World reserve monetary exchange scam: update

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, a lot of you were pretty tough on Tomfromnj and me for being so gullible. We didn't do some simple research by checking the company out on Bbb or just a search of complaints online. Duly noted, lesson learned, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't, Barnum bailey...blah blah. A little kinder transmission of your wisdom in the future would be welcome.

Okay, so the World Reserve was selling "unsearched" silver vault bags to a limited number of zip codes with a short deadline containing a 100 US coins for $99. Some silver including a walking liberty and older dates were promised. Here is what I got in order of "value":
1 waking liberty 1942
2 mercury dimes
1 war nickel
3 buffalo nickels
3 v-nickels
2-steel cents
1-Ike 1972
3-gold dollars
2-Kennedy clad halves
3-clad quarters
18-clad dimes
61-common nickels
1-Canadian nickel
Face value around $11 and collector value maybe $30 including the $10 of common clad and nickels.
image-3427972087.jpg
So, it's a scam in the sense that the advertising is misleading, preys upon the treasure hunting type of personality, and carries a 200% premium. I requested a refund and after some vocal arm twisting which included: "scam", "bait and switch", and "attorney general of Ohio", they actually obliged and accepted my return with a full refund.

So, lesson learned, silver isn't free...unless you find it in the reject tray.

Please don't give me or Tomfromnj any more sage advice on the matter. :) Happy hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shay's here

May 1, 2013
California
Primary Interest:
Other
So glad you got a refund! :hello2: I have a couple of lessons learned incidents under my belt with silver hunting, I know how you feel.
Best of luck on your next hunt :icon_thumright:

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the detailed report on what you got...I know many of us were curious to know what they would send. I was hoping you were going to get some kind of key date that maybe they overlooked, but it is what it is. Good job getting your money back.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad you got your money back and I commend you for posting a follow up report. Many people wouldn't have had the guts to put up the report after the bashing you guys took. I apologize if anything I said in the original thread came off as too harsh. I just didn't want to see a bunch of people get taken advantage of.

First of all, a lot of you were pretty tough on Tomfromnj and me for being so gullible. We didn't do some simple research by checking the company out on Bbb or just a search of complaints online. Duly noted, lesson learned, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't, Barnum bailey...blah blah. A little kinder transmission of your wisdom in the future would be welcome.

Okay, so the World Reserve was selling "unsearched" silver vault bags to a limited number of zip codes with a short deadline containing a 100 US coins for $99. Some silver including a walking liberty and older dates were promised. Here is what I got in order of "value":
1 waking liberty 1942
2 mercury dimes
1 war nickel
3 buffalo nickels
3 v-nickels
2-steel cents
1-Ike 1972
3-gold dollars
2-Kennedy clad halves
3-clad quarters
18-clad dimes
61-common nickels
1-Canadian nickel
Face value around $11 and collector value maybe $30 including the $10 of common clad and nickels.
View attachment 829175
So, it's a scam in the sense that the advertising is misleading, preys upon the treasure hunting type of personality, and carries a 200% premium. I requested a refund and after some vocal arm twisting which included: "scam", "bait and switch", and "attorney general of Ohio", they actually obliged and accepted my return with a full refund.

So, lesson learned, silver isn't free...unless you find it in the reject tray.

Please don't give me or Tomfromnj any more sage advice on the matter. :) Happy hunting.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I'm glad you got your money back and I commend you for posting a follow up report. Many people wouldn't have had the guts to put up the report after the bashing you guys took. I apologize if anything I said in the original thread came off as too harsh. I just didn't want to see a bunch of people get taken advantage of.

Completely agree

:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Zero

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fish on: I consider you a good friend in CRH. So, no problem.

I think most of the pile-on stemmed from concern that our posts would encourage others to get taken advantage of as well. Looking back on it. I can't believe I fell for it. For some reason, I was convinced the federal government was redistributing some silver that had been sitting around. After reading the ad a bit closer and the complaints at the BBB, I knew I was in trouble. They did include a pretty nice looking 1926P buffalo nickel worth maybe $3 to a collector, but I am a stacker, so a silver vault bag should contain more than 2-mercs, a war nick, and a walker. I imagine that they put these vault bags together using coins that have already been searched through and they know how much they are worth. The person I talked to on the phone seemed very knowledgeable about the number and type of coins in the bag. If they had just put enough junk silver in there to make it worth $70 or so, then I probably would have kept it and considered it fun to look through. They just made it so far below the retail price, it just didn't seem right. At first, I was just going to call it a loss and hang on to the 4 silver coins, but then I started thinking for $99 I could have bought 4 ASE's or 10 walkers. It also felt good to send it back, so that I wouldn't be reminded of being swindled every time I looked at a walking liberty in my stash.

Tomfromnj

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the vote of confidence and yes I already apologized for this and will not again lol. I'm glad you got your money back as I canceled my bag the very next day. But if your looking for a reputable place to buy vault bags full of silver you can go to 90% U.S. Silver Coins time im bought some stuff from this site and I have read 90% of post and all with positive results. But you pay over premium. I'm just here trying to help so don't murder me over this. Do your research.

OP
OP
Zero

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the vote of confidence and yes I already apologized for this and will not again lol. I'm glad you got your money back as I canceled my bag the very next day. But if your looking for a reputable place to buy vault bags full of silver you can go to 90% U.S. Silver Coins time im bought some stuff from this site and I have read 90% of post and all with positive results. But you pay over premium. I'm just here trying to help so don't murder me over this. Do your research.

All is forgiven...I take full responsibility for my actions on this. Glad it worked out for you as well.

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was about to tell you to sue for false advertising because of the canadian nickel... but i added it up and its 100 US coins not including the canadian nickel. Anyways thanks for the advice about "attorney general of Ohio". Never know when that might come in handy ;)

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like what fish on said... Atleast you still followed up on it, honesty is a rare quality these days...

I did see that post as it was active, but I think I kept out of it :P

HH

OP
OP
Zero

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was about to tell you to sue for false advertising because of the canadian nickel... but i added it up and its 100 US coins not including the canadian nickel. Anyways thanks for the advice about "attorney general of Ohio". Never know when that might come in handy ;)
Actually, it was advertised as 100 us coins plus a free walker...so the Canadian was a mistake on their part. They don't seem like a company with a conscience but the attorney general of Ohio has been contacted by several people who felt ripped off. So, they are feeling some pressure perhaps.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, if you want to purchase pm's, there is a slightly cheaper place to do it and they are very reputable- GOLD BULLION COINS | American Silver Eagles | BUY SILVER BULLION ROUNDS & BARS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread