ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally speaking, war nickels are the "ugly red-headed stepchild" of the U.S. silver coin scene. Thet are by far the least popular and have the lowest demand. Therefore you'll be lucky to find an LCS that will purchase them at anywhere near melt.

OP
OP
hrnewsome

hrnewsome

Jun 19, 2013
Generally speaking, war nickels are the "ugly red-headed stepchild" of the U.S. silver coin scene. Thet are by far the least popular and have the lowest demand. Therefore you'll be lucky to find an LCS that will purchase them at anywhere near melt.

Thanks, coin book lists them at $3-$4 ea, but I noticed they weren't even close to that on eBay. I really don't want to stack them because of the low Ag content so I was hoping to just sell them or trade them for 90% coins.

If I don't find silver it's not because I'm not looking!

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, coin book lists them at $3-$4 ea, but I noticed they weren't even close to that on eBay. I really don't want to stack them because of the low Ag content so I was hoping to just sell them or trade them for 90% coins.

eBay sold listings are the best "coin book" out there IMO. It's what someone is willing to pay for a coin today not just what it "should" be worth

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
If you want to sell them, I know APMEX has a bid for them. they are about the only place I know that buys them. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
hrnewsome

hrnewsome

Jun 19, 2013
If you want to sell them, I know APMEX has a bid for them. they are about the only place I know that buys them. Hope that helps.

Who is APMEX?

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you take a look at ebay, warnics almost always sell for more than melt in bulk, and usually for one-offs, too. Lately they've been going for about $1.35, while melt is only about $1.12. Warnics also contain the highest percentage of silver respective of denomination at 2,226%--1964 Kennedy halves are just $1,443% and Morgan dollars just 1,543%--and on top of that they are one of the most consistent silver coins you can CRH. And besides, some red-heads are gorgeous (Amy Pond, anyone?) be they step-children or not...

Last edited:
OP
OP
hrnewsome

hrnewsome

Jun 19, 2013
If you take a look at ebay, warnics almost always sell for more than melt in bulk, and usually for one-offs, too. Lately they've been going for about $1.35, while melt is only about $1.12. Warnics also contain the highest percentage of silver respective of denomination at 2,226%--1964 Kennedy halves are just $1,443% and Morgan dollars just 1,543%--and on top of that they are one of the most consistent silver coins you can CRH. And besides, some red-heads are gorgeous (Amy Pond, anyone?) be they step-children or not...

Point well taken!

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
War Nickel would be an excellent name for a rock band.

Just had to get that off my chest.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got 1 today at the post office. I was sending some silver to a crh on our sight tnet. And it was in my change. I only have about 2 rolls of them.

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
I got 1 today at the post office. I was sending some silver to a crh on our sight tnet. And it was in my change. I only have about 2 rolls of them.

you mean to tell me I have more silver coin denomination than timzim?? Yes!!!
eminem-32-looks-happy_large[1].jpg

hotrod

Bronze Member
May 12, 2012
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my local shop buys 40%ers a war nicks for 80% of spot!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions