that in
serious situations one might have to pay a small grocery bill completely in coin. Otherwise,
using an ATM or Debit card would be much easier and more appropriate at a store checkout.

Yes, pennies, cents and other US coins are legal tender, but one should also consider that
just because we have the right to do something, that does not, in any way, make it
the right thing for us to do.

Personally, I wouldn't walk through the doors of a WalMart, and if you feel they were excessively
rude when explaining their policies about coins, perhaps taking your business to another store
would be the best way to express your displeasure.

I didn't have my wallet on me and it doesn't matter cause all my debit cards have less than $1.00 on then. I'm going to keep shopping at Walmart for their low prices. Like let's be honest for Walmart to go through $7.00 in cents it probably takes them less than a few hours between their whole 15-20 registers they have open. Now if it's a place like Pizza Hut then I think it is rude to pay for a $10.00 pizza in pennies because it would take them a long time to go through all those pennies.

Rushfan

Aug 18, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Other
I know what is printed on the bill. However, please show me a local, state, or federal law that says a private business has to accept a large domination bill at any time of the day or night. A private business can set its own policy on what it accepts.

So, me and 6 of my friends can go to my local liquor store at 1 in the morning, each get in line and purchase a pack of gum, and each of us pay with a $100 bill...? And then, call the cops if the store reuses? Your local cop will only laugh and tell you to pay with a smaller bills or go somewhere else... try it sometime and then report back.

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I know what is printed on the bill. However, please show me a local, state, or federal law that says a private business has to accept a large domination bill at any time of the day or night. A private business can set its own policy on what it accepts.

So, me and 6 of my friends can go to my local liquor store at 1 in the morning, each get in line and purchase a pack of gum, and each of us pay with a $100 bill...? And then, call the cops if the store reuses? Your local cop will only laugh and tell you to pay with a smaller bills or go somewhere else... try it sometime and then report back.

Yeah I agree with this. And it's not a debt when you purchase something from a store anyways. A debt is a mortgage payment or going out to eat at a restaurant or something like that.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First wal mart lines are always long. Never enough check out clerks which drives a lot of customers to the long self check out lines. I some times get irritated at slow people but then I think " I don't know what is causing them to be slow" so I just wait. If you were in front of me at wal mart with all those pennies/cents I would be wondering how many of those are wheat cents, wonder if I offered 5 dollars would he sell them to me? Then check out and never give it another thought. You just have to do what you have to do.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technically. Wait, the manager called them pennies, and they are technically cents! His point is invalid...!

The manager said, to not come back and pay in pennies again The manager was clear not to pay in pennies again, right? He or she may have had your motive wrong, but that invalidates the request? You even said you felt badly for the people waiting in line behind you. Can't you figure it out? You get all riled up when people bring your age into things, then you do things that show your age. That's why people comment on it.

10 to 15 minutes? Do it at my Walmart, with me stuck in line behind you, and the manager won't be the only one speaking to you. Go ahead, be a rebel. Or, be mature, figure it out, and respect it. Your call. At least your breath was minty fresh...!

It sounds like the manager was the one "showing his age". Coppercrazy tried to use legal tender to pay for an item. He didn't dump $7 in loose pennies on the cashier. He gave them rolls and they didn't accept them. I'm guessing they used the 'vault' excuse because they didn't have enough space in the registrar and/or didn't want to call a manager/attendant. It really doesn't matter if it was an excuse or not. They should have the ability to accept $7 in pennies.

BTW, If someone behind him didn't like standing in line, they should simply shuffle their feet a few times and move to one of the other 10 lines. If someone were to verbally confront him for using pennies, I'd say they were the one that need a maturity lesson.

Last edited:

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

After my last reply, this may surprise you but I agree...with everything you said here. Private business has the right to refuse service even if you have exact change. A cop isn't going to do anything if you complain that someone won't accept legal tender for an unconsumed good or service. Now payment for a good or service that has already been consumed...might be different.

Rushfan

Aug 18, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Shop much? One person at a register for 10 to 15 minutes may be okay for you and your zen-like patience.

I would never pay with cents if it inconveniences others. Even if it was legal. There are certain public, unwritten codes that when everyone abides by, life in urban society is much nicer. Don't be the only one standing at a concert. Got a grocery cart full of stuff and someone with a single item behind you? Let them go first. Holding the door for the next person.... Paying with pennies at a self checkout, if it inconveniences others, gets on my list. Your list may vary.

Think me and them 6 friends will get to the registers at the same time, and pay with pennies. Any one gives me any lip, and I'll shout, "legal tender!"... lol

OP
OP
Coppercrazy

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Shop much? One person at a register for 10 to 15 minutes may be okay for you and your zen-like patience.

I would never pay with cents if it inconveniences others. Even if it was legal. There are certain public, unwritten codes that when everyone abides by, life in urban society is much nicer. Don't be the only one standing at a concert. Got a grocery cart full of stuff and someone with a single item behind you? Let them go first. Holding the door for the next person.... Paying with pennies at a self checkout, if it inconveniences others, gets on my list. Your list may vary.

Think me and them 6 friends will get to the registers at the same time, and pay with pennies. Any one gives me any lip, and I'll shout, "legal tender!"... lol

When I went there was only 1 of the 4 self checkouts being used. I figured it would be ok since there are still 3 other self check outs, 2 of which weren't even being used.

Rushfan

Aug 18, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Other
But, I do agree... CC tried to pay with the rolls and was rebuffed, and went to the self checkout, not as a first choice ... but the idea that he would repeat this because the manager mis-stated his motive...
:-(

HH...!

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i was behind you in line, i'd offer to buy them from you if I had the bills to do so. 1st reason is out of curiosity to what might be in there and 2nd reason just to to speed up the line. Practical solution.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How dare you! You should be drawn & quartered!!! I hope you atleast cleaned them b4 using them! :occasion14:

Rushfan

Aug 18, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Other
CC... I have no problem with what you did, because you obviously realized "oops" and even "felt badly"... after 10 to 15 minutes... just the "technically i can do it again" part ... and if you meant that as a joke, I apologize... HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread