Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Angry Walmart...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    Charter Member
    us
    James

    Jun 2012
    Ohio
    1,530
    303 times

    Angry Walmart...

    So I only had pennies to pay for my $6.98 bill, due to my CRH obviously. So I went up to the cash register, let them scan my mints, and then put 14 rolls of pennies on the counter. They said they didn't have the vault space for it, so I said "ok." They gave me my mints back and I went to a self checkout I really wanted them. It too somewhere between 10-15 minutes. There was hardly anyone there when I checked out, but then a line started to form and I felt badly. The manager said, to not come back and pay in pennies again just cause you think it would be funny. You see, that's not true. Haha the banks were closed at the time and the ONLY money I had was pennies. I have never had a problem at another store ever doing this. So I guess Technically, I can pay in pennies again because I wasn't doing it just cause I thought it was funny. :P
    Sleepy Holow likes this.
    2014 Goals:

    201/1000 Wheat Cents
    0/10 Indian Head Cents
    0/1 1984 DDO/Doubled Ear
    0/1 1995 DDO Cent
    0/2 1999 WAM Cent
    3/8 WAM Cents (not including 99s)

    $315 Cents Searched

    Lifetime Goals:

    0/1 1992 P/D Close AM Cent
    0/1 1988D RDV-006
    0/1 1983 DDR

  2. #2
    us
    May 2013
    WI
    405
    175 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Took me a second to understand that you were talking about the kind of mints you eat, and not "mint" in any of the numismatic definitions of the word. Funny story though.
    sagittarius98 likes this.
    "We never go after things in themselves, but the pursuit of things." - Blaise Pascal

  3. #3
    us
    R.I.P. Rich Hartford, You'll be missed.

    Feb 2011
    in front of you in the bank
    7,316
    1263 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    dude, pennies are legal tender, time to dump on wal-mart!
    Sleepy Holow likes this.
    HH
    BuffaloBoy

  4. #4
    us
    Aug 2012
    Southern California
    343
    194 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Technically. Wait, the manager called them pennies, and they are technically cents! His point is invalid...!

    The manager said, to not come back and pay in pennies again The manager was clear not to pay in pennies again, right? He or she may have had your motive wrong, but that invalidates the request? You even said you felt badly for the people waiting in line behind you. Can't you figure it out? You get all riled up when people bring your age into things, then you do things that show your age. That's why people comment on it.

    10 to 15 minutes? Do it at my Walmart, with me stuck in line behind you, and the manager won't be the only one speaking to you. Go ahead, be a rebel. Or, be mature, figure it out, and respect it. Your call. At least your breath was minty fresh...!
    DizzyDigger and sagittarius98 like this.

  5. #5
    us
    Pannin' Fer Gold!! WolfPack="WP"

    Feb 2011
    Greenwood, SC
    Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
    253
    188 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    yeah it's kinda like stores stateing that they will not take any bills larger than a $20.00....well guess what they HAVE it take it or extend you credit....just call the police and show them where it says..."Legal tender for all debts public and private" same with a penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GODS, GUNS & GUTS made this COUNTRY FREE...I'll KEEP all THREE you can have the CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!

  6. #6
    Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    1,526
    1604 times
    Prospecting
    I would never use any market or store as a coin dump location, but can understand that in
    serious situations one might have to pay a small grocery bill completely in coin. Otherwise,
    using an ATM or Debit card would be much easier and more appropriate at a store checkout.

    Yes, pennies, cents and other US coins are legal tender, but one should also consider that
    just because we have the right to do something, that does not, in any way, make it
    the right thing for us to do.

    Personally, I wouldn't walk through the doors of a WalMart, and if you feel they were excessively
    rude when explaining their policies about coins, perhaps taking your business to another store
    would be the best way to express your displeasure.
    sagittarius98 and Rushfan like this.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

    "Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more
    common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost
    a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated failures.
    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."
    Calvin Coolidge

    "You can't live in fear".....Johnny Blaze

    The Essence of Compassion

    "Resolve to be tender with the young, Compassionate with the aged,
    Sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and wrong......
    ...... because sometime in your life you have been guilty of all of these."

    Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

  7. #7
    us
    Sep 2012
    Butler county Pa.
    Whites XLT
    615
    290 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    It's all about courtesy . Don't draw attention to yourself or bother others while enjoying your hobbie . Just like people searching beaches on a weekend afternoon with hundreds of people , then complain that kids & adults bothered them with questions or somebody gave you attitude . Fly under the radar when enjoying hobbies people don't understand .....

    Much less frustrating .
    Rushfan and ramjet2187 like this.

  8. #8
    Charter Member
    us
    James

    Jun 2012
    Ohio
    1,530
    303 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DizzyDigger View Post
    I would never use any market or store as a coin dump location, but can understand that in
    serious situations one might have to pay a small grocery bill completely in coin. Otherwise,
    using an ATM or Debit card would be much easier and more appropriate at a store checkout.

    Yes, pennies, cents and other US coins are legal tender, but one should also consider that
    just because we have the right to do something, that does not, in any way, make it
    the right thing for us to do.

    Personally, I wouldn't walk through the doors of a WalMart, and if you feel they were excessively
    rude when explaining their policies about coins, perhaps taking your business to another store
    would be the best way to express your displeasure.
    I didn't have my wallet on me and it doesn't matter cause all my debit cards have less than $1.00 on then. I'm going to keep shopping at Walmart for their low prices. Like let's be honest for Walmart to go through $7.00 in cents it probably takes them less than a few hours between their whole 15-20 registers they have open. Now if it's a place like Pizza Hut then I think it is rude to pay for a $10.00 pizza in pennies because it would take them a long time to go through all those pennies.
    2014 Goals:

    201/1000 Wheat Cents
    0/10 Indian Head Cents
    0/1 1984 DDO/Doubled Ear
    0/1 1995 DDO Cent
    0/2 1999 WAM Cent
    3/8 WAM Cents (not including 99s)

    $315 Cents Searched

    Lifetime Goals:

    0/1 1992 P/D Close AM Cent
    0/1 1988D RDV-006
    0/1 1983 DDR

  9. #9
    us
    Aug 2012
    Southern California
    343
    194 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    I know what is printed on the bill. However, please show me a local, state, or federal law that says a private business has to accept a large domination bill at any time of the day or night. A private business can set its own policy on what it accepts.

    So, me and 6 of my friends can go to my local liquor store at 1 in the morning, each get in line and purchase a pack of gum, and each of us pay with a $100 bill...? And then, call the cops if the store reuses? Your local cop will only laugh and tell you to pay with a smaller bills or go somewhere else... try it sometime and then report back.
    sagittarius98 and Joe777Cool like this.

  10. #10
    Charter Member
    us
    James

    Jun 2012
    Ohio
    1,530
    303 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushfan View Post
    I know what is printed on the bill. However, please show me a local, state, or federal law that says a private business has to accept a large domination bill at any time of the day or night. A private business can set its own policy on what it accepts.

    So, me and 6 of my friends can go to my local liquor store at 1 in the morning, each get in line and purchase a pack of gum, and each of us pay with a $100 bill...? And then, call the cops if the store reuses? Your local cop will only laugh and tell you to pay with a smaller bills or go somewhere else... try it sometime and then report back.
    Yeah I agree with this. And it's not a debt when you purchase something from a store anyways. A debt is a mortgage payment or going out to eat at a restaurant or something like that.
    2014 Goals:

    201/1000 Wheat Cents
    0/10 Indian Head Cents
    0/1 1984 DDO/Doubled Ear
    0/1 1995 DDO Cent
    0/2 1999 WAM Cent
    3/8 WAM Cents (not including 99s)

    $315 Cents Searched

    Lifetime Goals:

    0/1 1992 P/D Close AM Cent
    0/1 1988D RDV-006
    0/1 1983 DDR

  11. #11
    us
    May 2008
    Oklahoma
    Ace 250
    677
    148 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    First wal mart lines are always long. Never enough check out clerks which drives a lot of customers to the long self check out lines. I some times get irritated at slow people but then I think " I don't know what is causing them to be slow" so I just wait. If you were in front of me at wal mart with all those pennies/cents I would be wondering how many of those are wheat cents, wonder if I offered 5 dollars would he sell them to me? Then check out and never give it another thought. You just have to do what you have to do.
    Fire Buttons Pressed

  12. #12

    Jun 2012
    147
    64 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushfan View Post
    Technically. Wait, the manager called them pennies, and they are technically cents! His point is invalid...!

    The manager said, to not come back and pay in pennies again The manager was clear not to pay in pennies again, right? He or she may have had your motive wrong, but that invalidates the request? You even said you felt badly for the people waiting in line behind you. Can't you figure it out? You get all riled up when people bring your age into things, then you do things that show your age. That's why people comment on it.

    10 to 15 minutes? Do it at my Walmart, with me stuck in line behind you, and the manager won't be the only one speaking to you. Go ahead, be a rebel. Or, be mature, figure it out, and respect it. Your call. At least your breath was minty fresh...!
    It sounds like the manager was the one "showing his age". Coppercrazy tried to use legal tender to pay for an item. He didn't dump $7 in loose pennies on the cashier. He gave them rolls and they didn't accept them. I'm guessing they used the 'vault' excuse because they didn't have enough space in the registrar and/or didn't want to call a manager/attendant. It really doesn't matter if it was an excuse or not. They should have the ability to accept $7 in pennies.

    BTW, If someone behind him didn't like standing in line, they should simply shuffle their feet a few times and move to one of the other 10 lines. If someone were to verbally confront him for using pennies, I'd say they were the one that need a maturity lesson.
    Last edited by Owassokie; Jul 11, 2013 at 10:49 AM.
    TheMastermind likes this.

  13. #13

    Jun 2012
    147
    64 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushfan View Post
    I know what is printed on the bill. However, please show me a local, state, or federal law that says a private business has to accept a large domination bill at any time of the day or night. A private business can set its own policy on what it accepts.

    So, me and 6 of my friends can go to my local liquor store at 1 in the morning, each get in line and purchase a pack of gum, and each of us pay with a $100 bill...? And then, call the cops if the store reuses? Your local cop will only laugh and tell you to pay with a smaller bills or go somewhere else... try it sometime and then report back.
    After my last reply, this may surprise you but I agree...with everything you said here. Private business has the right to refuse service even if you have exact change. A cop isn't going to do anything if you complain that someone won't accept legal tender for an unconsumed good or service. Now payment for a good or service that has already been consumed...might be different.
    Joe777Cool and Rushfan like this.

  14. #14
    us
    Aug 2012
    Southern California
    343
    194 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Shop much? One person at a register for 10 to 15 minutes may be okay for you and your zen-like patience.

    I would never pay with cents if it inconveniences others. Even if it was legal. There are certain public, unwritten codes that when everyone abides by, life in urban society is much nicer. Don't be the only one standing at a concert. Got a grocery cart full of stuff and someone with a single item behind you? Let them go first. Holding the door for the next person.... Paying with pennies at a self checkout, if it inconveniences others, gets on my list. Your list may vary.

    Think me and them 6 friends will get to the registers at the same time, and pay with pennies. Any one gives me any lip, and I'll shout, "legal tender!"... lol

  15. #15
    Charter Member
    us
    James

    Jun 2012
    Ohio
    1,530
    303 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushfan View Post
    Shop much? One person at a register for 10 to 15 minutes may be okay for you and your zen-like patience.

    I would never pay with cents if it inconveniences others. Even if it was legal. There are certain public, unwritten codes that when everyone abides by, life in urban society is much nicer. Don't be the only one standing at a concert. Got a grocery cart full of stuff and someone with a single item behind you? Let them go first. Holding the door for the next person.... Paying with pennies at a self checkout, if it inconveniences others, gets on my list. Your list may vary.

    Think me and them 6 friends will get to the registers at the same time, and pay with pennies. Any one gives me any lip, and I'll shout, "legal tender!"... lol
    When I went there was only 1 of the 4 self checkouts being used. I figured it would be ok since there are still 3 other self check outs, 2 of which weren't even being used.
    Rushfan likes this.
    2014 Goals:

    201/1000 Wheat Cents
    0/10 Indian Head Cents
    0/1 1984 DDO/Doubled Ear
    0/1 1995 DDO Cent
    0/2 1999 WAM Cent
    3/8 WAM Cents (not including 99s)

    $315 Cents Searched

    Lifetime Goals:

    0/1 1992 P/D Close AM Cent
    0/1 1988D RDV-006
    0/1 1983 DDR

 

 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. The other day, a semi angry sky.....
    By bravowhiskey in forum My Daily Snapshot
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Aug 12, 2009, 06:41 PM
  2. Angry little cloud
    By bigfish31 in forum My Daily Snapshot
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Feb 27, 2009, 09:53 PM
  3. Angry Couple
    By Ray S S in forum Comedy Central
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sep 03, 2008, 10:24 AM
  4. Very angry
    By watercolor in forum My Daily Snapshot
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jul 15, 2007, 08:03 PM
  5. 50 coin day: wet, angry and in the bag
    By leslie(nova scotia) in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jul 07, 2007, 11:41 AM

Search tags for this page

can you pay in pennies at the walmart self checkout
,
coin roll hunting at walmart
,

walmart self checkout pennies

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3